Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Default Bigger HAL ships.

With the Eurodam coming out next year being the largest ship so far in HAL fleet. Do you think that if it a success, will they build bigger
and longer ships, I think they will,Its all about the profit..
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I don't know. It's hard to tell. The Signature Class vessels are only marginally larger than the Vistas. So there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in the feel of the ship.

Now, going to a 4,000-passenger ship would be a whole different ball of wax. Something tells me that is outside of HAL's business model. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Default A whole different ball of wax...

Perhaps, but now that there is the Eurodam, that broke the HAL mold in name and furnishings, why not a huge Mallindam or, to catch up to RCCL, a Wallindam, Golfindam, or Skatendam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
I don't know. It's hard to tell. The Signature Class vessels are only marginally larger than the Vistas. So there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in the feel of the ship.

Now, going to a 4,000-passenger ship would be a whole different ball of wax. Something tells me that is outside of HAL's business model. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Admiral

I think, like with all lines except for the luxury class, HAL ships will continue to increase in size. It is too bad, as so many of us enjoy the smaller, more intimate surroundings but again, like everything else, marketing is geared to the younger generation. They like lots of things to do, big is better etc. Remember, I am generalizing, this isn't always the case. NMnita
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I really hope HAL does not enter into the huge ship market. And, if they do, I hope they dont abandon the smaller ships in favor of the mega ships. I think the size of the ships, decor, cabin size, food, dress code and upscale environment are some of the things that really set HAL apart from the other mass marketed cruise lines. If the jump on the mega-ship bandwagon, they will become just another face in a crowded room. With Carival at the controls, I fear this is the road they will evenrtually go down. Its already started, IMO.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to switch to the luxury lines and just cruise a little less often.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
Well, I really hope HAL does not enter into the huge ship market. And, if they do, I hope they dont abandon the smaller ships in favor of the mega ships. I think the size of the ships, decor, cabin size, food, dress code and upscale environment are some of the things that really set HAL apart from the other mass marketed cruise lines. If the jump on the mega-ship bandwagon, they will become just another face in a crowded room. With Carival at the controls, I fear this is the road they will evenrtually go down. Its already started, IMO.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to switch to the luxury lines and just cruise a little less often.

Tim
I am not sure the Carnival control has too much to do with it. they have owned HAL for quite awhile now, but I do agree with you on what has always separated HAL for other mass marketed lines. I too, hope they do not abandon the smaller ships. There should be a line for everyone and not 20 lines copying each other. NMnita
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Bigger HAL ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
With the Eurodam coming out next year being the largest ship so far in HAL fleet. Do you think that if it a success, will they build bigger
and longer ships, I think they will,Its all about the profit..
The story I got while on the Veendam last month is that HAL will surely build larger ships ... maybe slightly larger than the current Vista series ... but they will never go to the mega-ship size of some of the other fleets ... like 5,000+ passengers. The reason is simple. HAL likes to experiment with new and interesting itineraries. They like to add new ports and see how those ports go over with their passengers. The 5,000+ size ships don't readily lend themselves to much experimentation. In order to keep them filled week after week, the cruise line has to sail to tried and true places. Otherwise, they will wind up sailing with lots of open berths. And, these huge megaships, need to be filled in order to be profitable.

I think while HAL may build some larger ships down the pike ... more in their Signature Class category ... they will always retain the smaller ships ... even if they wind up procuring some from other cruise lines in the future, rather than building them from scratch. Those small ships make money for HAL because they are exactly what their loyal customers demand ... along with interesting and varied itineraries to sail on them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Yeah, its a HAL has a high percentage of repeaters thing. Although my repeater kiddo (8 HAL cruises) likes some innovations of other lines, he shows no interest in the megamega ships.

[quote="kryos"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl

I think while HAL may build some larger ships down the pike ... more in their Signature Class category ... they will always retain the smaller ships ... even if they wind up procuring some from other cruise lines in the future, rather than building them from scratch. Those small ships make money for HAL because they are exactly what their loyal customers demand ... along with interesting and varied itineraries to sail on them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
Yeah, its a HAL has a high percentage of repeaters thing. Although my repeater kiddo (8 HAL cruises) likes some innovations of other lines, he shows no interest in the megamega ships.
I can understand why. The megamega ships will rarely experiment with itineraries. You will wind up going to the exact same places, over and over again with them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Which is not necessarily bad, if that place is Halfmoon Cay. I thought I would not enjoy the made-up island when it was first developed, but it has been a favorite of the kiddo and I for years. Fond memories of banana boating, sand castle building, curly-tailed lizard chasing, the water park, glass bottom boating, bone fishing (more like baracuda chasing) and snorkling over those reef balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
I can understand why. The megamega ships will rarely experiment with itineraries. You will wind up going to the exact same places, over and over again with them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:24 AM
Admiral

One day we will find the Statendam, Veendam, Maasdam,Volendam, Zaandam, and Ryndam all floating someplace like Bangladesh and replaced by the new MagaDam class. All with open seating, I might add. Just think 5,000 ALL desiring dinner at 7 pm.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Wow~~I hope they don't change to those megaships.
One of the reasons HAL is so appealing to us, is that we hate the 'cattle call" feeling !
DH always says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Captain

HAL announced they will exercise their option for a siser to Eurdodam. Eurodam is due out July 2008 so the sister probably won't be out until roughly 2010. Gives us a little time to worry about what will come after E'dam's sister.

Also gives HAL time for them to firmly decide. I don't think they will take a Poll among us Mariners. ...even if I wish they would.
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Admiral

I have been on 100,000 ton ships ,I did not feel comfortable , everything was always a line up.especially coming on and off the ship. breakfast in
the morning on the lido was a mess . maybe it would of been better if people wasn`t always trying to butt in the line. I think that HAL`S
Maasdam , the ryndam and the Veendam are the perfect size.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Passenger

John Scott, the captain on the Noordam, earlier this year, told us that they are not going to get into the mega ship business. 2000 passengers+/- was where the company wanted to be.