Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default MISS THE SHIP

Did anybody ever miss the ship because of a late flight or some other reason. the one time that I did not arrive one day earlier. I miss the cruise. There was a big ice storm in Montreal and all flights were leaving
late. I arrive 1 hour after the ship sail. Never again will I fly on the day of the cruise.. because of I had taken out cruise insurence i was pay back for the cruise
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: MISS THE SHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
Did anybody ever miss the ship because of a late flight or some other reason. the one time that I did not arrive one day earlier. I miss the cruise. There was a big ice storm in Montreal and all flights were leaving
late. I arrive 1 hour after the ship sail. Never again will I fly on the day of the cruise.. because of I had taken out cruise insurence i was pay back for the cruise
Yep ... been there done that. Got to spend two days in Costa Rica taking an "unscheduled" land vacation. Only difference with me is that weather wasn't even a factor. The airplane blew an engine shortly after takeoff and we had to divert. By the time they got the airplane fixed and back in the air, bye bye Rotterdam.

Wish I could say I will never fly on the day of the cruise again. But, sadly I've had to do it several times since, and will do it again in three weeks. I work night work and sometimes it is just impossible to get the night off before the cruise. Also, available vacation days is an issue as well. So, unfortunately, I pays my money and I takes my chances. Travel insurance minimizes the risk of unforeseen expenses as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Came mighty close in December when fog hit Houston and delayed the SWA flights. Flying in a day in advance is a good idea.

Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
There was a big ice storm in Montreal and all flights were leaving
One other way around this ... if you ever can't leave the day before the cruise ... is to book your air through the cruise line. Sure, you'll pay more, but at least then the cruise line has to take responsibility to either hold the ship for you in the event of flight delays, or get you to the next port of call at their expense.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

For our cruise on the 1st, we are having to fly out the day of the cruise. Fortunately, there are 3 direct flights from RDU to FLL that would get us there on time and we are on the first one of those 3. There is a 4th flight that would get us there at the same time we are scheduled to sail. Fortunately, we booked our air through the cruiseline. So I'm not going to worry too much about flying down the day of the cruise. If we won't be able to get from Raleigh to Fort Lauderdale with 4 possible flights, my guess is that a LOT of other passengers will be having troubles.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Fortunately, we booked our air through the cruiseline. So I'm not going to worry too much about flying down the day of the cruise.
Just don't forget to bring along that emergency number the cruise line gives you to call if there are flight delays. If you're booked through them, they will provide you with further instructions, and possibly alternative flights if you encounter problems with the originally booked airline.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
For our cruise on the 1st, we are having to fly out the day of the cruise. Fortunately, there are 3 direct flights from RDU to FLL that would get us there on time and we are on the first one of those 3. There is a 4th flight that would get us there at the same time we are scheduled to sail. Fortunately, we booked our air through the cruiseline. So I'm not going to worry too much about flying down the day of the cruise. If we won't be able to get from Raleigh to Fort Lauderdale with 4 possible flights, my guess is that a LOT of other passengers will be having troubles.

We flew from RDU to Tampa for our cruise this month - and the weather was 'iffy' but the only time we could fly out was the morning we needed to board. We made it, with plenty of time to spare, but when we had a layover in Atlanta and they made us change planes, I sure was a bit nervous!!!
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Many years ago we missed a cruise even though we were flying down the day before the cruise. The reason was partly due to an ice/snow storm the previous day, but mainly because they had run out of de-icing fluid at the airport.

The flights that left between 7 & 9am, were so heavily encrusted with ice that they had to use about 6 times the normal amount so that by the time our flight was scheduled to go at 11am there wasn't any de-icing fluid.

The annoying part of this whole fiasco was that we were in the boarding area and they didn't announce the cancellation of our flight until about 20 minutes before we were to leave. :evil:

Because the airline wouldn't/couldn't confirm a seat for us the next day on an early flight, we cancelled. Fortunately we had insurance and it paid for the cost of the cruise and the flight.

Always pays to get insurance.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Passenger

The one and only time that we were to fly the morning of the cruise was bright and beautiful. We were sitting on the plane, a regional jet, when I noticed men pointing at the wheel area of the plane. Soon more men were pointing. Not a good sign. Seems there was a leak in the hydraulic system. The flight was canceled and because it was school vacation there was no other plane to replace it. Now, of course, I would much rather they find a problem before the flight than later, but you can imagine how we felt. We figured our vacation was doomed. Everyone on the plane had to return to the desk and try to rebook. Well, as I said, it was a school vacation. We watched as a honeymoon couple broke into tears, a family taking a cruise out of New Orleans were told it would be at least two days before they could get out, and so on. We were near the end of the line and were figuring there was no hope. When our turn finally came, the rep at the desk looked at our docs.....we had booked the flight through HAL....and left to contact HAL and see what she could do. Seems that the ship was undergoing some maintenance in port and would be delayed so they might wait for us. So somehow the rep (she was wonderful) got us on a plane to Detroit (yes, Detroit) to go to Florida. When we finally got to Ft. Lauderdale, a HAL rep met us and immediately called the ship's Captain. She rushed us onto a bus, just us. We arrived at the terminal and were whisked through security, etc.. No other passengers were there since we arrived two hours after the ship was supposed to sail! They rushed us through the crew door...no fancy entrance for us. We were just thrilled to be aboard! In this case, thank heavens we booked the flight through HAL!
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

I have never missed the ship. However on our last cruise on the Golden Princess an AA flight did not get off the ground in Miami for Santiago Chile. Twenty-one folks missed the ship.

They finally caught up with the ship 3 days later. All they got was a 2 day comp off the cruise fare. Hotels, meals, and the flight to catch the ship was paid for by AA/Princess.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM
First Mate

Default MISS THE SHIP

As kryos mentioned, if you book your flight through the cruise line, they will hold the ship until you arrive. That happened on our Hawaiian cruise.
We had to wait departure for around 30min. before the couple arrived due to a late flight.

crabbie1
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1
As kryos mentioned, if you book your flight through the cruise line, they will hold the ship until you arrive. That happened on our Hawaiian cruise.
We had to wait departure for around 30min. before the couple arrived due to a late flight.
Well, they don't HAVE to hold the ship ... but they are likely to since if they sail, HAL will have to get the folks who missed it to the first port of call at cruiseline expense. So, I guess they weigh their options and if a few people who booked air through them are gonna be really late ... so late as to impact the possibility of the ship making it to the first port on time, then they will release the ship to sail and part with the cash to get the few latecomers to the ship at its first port stop.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toley
So somehow the rep (she was wonderful) got us on a plane to Detroit (yes, Detroit) to go to Florida. When we finally got to Ft. Lauderdale, a HAL rep met us and immediately called the ship's Captain. She rushed us onto a bus, just us. We arrived at the terminal and were whisked through security, etc.. No other passengers were there since we arrived two hours after the ship was supposed to sail! They rushed us through the crew door...no fancy entrance for us. We were just thrilled to be aboard! In this case, thank heavens we booked the flight through HAL!
And on the cruise I missed, the exact opposite happened ... because we did not book through HAL. There were six of us on the delayed flight that were supposed to sail the Rotterdam. When we called that HAL flight services number, which the brochure tells everyone to call if there are flight delays, the first question the woman asked us was if we had booked our air through HAL. When we told her no, she didn't even want to be bothered with us. The airline also wasn't going to do anything special to help us. We were stranded right along with everyone else on the flight.

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale at about 5:15 or so. We honestly thought HAL was gonna hold the ship ... especially if the airplane captain got on the intercom after we were finally on our way to tell us that he had been in radio contact with HAL and that they were gonna have a rep at the gate to meet our flight. Of course, we all assumed that since there were six of us, two part of a large group attending a writer's conference onboard, that HAL was gonna work with us. Well, yes ... there was a HAL rep at the gate ... but he was only there to tell all of us that the ship had sailed on time and we had missed it.

I'm sure things would have been different if we had all booked HAL air ... or if at least some of us did.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Admiral

Did they give you the option of catching her later in the cruise? Some of us don't have enough time for the long Rotterdam cruises and would actually like to catch the ship in mid cruise (paying full fare, of course). You can only have your kiddo ditch school so many days...8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
...the ship had sailed on time and we had missed it...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Did they give you the option of catching her later in the cruise?
Yeah, but we had to travel to Costa Rica and catch the ship three days into its cruise. And, since we booked air on our own to the port, we were also on our own for the expenses of getting to Costa Rica. Insurance paid some of it, but certainly not all. The expenses, at least for me, ran over a grand.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Rita,
How horrible to have a HAL rep waiting and then find the ship had sailed. When we had that experience, we thought we'd be able to catch the ship in Key West, but found it would have been Cozumel since no one can board in Key West. That would have been three days into a seven day cruise. We felt very fortunate.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

When I miss my cruise , there was a carnival person waiting for me at the
airport gate, I also thought that they were waiting for me,she was there to tell me that the ship had sail and that it was up to me to get to the next stop 3 days later. I just went to my airline desk and took the first plane back home. Igot good and drunk on the way home.. The girl at air canada desk felt sorry for me and gave me first class ticket back at no extra cost.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Rita,
How horrible to have a HAL rep waiting and then find the ship had sailed. When we had that experience, we thought we'd be able to catch the ship in Key West, but found it would have been Cozumel since no one can board in Key West. That would have been three days into a seven day cruise. We felt very fortunate.
I wonder why no one can board in Key West? I've heard that before, but thought it was wrong. Is there a reason for that?

Yeah, kinda sucks to miss about half the cruise. In my case, it was a ten-day cruise that I missed the first three days of. But still ... that was a lot ... especially since this was a writer's retreat at sea and those first two days were sea days. I missed a lot of sessions since most were held on sea days, and also was way behind in the work I had to do to catch up. So, even once I boarded, I wound up spending extra time in my cabin over the next week preparing all the assignments that I didn't do those first three days.

HAL was pretty nice about it once I got onboard, though. Since I missed our group's cocktail party, they sent me an invitation to the Captain's VIP party to make up for that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Passenger

I have no idea why no one can board in Key West. I wouldn't have known if we hadn't been in that situation, but now I can't remember who told us. Someone must know why.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I have no idea why no one can board in Key West. I wouldn't have known if we hadn't been in that situation, but now I can't remember who told us. Someone must know why.
Yeah, I cut it close on one Celebrity cruise that had Key West as it's first port of call ... on the second day of the cruise. I remember telling a friend ... "no biggie, if I miss the ship, I'll just head down to Key West and pick it up there." This friend then "busted my bubble" by telling me that people couldn't board the ship in Key West. Something having to do with it being a domestic port.

Makes no sense to me, though. If you missed the ship in a domestic port, why couldn't you pick it up at the next one? Of course, you'd have to be onboard when it docked at a foreign port, but as long as you were, I don't understand why boarding in Key West would be a Jones Act violation?

Anyone else have any insight into this?

Blue skies ...

--rita