Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Default MR. AND MRS. DAM

has anybody ever been pick to be mr. or mrs. dam. or have you ever found them.
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Friends travelling with us three years ago got very involved in this game and our friend found Mrs Statendam on the second day of the cruise and they are sworn to secrecy in order that the game may continue He received numerous small gifts that were well over a $100 in value.It is a good way to have people meet new friends and I have no idea how they pick this person and maybe someone else may have this answer.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Yes, I have been Mrs. Dam about 4 times, but that was a long time ago. DH was Mr. Dam once and found Mrs. Dam once - she was one of our tablemates. DH never knew that I was chosen to be Mrs. Dam (I know how to keep a secret) , but I knew when he was chosen to be Mr. Dam as the Hostess asked me first and I declined as I'd had the fun before so suggested that she ask him.

I received many lovely gifts the times I did it, including a big golf umbrella and 2 silver photo frames.

I don't think they do it anymore, at least they haven't done it on the last couple of ships I've been on.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Default Oops, they did it again

Had a tablemate find Mr. Princendam back in December '06, so the contest is still around.

Do know that some things, like horse races and shipbuilding contests are not always done on every ship. And some favorites, like trap shooting and bridge, galley, and engine room tours are no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
I don't think they do it anymore, at least they haven't done it on the last couple of ships I've been on.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

I think it done on the longer cruises.last april I did a 14 DAYS
on the ryndam and there was was one. in Nov. on the Westerdam
there was none. Or its done on the smaller ships only.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was chosen as Ms Maasdam last September, also Ms Amsterdam last November and Ms Volendam last December. It was a lot of fun. I was not found on the Maasdam, found on the 3rd day on the Amsterdam and found on the 2nd day on the Voley. It really is fun to do. You feel like a celeb. They don't do this contest on the Vista ships because they said it just did not work. Too bad, it's fun.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLP
I was chosen as Ms Maasdam last September, also Ms Amsterdam last November and Ms Volendam last December. It was a lot of fun. I was not found on the Maasdam, found on the 3rd day on the Amsterdam and found on the 2nd day on the Voley. It really is fun to do. You feel like a celeb. They don't do this contest on the Vista ships because they said it just did not work. Too bad, it's fun.
My last few cruises have been on Vista ships, so that is probably why I thought they had done away with it.

I haven't seen horseracing for quite a few years, but the ship building contest seems to continue on, although there never are very many entrants which is too bad.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Perhaps kiddo and I have scared off the boat competition with the likes of the Cubandam and Sinkingdam? One trade secret is to smuggle plenty of the the right shaped water bottles aboard. 8)

[quote="DeeDee"]
Quote:

...but the ship building contest seems to continue on, although there never are very many entrants which is too bad.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Admiral

I forgot about the ship building contest, some of the boats were really good. really well thought .
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: MR. AND MRS. DAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
Nope to both questions. For the first, I'm not outgoing and active enough in shipwide goings on to ever be picked to be Mrs. Dam, and as for the second ... as I said, I'm not outgoing enough to ask people ... other than those I know ... if they are Mr. or Mrs. Dam.

I happened to be talking to one of the cruise director's staff people on a previous cruise and this exact subject came up. He said that they select the people for these roles early in the cruise, and what they look for are people who are out and about, and very involved in the goings on around the ship. As he said, he wouldn't make much sense to choose as a Mrs. Dam someone who preferred to spend a lot of time in her cabin. If they did, no one would get much of an opportunity to find her.

He also told me that there are some stringent rules for finding the Mr. and Mrs. Dam. They are instructed to answer truthfully only if they are asked by someone privately ... not within a whole group of other passengers. For example, if you ask someone if they are Mrs. Dam while eight of your friends are standing right there, if they answered truthfully that they were then all eight of those people could be considered as having found her too. This wouldn't work too well.

So, if you are planning to ask someone if they are Mr. or Mrs. Dam, do it in a reasonably private manner, when others are not with you. If you do it in this way, and they are the Mr. or Mrs. Dam, they will answer truthfully, and then get your cabin number. They will promptly turn this information over to the Cruise Director or a member of his staff, and you will then get the credit for having found them.

The purpose of this whole exercise is to be an "icebreaker." It's to encourage passengers to talk to strangers and get to know them. The "game" is not conducted on the Vista class ships, however ... probably because they are so large and carry so many passengers that your chances of finding the Mr. and Mrs. Dam are quite small.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Passenger

I recently cruised the Maasdam (4May-19May Fort Lauderdale to Montreal), and on the 4th night, while the ship was encountering some heavy weather, a member of the cruise staff drew me aside and asked if I would like to become 'Mr. Maasdam', as the original selectee was quite seasick and remaining in his cabin. I agreed and was instructed to let her know the name and cabin number of the first individual to find me. I was further instructed to answer no to any subsequent inquiry once I was found. I never asked why she selected me, but on the tenth or maybe eleventh night I was 'found'. The individual finding me told me he noticed that I was all over the ship, at all 'dam dollar' activities, and that is the usual criterior for being selected. Anyway it was great fun during the disclosure event, and my dinner tablemates chided me good-naturedly about not letting them in on the secret. I enjoyed my 15 minutes of fame and the best part was not the gifts that I received, but an actual HAL crew nameplate lettered Mr. Maasdam that I proudly wore for that evening and keep as a cherished souvenir of this great cruise.
Old June 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
They don't do this contest on the Vista ships because they said it just did not work. Too bad, it's fun.

On my Noordam cruise back in November, 2006, they had this contest.

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old June 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brown
I enjoyed my 15 minutes of fame and the best part was not the gifts that I received, but an actual HAL crew nameplate lettered Mr. Maasdam that I proudly wore for that evening and keep as a cherished souvenir of this great cruise.
That is soooo kewl! They in effect made you an honorary member of the crew.

I don't doubt it's a cherished souvenir and always will be.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Rita, you are so right. It's a funny thing how wearing that little badge can affect your psyche. It made me feel responsible, as if I really was a member of the crew. I went out of my way to try to be helpful to other passengers, and try to reflect the great attitude and spirit of the real crewmembers. It was especially rewarding when some passengers mistook me for being one.
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brown
Rita, you are so right. It's a funny thing how wearing that little badge can affect your psyche. It made me feel responsible, as if I really was a member of the crew. I went out of my way to try to be helpful to other passengers, and try to reflect the great attitude and spirit of the real crewmembers. It was especially rewarding when some passengers mistook me for being one.
And the best thing too is that you got to wear the badge without having to work the ungodly long hours that go along with it.

I think HAL has some of the best people onboard of any of the cruise lines. HAL's crew people seem to want to go the extra mile for the passengers under their care. I can well imagine how wearing that badge would be an honor you would feel the need to live up to.

Again, congratulations!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Admiral

I still have my badge from being Mrs. Westerdam (old ship) back in 1996 and I still look at it and remember the fun I had. On that cruise the same lady found both Mr. & Mrs. Westerdam and seeing as she couldn't win the prizes for both, they asked me if I remembered who the second person was that asked me. Well, I had to rack my brain for that one but I finally did remember.
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: MR. AND MRS. DAM

Actually have had them at my table. BTW, until the end of the contest is announced they are supposed to keep mum even after they have been identified. Its all in the spirit of having the passengers mingle. 8)

Quote:
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Captain

I was asked to be Ms. Zuiderdam several years ago and also to be Ms. Maasdam. I declined in both cases as I knew it required my going to the disembarkation talk which I rarely do. I like to watch it on TV while I pack. I felt very honored and flattered to be asked and always have appreciated they did that for me.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I think it done on the longer cruises.last april I did a 14 DAYS
on the ryndam and there was was one. in Nov. on the Westerdam
there was none. Or its done on the smaller ships only.
It's not done on the Vista class ships because there are too many passengers; less likelihood of someone finding Mr. & Mrs. "Dam."

Blue skies ...

--rita