Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Neptune Lounge Access

My wife and I are booked on the Ryndam for a December Mexican Riviera cruise. We have booked an A Verandah Suite on the Navigation Deck. Is the Neptune Lounge open only to those occupying the Deluxe Veranda or Penthouse Verandah Suites or can anyone booked on the Navigation deck use the Neptune Lounge and its services?
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Admiral

It appears that you are not allowed to use it.

"Exclusively created for guests cruising in a Deluxe Veranda Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, television, library, sofas and chairs and refreshments. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/neptunelounge

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I too read the HAL web site. But, has anyone actually sailed on the Ryndam and have first hand information from one's own experience?
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Admiral

If you read it, why the question?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Deluxe Verandah Outside cabins do not have access to the Neptune Lounge.

Last year we were in an SS and we did not have access. Only SA,SB & SC have access and of course the Penthouse.

It is amazing how the concierge knows who should be in the Lounge even though she is meeting you for the first time. I don't know how they do that. Your friends in the VA will have a different coloured sign&sail card (cabin door key also) than you, so they will not have priority boarding, disembarking or priority on the tenders.

Sorry! Enjoy the Suites - they are wonderful

Old March 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Passenger

The passengers in the penthouse and deluxe veranda suites are paying much more than us slobs in the A, AA, B, or BB veranda categories, sometimes almost double the price. I wouldn't dare stick my nose in the Neptune Lounge; I bet they'd shoo me out!
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
If you read it, why the question?
Maybe because he's looking for clarification?

That's what these boards are for ... to ask questions.

For what it's worth ... it's so much easier on the "R" class ships where there are only Deluxe Veranda Suites on the Navigation Deck ... along with a few inside cabins ... and all of the suites on that level are entitled to Neptune Lounge access. The inside cabins sometimes even get it ... because sometimes suite passengers will also book an inside cabin for the kids. Generally then the kids will be allowed to use the lounge too since they are traveling with their parents who are staying in a qualifying suite.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It is amazing how the concierge knows who should be in the Lounge even though she is meeting you for the first time. I don't know how they do that. Your friends in the VA will have a different coloured sign&sail card (cabin door key also) than you, so they will not have priority boarding, disembarking or priority on the tenders.
[/color]
I don't know how true this is, but here is what I heard.

The concierge in the Neptune Lounge somehow has access to the system where pre-boarding photos are taken. When a suite passenger checks in at that special desk, the concierge can access the boarding photos and in that way can get a handle on who the passengers are that she will be taking care of that week. Also, she makes it a point to introduce herself to everyone who comes into the lounge, and making sure they are staying in a qualifying suite. She will actually go and knock at the suite doors of the people she didn't meet in order to make sure she makes their acquaintance early on in the cruise.

After that first day or so, it is very easy for that concierge to immediately tell if someone is in that lounge who shouldn't be there, and thus she can quickly and politely send them on their way.

The Neptune Lounge is not a large room. I've been in it just to take a "peek," and believe me the concierge took quick notice that I was there. She can only handle so many passengers and that number is based on the number of suites who get those privileges. She's not gonna increase her workload by having people in there who don't belong ... and frankly, I don't blame her.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

I did not say that. That was a quote from DeeDee who posted on this subject a while back.

The OP wanted "first hand" knowledge and was not interested in what HAL says. That is why I posted DeeDee's post.

OK?

Old March 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I did not say that. That was a quote from DeeDee who posted on this subject a while back.

The OP wanted "first hand" knowledge and was not interested in what HAL says. That is why I posted DeeDee's post.

OK?
Thanks for the clarification. My bad. I fouled up when quoting from the original post. I apologize.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Passenger

We usually sail in the cheap seats and only once in a Delux Suite. We could not determine a single reason to visit the Neptune Lounge and so we did not. Anything and everything one could want can be had in cabin and visiting the lounge for the sake of a chance meeting others sailing in the same cat. seems pretentious to me.

That's just me and I am not knocking those that enjoy the exclusive nature of the lounge.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammybee
We usually sail in the cheap seats and only once in a Delux Suite. We could not determine a single reason to visit the Neptune Lounge and so we did not. Anything and everything one could want can be had in cabin and visiting the lounge for the sake of a chance meeting others sailing in the same cat. seems pretentious to me.

That's just me and I am not knocking those that enjoy the exclusive nature of the lounge.
I think what people really enjoy that lounge for is the concierge service ... more than just the use of the lounge. And, most definitely, that concierge service would be a convenience ... no waiting in line to book shore excursions, no playing telephone tag to get a Pinnacle reservation, no having to go to the library to get a DVD, no waiting at the front desk to get a billing issue resolved. Most definitely the concierge is a big plus. But as to the lounge itself, I too don't see it as that big a deal. I hear the coffee and expresso is to die for, and they do have some snacks and such there ... but that's about it.

I too book the cheap seats. I could probably afford a luxury suite on some shorter cruises, but I just can't see the sense of spending the extra money. Personally, I'd rather go in a standard cabin on a much longer cruise. But that's just me.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Admiral

I agree ,W hy spend more on a short cruise when you can use it for a longer cruise or cruise more often. of course if I had the money, I would
stay in a suite also. It is very expensive if you are solo and you
want a suite, they charge you double amount. While if it an outside stateroom they charge you 130%..
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
It is very expensive if you are solo and you
want a suite, they charge you double amount. While if it an outside stateroom they charge you 130%..
That's an excellent point as well. Us solo travelers, unless we are very well-to-do really can't afford the luxury of staying in one of the higher end suites. HAL doesn't give us any break whatsoever on them. In short, if you are really set on enjoying a luxury suite, you might as well treat a friend or relative to come on the cruise with you. After all, you're paying for them anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:

I think what people really enjoy that lounge for is the concierge service ... more than just the use of the lounge. And, most definitely, that concierge service would be a convenience ... no waiting in line to book shore excursions, no playing telephone tag to get a Pinnacle reservation, no having to go to the library to get a DVD, no waiting at the front desk to get a billing issue resolved. Most definitely the concierge is a big plus. But as to the lounge itself, I too don't see it as that big a deal. I hear the coffee and expresso is to die for, and they do have some snacks and such there ... but that's about it.

I too book the cheap seats. I could probably afford a luxury suite on some shorter cruises, but I just can't see the sense of spending the extra money. Personally, I'd rather go in a standard cabin on a much longer cruise. But that's just me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, I agree. The concierge availability without the intrusion of a butler, which other lines are doing, works much better.

That said, we haven't sailed HAL for 2 years and don't remember if our S Suite on the Maasdam includes a welcome bottle of champagne.

We have 2 S Suites booked now and want to be sure to have bubbly when we sail away.

Will it be there or do we bring it with us?
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spender Nui
We have 2 S Suites booked now and want to be sure to have bubbly when we sail away.

Will it be there or do we bring it with us?
Personally, to ensure it is there, I would just call Ship's Services and order it. You will probably wind up getting a couple of bottles of wine ... either from your travel agent, or from HAL, but if there is a specific type of champagn you'd prefer, I find it best to just order it and specify that you want it in the stateroom at embarkation.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Thats what I did there on my last cruise. we order A bottle of champagne
and drink when sailing away on the balcony. I won't do that again , I like it better with a crowd of people on deck. dancing and cheering.
Thats what I call part of cruising. The send off!!
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Captain

All guests in Category "S" and "PS" receive a Welcome Aboard bottle of champagne upon embarkation compliments of the Captain and Hotel Manager. We've enjoyed many cruises in an "S" and we have never failed to receive it. We always appreciate the gesture.

The coffee machine in the Neptune Lounge is wonderful; the concierge service very helpful and DH goes more than once a day to check the snacks offered. Not everyone things the difference in the price worth it. It's an individual choice. We think it worth it and have 6 future cruises booked in an "S" that we eagerly look forward to. Just our personal preference.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
All guests in Category "S" and "PS" receive a Welcome Aboard bottle of champagne upon embarkation compliments of the Captain and Hotel Manager. We've enjoyed many cruises in an "S" and we have never failed to receive it. We always appreciate the gesture.
That is a very nice perk.

I've usually had travel agents provide a bottle or two of wine for the stateroom, but sadly it never seems to be there at embarkation ... but rather appears a couple of days later. I generally wind up enjoying sailaway on the Lido deck, with a drink from the Lido Bar.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Passenger

From my sole experience, I saw there was always a wait for attention in the NL. Of course, there are better diversions to make the wait pleasant.

For me, it's just as easy to pop my shore excursion order into the box, when I am in the mood, than it would have been to wait for attention in the NL.

I do not need DVDs while onboard cause this is something I can do at home. Granted, I have not sailed for more than 14 days and if it was a longer sail, I might feel very different about alternatives to in cabin entertainment.

Again, I am not knocking those who enjoy this feature. It just does not do much for me. Suites are a bargain on a per square foot basis compared to other cabins which is how I rationalized the expense.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Passenger

Just came back from Oosterdam and we stayed in a Deluxe Ver Suite.
For my mind the extra service is worth every dime!!
On one of my formal nights I needed a dress steamed to get out the wrinkles
and one of the girls from the Neptune Lounge was at my door to pick it up
then it was returned within 15 mins. (thats service).
I can say that every single day we used the Neptune for snacks to eat there
or take back to the room. I got a cash advance and it was handled
there no waiting in line at the front office.
A huge benefit for us were being first off on shore excursion days.
I highly recommend the Deluxe Ver Suites if possible.
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
Now if I can just manage that little upgrade from SS to SC I'll be all set!!!
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Beginner

We were on a 14 day cruise on the Veendam. We had a deluxe suite and are not snobs. I gave us a place to get snacks, coffee, juice, reservations and just talk to fellow passengers. We were on the cruise to relax and they made sure that if I missed lunch or dinner I got it. I think I slept the first 2 days . The poor room stewart learned tat if I was sleeping on the veranda to just clean the room. My husband loved the salmon salad they served.When going on a long needed vacation it is nice to be catered to. The people on our cruise in the suites were just hard working professionals who put in long hours and did not want to jave to leave thir rooms if they did not wish to. [/b]
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
From my sole experience, I saw there was always a wait for attention in the NL. Of course, there are better diversions to make the wait pleasant.

For me, it's just as easy to pop my shore excursion order into the box, when I am in the mood, than it would have been to wait for attention in the NL.

I do not need DVDs while onboard cause this is something I can do at home. Granted, I have not sailed for more than 14 days and if it was a longer sail, I might feel very different about alternatives to in cabin entertainment.

Again, I am not knocking those who enjoy this feature. It just does not do much for me. Suites are a bargain on a per square foot basis compared to other cabins which is how I rationalized the expense.
I think it would depend on the cruise. If you were on a cruise with a lot of sea days, maybe the Neptune Lounge would be a feature you would truly enjoy. But on a shorter, port-intensive cruise, I can well understand people who would find little need for such an ammenity.

As I've always said, to each his own. Personally, I generally don't place a high value on the cabin accommodations themselves. As long as I have enough room to move around, enough closet space to hang up my clothes, and a clean functional bathroom, I'm happy. My goal is to get more cruise for my money ... more days, more ports. I'd rather pay more for that kind of cruise, in lesser accommodations, than get a shorter cruise in a luxury suite. But, of course, there are many who would differ with that opinion.

Isn't it wonderful then that we have so many options?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
Now if I can just manage that little upgrade from SS to SC I'll be all set!!!
WOW!! I actually got an offer to go from SS to SA for $149.00 per person!! I took it! Now I get to experience all the fabulous perks and get to surprise Mom with a BIG upgrade when we get onboard!
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Now if I can just manage that little upgrade from SS to SC I'll be all set!!! [/quote]

WOW!! I actually got an offer to go from SS to SA for $149.00 per person!! I took it! Now I get to experience all the fabulous perks and get to surprise Mom with a BIG upgrade when we get onboard! [/quote]

WOW is right! CONGRATULATIONS, SakeDad. What a wonderful surprise for your Mom. The only problem is that Mom will never want to go back to a regular cabin, nor will you.

Have a great cruise.