Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Familiar Face

Default Just returned from the Oosterdam

We returned 4/7/07 from the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam. FYI, there are NO informal nights, only casual and formal. This means no jacket and ties required for men on these nights after hubby took a sport coat and tie. Formal is still formal. The Captain's Suite luncheon was a buffet for suite passengers in the Crow's Nest on Day 6. It was wonderful. We splurged on the Penthouse and had a fabulous time. We thought the food was better than RCCL. Neptune Lounge is accessed through your cabin door card. . . I'll answer anythng else if you post.
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Glad you enjoyed your cruise; as for the food, yes, we all know the old saying "food is subjective" but I don't think any mass marketed line can come close to matching HALs food. NMNita
Old April 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Passenger

I've read that Informal nights will soon be a thing of the past with Holland America. There will be Formal and Resort Casual. I like that idea.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Last time we cruise on the Oo she was in beautiful condition...we did not see or have one complaint on anything from service to our cabin.

But we have read one or two posts that the Oo had changed and recently has not been in fit condition....

Did you see anything to confirm that?
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just got back from the April 14th cruise and I had wake up call every morning. I was in cabin 8112 and it is directly below the chairs by the aft pool. The first morning, they "threw" the chairs right on my noggin at 5:30 am. What a wonderful way to wake up. The next morning after complaining, they waited until 6:30. Once again not a lovely way to wake up. Finally around the 4th morning they started waiting until around 7. Don't get a cabin in this area if you like to sleep late. One of the pods was only working at half speed and you could tell just looking out the back of the ship which one it was. The ship itself was in great condition and I enjoyed the cruise. The activities staff was wonderful as usual. Next cruise for me......Maasdam October 20 out of Ft Lauderdale. Yippee!
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Last time we cruise on the Oo she was in beautiful condition...we did not see or have one complaint on anything from service to our cabin.

But we have read one or two posts that the Oo had changed and recently has not been in fit condition....

Did you see anything to confirm that?
Unfortunately...yes We sailed the April 7 to Mexico, our first HAL.

In reference to our balcony cabin....the bath mat was black with old mold. Yes, I asked for it to be replaced. However, it should never have been left in the bathroom in the first place.

The cupboard over the sofa was hanging by one hinge. That was fixed in a timely manner, I'm happy to say.

The curtain was torn off the rod between the bed and the sitting area. No way could that be taken care of before sailing so it was never used...for fear the rest of the curtain would come down

The common areas were lovely, however. No excessive wear-and-tear that I could see. Just the normal examples of a cruise ship that sees a lot of traffic.
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Oosterdam is currently in dry dock in Victoria B.C. for her new azipod and other sprucing up. Tomorrow, she's scheduled to head for Vancouver, and on May 2nd, she's heading to Seattle, where she'll begin her Alaska season.
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I think one of the reasons why there is no more informal night is
because of the weigh allowance on the airlines, you can bring less clothes
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
I think one of the reasons why there is no more informal night is
because of the weigh allowance on the airlines, you can bring less clothes
Earl, that is an interesting theory but for some reason I doubt it has anything to do with the dropping of informal. I think it has more to do with popular requests. As we are becoming a more casual world (for better or worse) most people prefer not to dress up any more than they have to and many were not following the policies anyway. As those of us who have been cruising for 25 or more years continue to age thus not cruising as often or at all one of these years the new generations of cruising will enjoy total freedom in dress I do beleive.
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Default On May 2 cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiklesis
Oosterdam is currently in dry dock in Victoria B.C. for her new azipod and other sprucing up. Tomorrow, she's scheduled to head for Vancouver, and on May 2nd, she's heading to Seattle, where she'll begin her Alaska season.
That's right. I'm on this 3 day cruise starting Wednesday afternoon!
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Beginner

Default Oosterdam - leaving in two weeks

You upgraded to Penthouse - wife and I will have to try some day. We have been guaranteed a suite, but not sure if we'll be able to upgrade within the suite class.

We are leaving June 2 out of Seattle - 7 day Alaska inside passage.

I have never been on HAL before, so I had a couple of questions (I've been on Celebrity, Princess, and Oceania).

We don't want to do any formal nights, so I was wondering if items from the dinning room could be delivered via room service. Also, will slacks and a collared shirt be sufficient for the other nights (informal/casual)?

Is the Pinnacle grill worth the $30? I have read that the first night is half off - is that still the case?

Do you know the policy about bringing wine on board? Is it allowed and how much corkage is?

Overall, how did you like the Oosterdam?

I appreciate your time and any information you can provide. Cheers,

Stu
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "nmnita
Earl, that is an interesting theory but for some reason I doubt it has anything to do with the dropping of informal. I think it has more to do with popular requests.
Believe me, it has everything to do with airline weight restrictions. Those limits are gonna get smaller and smaller in the coming years too.

If you look at the new dress codes, formal has pretty much been "dumbed down" to practically what informal used to be. No longer are you required to even wear a dark suit. A jacket and tie is fine for gentlemen. The women's dress code is pretty much one where the previous informal would fit the bill.

It would seem to me that HAL is trying to make it easier for people who have to fly to get to the embarkation port. Not everyone is gonna be willing to pay overweight baggage charges. If it got to the point that they had to do that, they might just consider other alternatives for their vacation dollars. My guess is that HAL is trying to keep things as simple as possible for them.

My next prediction ... within the next year or so ... formal nights will go "optional" ... just like on NCL.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Oosterdam - leaving in two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5IPA
You upgraded to Penthouse - wife and I will have to try some day. We have been guaranteed a suite, but not sure if we'll be able to upgrade within the suite class.

We are leaving June 2 out of Seattle - 7 day Alaska inside passage.

I have never been on HAL before, so I had a couple of questions (I've been on Celebrity, Princess, and Oceania).

We don't want to do any formal nights, so I was wondering if items from the dinning room could be delivered via room service. Also, will slacks and a collared shirt be sufficient for the other nights (informal/casual)?

Is the Pinnacle grill worth the $30? I have read that the first night is half off - is that still the case?

Do you know the policy about bringing wine on board? Is it allowed and how much corkage is?

Overall, how did you like the Oosterdam?

I appreciate your time and any information you can provide. Cheers,

Stu

We had wonderful room service. The Pinnacle grill is worth a visit...one time. The food is excellent, the service is also very very good. It's just that the food and service on HAL is good all around...so why paid extra extra. But the Pinnacle food is very very good! First night out...there is a discount...forgot what it is.

On informal nights, my husband wore slacks and a nice shirt and sports coat.

We loved the Oo....
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
We had wonderful room service. The Pinnacle grill is worth a visit...one time. The food is excellent, the service is also very very good. It's just that the food and service on HAL is good all around...so why paid extra extra. But the Pinnacle food is very very good! First night out...there is a discount...forgot what it is.
Oh, they put that first night discount back in the Pinnacle? I thought they eliminated that price break when they raised the tariff from $20 to $30.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Beginner

We liked the ship fine. It seemed new and in very good shape. I especially liked the flat screen t.v. in the room. I also liked the daily New York Times summary delivered to cabins.

Our boarding documents said no formal nights on our 3 day cruise, but the ship's newsletter said the second night was formal. We had not brought any formal wear and had no problem in dining room (maybe 10% were formal.) I don't know about room service on formal nights. You could probably get by with a tie (or even w/o one) on formal nights.

Do not know about corkage fee. Wine by the glass was good and not too expensive.

We esp liked Crow's Nest viewing area and bar. Not too full, even though ship was essentially sold out.

In general, I do not believe premium restaurants are worth the extra. Did not observe any first night 1/2 off special.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Default thanks for the feedback

thanks for the feedback everyone
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Passenger

How exciting to find your post! We just booked an SC corner aft suite on the Upper Veranda Deck for the Oosterdam 12/8 Mex Riviera trip. Probably the same itinerary you took. We're 1st time HAL cruisers & I have a million questions, but I'm too excited & exhausted now to list them. Spent all morning with husband & HAL going over all details of booking. We are on Main Upper Dining, which I understand is 8 p.m.? We prefer the later dining time. Hopefully, as soon as I get my head together, you will answer some questions for me? Thanks so much...

Lisa
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5IPA

You most certainly can get dinner menu items delivered to your suite by room service. You just have to order them within the dinner time hours. You can also pretty much eat from the same menu as the dining room is having any given night by going to the Lido. The Lido is casual dining and many people choose that as an option on formal nights.

Yes, Pinnacle is $30 per person. Is it worth it? Personally, I say no. But many, many others disagree with me. You have to just try it and form your own opinion on that question.

You suggested dress for casual nights will be fine. You'll find many others around the ship dressed that same way.

Sorry I can't answer any specific questions about the Oosterdam, but I've never sailed her.

Blue skies and enjoy your cruise!

--rita
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Passenger

We are going on same trip 12/8. We're on Main Upper (8 p.m.) dining. Is there cocktail time entertainment for late diners? If so what type & where?

Also, we're interested in some of the snorkeling tours. Did you take one? What's your thought on waiting to book tours til on ship? If the weather is not calm, I don't want to do sailing & snorkeling. Yes, I know, I'm a coward.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfette
We are going on same trip 12/8. We're on Main Upper (8 p.m.) dining. Is there cocktail time entertainment for late diners? If so what type & where?

Also, we're interested in some of the snorkeling tours. Did you take one? What's your thought on waiting to book tours til on ship? If the weather is not calm, I don't want to do sailing & snorkeling. Yes, I know, I'm a coward.
There's music in just about every lounge ... most certainly in the Ocean Bar and the Explorer's Lounge ... before both early and late seating dinner.

I've done snorkeling tours in Hawaii ... Maui in particular ... and usually if the weather is really bad, they will cancel them. However, this doesn't take into consideration your own comfort level. Maybe they don't think the weather is that bad and will run the tour, yet you may feel it's too rough. In a case like that, you could find yourself in the position of either going snorkeling or losing the money you paid for the tour. It certainly is a gamble.

That said, I generally prefer to book my tours in advance on the internet. I find that doing so ensures I get my pick of tours ... especially when a tour is likely to be popular and thus sell out quickly. True, the cruise line can often add capacity to a tour that sells well ... either by ordering another bus or another boat or whatever ... but sometimes that is impossible, especially if there are multiple ships in port that day and demand is heavy. So, I prefer to book in advance and just take my chances as to the weather. If it is really bad, the tour operator will cancel and then everyone will get a full refund. I also prefer to book my tours in advance because then I can pay for them in advance as well. Keeps the onboard bill under control. When you have tours on that account ... tours that you booked on the ship ... the total at the end of the cruise could become downright scarey.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info Rita. It was very comprehensive & just what I was looking for. Really appreciate it.