Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Default Hydrotherapy Pool/Spa

I have to admit I have had no experience with spa offerings, so I'm relying on those experts out there. Is the hydrotherapy pool worth thinking about or is it essentially a hot tub? Is it for soaking, swimming, or both? Is there an hourly, daily, or whole cruise fee for using it? Does anyone know what the fee would be? What other spa services should I consider? Are the products pushed heavily if you have a massage? Would hate to leave more tense than when I arrived.
Toley
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

A lot of people like having a massage and do use the Spa for other services, but the one and only time I had a massage on the ship, I left more stressed out than when I arrived. All the girl did was try and sell me Steiner's products. I've also had a pedicure, manicure and hairdo and vowed I'd never go back again. They did a poor job and the cost far exceeded what I pay at home. So now I have all these services done just before I leave home to board the ship.

I have never used the hydrotherapy pool but have seen it and it's not for swimming - it's just for relaxing! Can't tell you how much it costs, but I believe you can buy a package for the length of the cruise, otherwise it would be a daily fee.
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hydrotherapy Pool/Spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toley
I have to admit I have had no experience with spa offerings, so I'm relying on those experts out there. Is the hydrotherapy pool worth thinking about or is it essentially a hot tub? Is it for soaking, swimming, or both? Is there an hourly, daily, or whole cruise fee for using it? Does anyone know what the fee would be? What other spa services should I consider? Are the products pushed heavily if you have a massage? Would hate to leave more tense than when I arrived.
Toley
I had a cabinmate on my last cruise who purchased the hydrotherapy package for the duration of the cruise. It was a 13-day cruise, and I think she paid about $200 for it. It's a room with some heated loungers (very relaxing) as well as a pool with soothing jets. Not the same as a jacuzzi, but similar. There are also showers in there, with scented misters ... not the same showers you get in the gym.

The hydrotherapy package does not come with any spa services. It just allows you access to the room. Since few people are in there ... as opposed to everyone you would find out on the main or aft decks ... it is a relaxing environment free of crowds. Also, I do not believe children are ever permitted in there. So, on a cruise with a lot of kids ... if you wanted to get away from their screaming around the pool ... the hydrotherapy package would be just the ticket.

I should also say that the heated loungers in this room also face out onto a bank of windows offering you a wonderful seaview. So, it's a great place to hang out while going through the Panama Canal or just sailing along at sea.

As for spa services, those can be booked separately. Others will have to tell you which ones are worth the money since i have no expertise in this area. I do understand, however, that Steiner has really toned it down as far as "pushing" their products. Maybe because of all the complaints, such a directive was issued from their home office?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Toley
The hydrotherapy pool is a BIG hot tub and very relaxing. It is for soaking. You can buy a daily pass or a week pass. You can purchase a pass just for the hydropool, or just for the thermal suite, or you can combine the two. Daily fees run something like $20 for either the pool or the thermal suite, to $40 for both, or $150 for a week's pass for both. (Prices may be higher on your cruise, they keep going up.) Couples packages are available.

I would not consider any other spa services, in my opinion. The girls in the spa work for Steiner, and they depend on tips and commissions for the products they sell. That is their income, so yes, they are pushy. Steiner doesn't pay them salaries.
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiklesis
The hydrotherapy pool is a BIG hot tub and very relaxing. It is for soaking. You can buy a daily pass or a week pass. You can purchase a pass just for the hydropool, or just for the thermal suite, or you can combine the two. Daily fees run something like $20 for either the pool or the thermal suite, to $40 for both, or $150 for a week's pass for both. (Prices may be higher on your cruise, they keep going up.) Couples packages are available.
I'm confused then. Isn't the hydropool in the thermal suite? If so, how could you buy a pass for just one and not the other? On my cruise, I don't think my cabinmate was given a choice. She paid a flat rate for the use of both ... for the entire 13 days of the cruise. I know she got a slight price break because two of her massage packages included use of the hydropool and thermal suite, so they knocked two days off of the cost of her pass.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
First Mate

on a med. cruise aboard the new noordam i took advantage of the hydro pool, and it did wonders for my aching back. i paid on a daily basis -- fifteen dollars per day. there weren't many folks at the hydro pool; it was quiet and very relaxing. when i paid i received a pass card which opened the door to the pool; i don't think it worked for access to other components of the spa.
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

I had a spinal fusion back operation in Sept 04..went of the Zuiderdam in Nov 04..with the approval of my back doctor, my physical therapist gave me a 2 page routine to do in the hydro therapy pool twice a day... I wrote a letter to HAL and they contacted my doctor. HAL treated me super, gave me a special deal with the hydro therapy pool and with several spa treatments..they had just installed their new comfort beds and we had a balcony....short version of story, I walked on the ship with a back brace and cane, by the end of the week I was walking without either...the hydro therapy pool has seaweed in it and it great for people with back problems and I was able to shorten my physical therapy by 2 months when I return home...also slept like a baby for the first time in two years

by design HAL limits the number of 7 day passes and daily passes for the hydro therapy pool to prevent crowding..well worth the money..the spa treatments also took alot of the toxins out of my body due to all the drugs I was on after the operation
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
by design HAL limits the number of 7 day passes and daily passes for the hydro therapy pool to prevent crowding..well worth the money..the spa treatments also took alot of the toxins out of my body due to all the drugs I was on after the operation
HAL also told my cabinmate that people with seven-day passes got priority. They only allow so many people in there at a time, and once that capacity is reached, no one else gets in.

I have a feeling, though, that a lot of people take those daily or weekly passes and then don't make much use of them. I think there is plenty of available capacity for anyone who buys a pass ... whether daily or weekly.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

I loved the hydrapool. I got a ten day pass on the Noordam for $85!!! They have doubled the fee since the Noordam inaugural. $20 per day or $100 for a 7 day pass. Rediculous. I have opted for the freebies by the pool when everyone else is eating at night. Very private and comfy. The increase of fee is not worth the money.
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLP
I loved the hydrapool. I got a ten day pass on the Noordam for $85!!! They have doubled the fee since the Noordam inaugural. $20 per day or $100 for a 7 day pass. Rediculous. I have opted for the freebies by the pool when everyone else is eating at night. Very private and comfy. The increase of fee is not worth the money.
I think $20 a day is about what my cabin mate paid ... and I agree, it's not worth it. She honestly didn't get her $20 a day worth based on the amount of time she actually spent in there. She did say, though, that the showers were heavenly with the scented mist and she took most of her showers there once she had the pass.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the information on the hydrotherapy pool. It sounds relaxing. Maybe I'll try it a couple of times, but at $200 or more for the cruise I'm not sure I'd get my $ worth. Do they ever offer a deal on this after you've been cruising for a few days?
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Passenger

Oh, as far as the spa treatments go, I think I'll pass. If there is anything I hate, it is being pressured into anything when I'm on vacation! There is enough pressure and stress in this world without enduring it when I'm supposed to be relaxing.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for all the information on the hydrotherapy pool. It sounds relaxing. Maybe I'll try it a couple of times, but at $200 or more for the cruise I'm not sure I'd get my $ worth. Do they ever offer a deal on this after you've been cruising for a few days?
This is why I don't understand why people get upset when there are children at the aft pool ... especially if they are reasonably well-behaved. If children bothered me that much, and I wanted to get away from them, I'd just buy the hydrotherapy pool pass for the cruise, and spend my time there. From what I understand, children are strictly forbidden in that area ... and even if they were allowed, I can't imagine mom and dad popping $20 a day for Junior to use that facility. Thus, it is guaranteed to be an adults only sanctuary.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are the spa services(massages especially) available when the ship is in port?

Constellation
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Passenger

I think the spa services are available in port. Seems that they usually offer some deals since so many passengers are off the ship at that time.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I think the spa services are available in port. Seems that they usually offer some deals since so many passengers are off the ship at that time.
If you go to the spa to get prices for various treatments, and then ask them about specials, they will claim not to generally give specials at any time. However, that's a crock because I've always seen notices in the Daily Program about different deals offered as "port day specials." Frankly, if I were interested in spa treatments, I would wait until the day before any given port, and then go to the spa in search of pricing. Betcha the prices you'll get will be considerably cheaper than what is normally quoted.

With so many people off the ship when it is in port, that spa is empty. They'll do most anything to bring the customers in ... including offering special deals and even some negotiating.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Beginner

This is my first post on this board, but I couldn't resist commenting on one of our favorite spots on the Vista class ships. Signing up for the hydrotherapy pool is our first stop after boarding, although we do not ever purchase any of the other spa services. We get a cruise-long rate which is also reduced for couples. Actually there are 4 of us who usually travel together and 3 of the 4 love the daily use of this pool. The 4th is afraid that her hair might get wet! It is soothing and peaceful after a day of sightseeing and the showers are wonderful as has been mentioned. I first sought out this pool when I had been in physical therapy for an injured shoulder prior to the cruise. But from then on, it became a necessary part of every cruise experience. I think you would really love it too.
PS- The hydrotherapy setup on the R and S class ships are more of a large hot tub in size, rather than a pool, and they are not housed in as aestheticly appealing room, so I am not quite as enthusiastic about them.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks, auntieEm. A week from Sunday I'll be checking out that pool!
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Have a wonderful cruise Toley. We'll be anxious to hear when you get back what you think of the hydrotherapy pool.