Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default I Need a Cruise! :(

I live in Philly and outside right now it looks like a frozen tundra.

We had a bad snow and ice storm yesterday and today people are not shoveling snow ... they are chopping ice.

I hate this. It's one reason why a cruise to Alaska doesn't appeal to me.

I need a cruise right now ... really bad. And ... I still have two weeks to wait.

Someone cheer me up ...

Blue skies ... smooth blue seas ...

--rita
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I Need a Cruise! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos

We had a bad snow and ice storm yesterday and today people are not shoveling snow ... they are chopping ice.

I need a cruise right now ... really bad. And ... I still have two weeks to wait.

Someone cheer me up ...

--rita
Just go to bed and sleep for a couple of weeks or maybe 10 days, you need time to get ready.
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Just go to bed and sleep for a couple of weeks or maybe 10 days, you need time to get ready.
Somehow I think my boss would probably have a problem with that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Somehow I think my boss would probably have a problem with that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
What a picky boss, just go into business for yourself..
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
What a picky boss, just go into business for yourself..
What a wonderful idea!

Now I just need to figure out what I can do that will make enough money to pay for the cruise addiction.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Admiral

You could always become a TA and travel from ship to ship checking out the cruises for your clients.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
You could always become a TA and travel from ship to ship checking out the cruises for your clients.
Great idea, but only one problem. I'm really not much of a salesperson. Never was. I think you have to have a certain type of personality to succeed in a field like that and I just don't have it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Oh I don`t know about that ,some of the TAs I have had in the past
I don`t think they had too much training. The one I have now is a joy to talk to. she know her job, she has been on cruises.Some of them in the past i don`t think they even saw a cruise ship.
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I don`t think they had too much training. The one I have now is a joy to talk to. she know her job, she has been on cruises.Some of them in the past i don`t think they even saw a cruise ship.
I don't doubt it. Especially some of the TA's in big agencies ... if they are down the totum pole, they probably never have been on a cruise ship. Those "freebie" trips go to the more senior people in the office when they come up and the new agent just has to wait her turn for the goodies.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Admiral

Air conditioning season has stated in Texas - does that cheer you up?

Quote:

Someone cheer me up ...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
... no.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Does the fact that you're now in your 10-day countdown cheer you up any?

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I hate to say this, but you are right, more and more TAs are not going to school, are not seasons travelers and have become order takers, but you have a good one and that's what counts. Now, for Rita, wouldn't it be great if TAs could do nothing but cruise and come back and sell the product. Too bad we have lots of other things we have to do in order to make the money to cruise and come back to sell the product. I don't think many of us are in the business because it is glamorous or because we expect to get rich. We love making people happy, it's is a happy job....
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
... no.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Look at it this way, his air conditioning bill will be almost as big as the national debt by June, the bugs will be flying all over and he will wish he could get the heck out of there.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Yep, nasty country down here - in fact our flying cockroaches, called Palmetto bugs, are bigger than some poodles. SCUBA diving here is awful, with sharks being found in lakes, like Medina, and alligators in others where the snakes haven't killed them off. The situation is so bad we have taken to diving in a nuclear missile silo near Abilene called Valhalla for our safety. At least the bison grazing near the silo scare off the rattlesnakes.

Living in PA is paradise compared to TX! 8)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... no.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Look at it this way, his air conditioning bill will be almost as big as the national debt by June, the bugs will be flying all over and he will wish he could get the heck out of there.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Does the fact that you're now in your 10-day countdown cheer you up any?
Oh, yes! Definitely yes.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Can't be worse than my heating bills, though.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

Blue skies ...

--rita
Or your humidity in mid summer: still nothing like Texas. We lived there for 13 years, summer starts in mid April and continues til Oct; no kidding. The worst part, we may be moving back to Texas of So OK in the next year or so. Guess I better stop *****ing.....
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Welcome back to Texas.

Allow me introduce you to Alice, Texas, where one of my auditees reported finding alligators in her pool one night and a large Javelena (a nasty and dangerous wild boar) in her garage. Pass the word, the fire ants and killer bees haven't cleared Texas of hazardous wildlife, just driven them to seek shelter in your residence.

Got a story about a transplant Californian here in San Antonio finding a baby rattlesnake in a boot in her garage. Good thing she broke its back when she put on the boot. Do avoid buying in a new Texas subdivision until the scorpions die down - my brother used to find them in his kitchen pots and pans all the time. Being rather small, sometimes you don't see them until they are up close and personal. My old boss actually was stung pulling his newspaper out of its plastic wrapper, but he was OK after a few weeks and lived to tell the tale. The fireants actually got all the way up into the kids' rooms on the second floor in my brother's house, which motivated his wife to decree they move back to Colorado after loosing money speculating in real estate here.

Anyone want some Texas real estate brochures? I'll send your brochure before I head to Toyahvale to go diving this weekend in a snapping turtle infested spring. Using a rental car this trip since baseball-sized hail is in the forecast for the area. That's good news as it will help keep the deer off the road tonight. They can really make a mess of a car - had a coworker find that out right near the airport.

I do believe the grass has suddenly turned greener in PA and NM. 8)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Blue skies ...

--rita
Or your humidity in mid summer: still nothing like Texas. We lived there for 13 years, summer starts in mid April and continues til Oct; no kidding. The worst part, we may be moving back to Texas of So OK in the next year or so. Guess I better stop *****ing.....
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Passenger

Yikes! I'd heard how wonderful the San Antonio area was. Guess I'll have to put up with snow, the cold, humidity, and disease-carrying horrid mosquitos!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Welcome back to Texas.

Allow me introduce you to Alice, Texas, where one of my auditees reported finding alligators in her pool one night and a large Javelena (a nasty and dangerous wild boar) in her garage. Pass the word, the fire ants and killer bees haven't cleared Texas of hazardous wildlife, just driven them to seek shelter in your residence.

Got a story about a transplant Californian here in San Antonio finding a baby rattlesnake in a boot in her garage. Good thing she broke its back when she put on the boot. Do avoid buying in a new Texas subdivision until the scorpions die down - my brother used to find them in his kitchen pots and pans all the time. Being rather small, sometimes you don't see them until they are up close and personal. My old boss actually was stung pulling his newspaper out of its plastic wrapper, but he was OK after a few weeks and lived to tell the tale. The fireants actually got all the way up into the kids' rooms on the second floor in my brother's house, which motivated his wife to decree they move back to Colorado after loosing money speculating in real estate here.

Anyone want some Texas real estate brochures? I'll send your brochure before I head to Toyahvale to go diving this weekend in a snapping turtle infested spring. Using a rental car this trip since baseball-sized hail is in the forecast for the area. That's good news as it will help keep the deer off the road tonight. They can really make a mess of a car - had a coworker find that out right near the airport.

I do believe the grass has suddenly turned greener in PA and NM. 8)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Blue skies ...

--rita
Divemaster, thanks for a good laugh....NMNita
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Fortunately no mosquito problem here - think the cicada killers got them. Real treat to see a wasp the size of a bird dig burrows the size of gopher holes in your lawn. This really is the better part of Texas, at least there are no alligators crawling under your parked car, as when I audit down in Bay City, nor have I seen any more coral snakes since the one a neighbor killed with his lawn mower. Darn fool picked up the pieces and got bit (Texas snakes are a hardy bunch!). It was a coral snake that killed a neighbor's horse a few years back, but lucky for me I never had one in my backyard, just a 4 foot rat snake with a bad attitude swimming in my pool.

And for any of you real estate speculators, ever had a desire to see termites able to build mud tubes 6 feet up the side of a fence in one week's time? San Antonio is indeed wonderful - or at least full of wonders. Like those cute jumping spiders my kiddo used to play with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toley
Yikes! I'd heard how wonderful the San Antonio area was. Guess I'll have to put up with snow, the cold, humidity, and disease-carrying horrid mosquitos!
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
And for any of you real estate speculators, ever had a desire to see termites able to build mud tubes 6 feet up the side of a fence in one week's time? San Antonio is indeed wonderful - or at least full of wonders. Like those cute jumping spiders my kiddo used to play with...
I too will stick with my ice and snow. The problem I have with Texas is that it is so flat ... not many hills, valleys ... no seasons to speak of. Of course, I've only been there once ... to the Dallas area for a Wizefest convention ... but I didn't much care for it. And, after reading your post, ... think I'll stay up north.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Divemaster. You've definitely improved my mood regarding the cold, etc. in the north. Hmmmm, things are looking greener on this side of the fence.
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Default Any of Y'all Still Want to Move to Texas?

In my humble effort to get folks to appreciate the merits of not following the herd and moving to Texas like the California lemmings, I have another story to relate about the gal who sits in the cube across form me at work. Seems her dog, Elvis, barely survived a nasty rattlesnake bite this year. No, she did not let the pet run wild in the woods, the poor dog was minding his business in a fenced suburban backyard. If you still want to move to Texas I can show you how to build an electric snake fence, like the ones we put around our electrical substation perimeters. Works well on most snakes, but then our company employee park has signs warning visitors about venomous snakes being in the trees.

Alaska may have Iditarod, but only Texas has the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup and Miss Snake Charmer Pageant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toley
Thanks, Divemaster. You've definitely improved my mood regarding the cold, etc. in the north. Hmmmm, things are looking greener on this side of the fence.
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Passenger

There's a family in town that has had their house for sale for some time because they are "hot" to move to Texas! Wonder if they know what awaits them? Oh well, I won't spoil their fun!
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

Someone cheer me up ...
Well, now you're down to one week to wait. You should start cheering up soon. (The good thing about it - I only have one week to wait for my cruise as well. )

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Well, now you're down to one week to wait. You should start cheering up soon. (The good thing about it - I only have one week to wait for my cruise as well. )
Aren't we both blessed?

Yep, I'm down to a week. In fact, I'm getting so excited that I am down to counting "shifts" to work before I sail. Four more and I'm done!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Admiral

rita, where are you going. and how long. are you going solo
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
rita, where are you going. and how long. are you going solo
I'm doing a TransAtlantic on the Veendam ... "Passage to Venice." Leaves on April 1 out of Tampa. We arrive in Venice on the 19th and stay there overnight. Then on the 20th, later in the afternoon, we fly to London ... Heathrow ... and stay overnight at an airport Marriott. Then on the 21st, we transfer to Southampton to "cross the pond" on the QE2. I arrive back in New York on the 27th.

Not going solo on this particular cruise. Traveling with VeniceCruiser who also posts to this board. I do travel solo on many cruises, however, but the main reason I do that is because I'm a smoker and it is difficult to find cabinmates who are fellow smokers. I lucked out with this pair of cruises, though ... and even my next cruise in January 2008 on the Ryndam. But generally, yes, I do travel solo.

Blue skies ...

--rita