Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Veendam Disembarkation Disaster

We just got to our hotel after the most trying disembarkation we have ever had.

the Veendam was supposed to dock in Tampa at 7:30 AM and we did not dock until 9am due to heavy traffic leaving the port of Tampa. We could not disembard until 11:30am due to the idiots who would not get their butts to immigration when paged to do so.

Many, many people missed flights due to the inconsiderate actions of a few persons. HAL really should find some way to punish those who think the rules don't apply to them.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Veendam Disembarkation Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
We just got to our hotel after the most trying disembarkation we have ever had.
I didn't get onboard until after 2:00 p.m. Once there, I collapsed into tears because of missing the opportunity of spending the time I wanted to spend with you and Virgil before sailaway on Sunday.

I too have never experienced an embarkation like that. The terminal was a mob scene and it was only as some people started being cleared to get on the ship that seats opened up in the terminal. I was so hot at one point ... standing in the line waiting to check in ... that I honestly thought I was going to pass out. It was only after checking in, when I could finally go and sit down and cool off, that I began feeling better.

I agree ... anyone who does not report to immigration when asked is very, very inconsiderate ... not just to the authorities who need to process them, but to their fellow passengers who want to get off the ship ... and those excited to board and begin their cruises as well.

I really want to thank the both of you for the wonderful gifts awaiting me in the stateroom. Yes, HAL made sure they got to me and I am so appreciative of them. What did I ever do to deserve such good friends as the two of you? I am truly blessed.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I agree that there should be some sort of fine imposed by Homeland Security for anyone who misses the announced immigration reporting window. They tell us in print and via PA system announcements, so there's no excuse, IMO. Start at $250 per person and see what happens.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think that not only should there be a fine they should be made to disembark dead last.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Years ago on the Rotterdam V, most of the crew and passengers, were running around looking for a lady who had not reported to Immigration. When they finally found her, she said "Oh, I'm not getting off, I"m staying on for the next cruise". She was told in no uncertain terms to get her a** down to immigration immediately as she was holding up the rest of the passengers from disembarking.

Maybe if HAL started fining these people they would listen to the announcements or read the letters that are sent to their cabin. Grrrrrrrrr!