Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Default Advice for first time Holland cruiser

Hi all. I'm new here and wanted to get some advice/opinions about Holland. I have sailed Carnival and Princess but am currently looking at an 11 day trip in Oct on the Noordam.
The price seems very good to me, and I was wondering how this line may compare to the other cruise lines. I'll be traveling with 2 girlfriends and no children. We are all in our 40's.
We are not real "party animals", but we like to have a good time. I've heard rumors about Hollands clientelle being mostly older, snobbish folks. Is this true?
Also, one of my girlfriends is a heavyset lady. On our last vacation on Pricess, she had to use the end seats in the theatre because she couldn't fit. What is the seating like on the Noordam? Side rails usually spell disaster for her and she looks for seating without sides. I'm trying to find out all I can before hand so she won't be .
Thanks for all your help.
Josey
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Josey,
Of course, you can find "snobs" just about anywhere! Please don't believe that all you will find on HAL is old people using walkers and wheelchairs. What you will find is all ages of people having a wonderful time enjoying a beautiful ship and wonderful crew. Any trip is what each individual makes it. I have seen all shapes and sizes on HAL ships so I think your friend would have no problems. Please consider HAL and let us know what you decide.
Barbara
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
First Mate

Josey, we are fairly young, 58 and 60, and we love HAL. We have sailed w/them 4 times since 2002, and are booked again for April 2008.
Because of some health limitations, we don't do the pool scene or dance, but we have a good time.
We have seen all ages, but few children on HAL, which is fine with us because we go to get away from all the kids !
The food is great, service exceptional, and no one is snobby. The staff are wonderful.
Your friend will be just fine.
Have a good time !

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old April 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Admiral

We cruised HAL in 2001. There were 6 of us, 44 to 51. We had a great time. There were cruisers of all ages, activities for all too. According to the pictures on their website, the theater has bench seats which would be nice for your friend. Go to their website and you can view a virtual tour of many places on the ship including the theater.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/...our.do?ship=no

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I dont think HAL is just for old people. I love it, and I am 16 years old. My little sisters also enjoyed it, and its my parents favorite cruise line (theyre in their 40's). The Noordam is an especially lovely ship, by far my favorite. We sailed on her this past November, and plan on going back this year. The seating in the Vista Lounge is quite spacious, and I think your friend will be comfortable in there for shows and such.

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old April 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Yes you will find an older crowd and very little night life, but as for snobs, we were pleasantly surprised when we cruise them in November. I was concerned about the same thing: everyone was friendly, we never met anyone that was stuck up in any way and only some of the staff seemed that way, only a few. Sophisticated yes, upper echilan, yes, interesting in intellectual stemulation more than some lines, yes, but certainly not snotty. I can't answer your question about the seating in the show rooms as one of our biggest complaints was the lack of seating on the Amsterdam. If you didn't get there 1/2 prior to show time you would lucky to get a seat period. NMnita
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
First Mate

we cruise only HAL and we love it, and don't consider ourselves old. Both the Lido restaurant and the main show lounges offer seating areas that are banquette style, without defined seats or arms, so there shouldn't be a problem.

If you go, just prepare to be spoiled....
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Beginner

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice and input. We are booking on the HAL Noordam leaving out of NYC on Oct. 20, 2007. Anyone care to join me?!
I guess now all I have to do is start buying cruise clothes and dreaming of a warm, sunny beach!!! Ahhhh.
Thanks again.
Kim
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Admiral

K99:

How does Celebrity compare to HAL from a preteen/teen perspective? My kiddo (12) and I have yet to travel on that line, but have cruised many a time on HAL, Royal and Princess. Food? Entertainment? Video Arcade? kid's activities?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina99
I dont think HAL is just for old people. I love it, and I am 16 years old. My little sisters also enjoyed it, and its my parents favorite cruise line (theyre in their 40's). The Noordam is an especially lovely ship, by far my favorite. We sailed on her this past November, and plan on going back this year. The seating in the Vista Lounge is quite spacious, and I think your friend will be comfortable in there for shows and such.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Beginner

Wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread for this or not, so I thought I'd just post it on here.
Someone mentioned earlier that there is very little, if any, nightlife on HAL ships. Is this true? If there are things going on, what are they?
Thanks
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Yes you will find an older crowd and very little night life, but as for snobs, we were pleasantly surprised when we cruise them in November. I was concerned about the same thing: everyone was friendly, we never met anyone that was stuck up in any way and only some of the staff seemed that way, only a few. Sophisticated yes, upper echilan, yes, interesting in intellectual stemulation more than some lines, yes, but certainly not snotty. I can't answer your question about the seating in the show rooms as one of our biggest complaints was the lack of seating on the Amsterdam. If you didn't get there 1/2 prior to show time you would lucky to get a seat period. NMnita
The interesting thing I noted about the show lounges, though, is that it is the early show that is difficult to find seating for. Seems everyone goes to that show. But if you go to the late show, you can always get a seat ... even if you walk in just as the curtain is going up.

As for night life ... I don't know, but for some reason I have a problem understanding why people think nightlife should be going on into the wee hours of the morning. Most cruises have a fair amount of port days. Am I the only one who likes to get to bed at a reasonable hour so as to be fresh for a full day in port? To me, a nightlife that goes on until around midnight is more than adequate. After all, I want to enjoy the activities in port ... and most of those port days start relatively early. If I stay up partying late into the night on the ship, then I'm not gonna be much good the next day, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Admiral

The balcony is another place to try for first show seats if you don't arrive early. 8)

NMnita[/quote]
The interesting thing I noted about the show lounges, though, is that it is the early show that is difficult to find seating for. Seems everyone goes to that show. But if you go to the late show, you can always get a seat ... even if you walk in just as the curtain is going up.
[/quote]
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
The balcony is another place to try for first show seats if you don't arrive early. 8)
Believe me, I've found the balcony to be filled as well for the first show. But second show ... no problems at all ... even getting a choice seat near the front when you walk in with about two minutes to show time.

It's the same with dinner seating. First seating fills up very, very quickly ... while second seating has lots of open space. A former TA told me a long time ago ... whenever you book with HAL always request first seating, even if you are reasonably sure you don't want it. The reason for this is simple. If you ask for second seating and it doesn't work out, you will find it almost impossible to get moved to early. But if early doesn't work out, it is very, very easy to move over to second.

HAL's typical passenger is an earlybird. They want to eat early, see the early show and then get back to their cabin early. Buck that trend and you will find yourself with many choice options for both dinner seating and seats right up front for the show.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Passenger

We are booked on Oosterdam Main Upper Seating 12/8 to Mex. Riviera. What is the time of "the late show?" Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfette
We are booked on Oosterdam Main Upper Seating 12/8 to Mex. Riviera. What is the time of "the late show?" Thanks!
It's around 10:15 pm. You will have plenty of time to get to the show after dinner.

Sometimes the show for the Main seating diners, is held before dinner, so make sure you check your daily program each day.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfette
10:15 p.m. 8:30 is the early show. They are set up to correspond with the dining times.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Passenger

Just back from Maasdam. I've sailed on many cruises and had a nice time on all. Some were better...Maasdam was one of the worst. It caters to the dead....or nearly dead. It lacks a lot. I did get a lot of sleep because there wasn't much to do. I also lost weight because the food isn't very good. I went on the cruise because it was a family vacation. Being with the family was fun. However, I would not book HAL again.
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobrich
Just back from Maasdam. I've sailed on many cruises and had a nice time on all. Some were better...Maasdam was one of the worst. It caters to the dead....or nearly dead. It lacks a lot. I did get a lot of sleep because there wasn't much to do. I also lost weight because the food isn't very good. I went on the cruise because it was a family vacation. Being with the family was fun. However, I would not book HAL again.
Wow, some broad generalizations there! Luckily, your opinion is just that--your opinion. We've cruised on the Maasdam and would sail her again in a heartbeat. We're grateful that there aren't any wet t-shirt or biggest beer belly contests. And, the food was AMAZING, as is usual with HAL. Luckily, there are enough cruise lines out there to satisfy almost everyone.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:07 AM
Admiral

Comparing Carnival and Holland America...I have been on each cruiseline 3 times each. In my experiences, the lines are similar but with some exceptions. If you are the hard partying type who doesn't unwind until midnight, stick to Carnival. At midnight people went to bed on Holland America. HAL attracts a more dignified lot, but are no more snobby. On HAL one isn't as likely to encounter 20 somethings attempting to sing "hot, hot, hot" as they stagger down the hallways. There are more first timers on Carnival, while HAL seems to attract the loyal repeaters. Ages are diverse on both lines, but % breakdown per ages group is different. The waitstaff on HAL was all Indonesian, while Carnival has large number of Eastern European. The service was more polished on HAL, more friendly on Carnival. If one enjoys R-rated comedy, then Carnival is better, if one is offended by such humor, then HAL is preferable.
Both are great vacations! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">