Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Default Any Takers On Zuiderdams Transatlantic March 2008 FL to Rome

Would love to hear from anyone that has booked on this Transatlantic Cruise in March 2008....Ft Lauderdale to Rome..the itinerary looks great.

Would love to hear from others that have sailed on the Zuiderdam..this will be our first experience.

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Any Takers On Zuiderdams Transatlantic March 2008 FL to

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilew
Would love to hear from anyone that has booked on this Transatlantic Cruise in March 2008....Ft Lauderdale to Rome..the itinerary looks great.
Sorry, I just don't personally care for the Vista-sized ships. TransAtlantics, though, are great. A couple of us are looking seriously at the Prisendam's Fall TransAtlantic, from Greece to Fort Lauderdale. I've always wanted to sail on the Prisendam. The itinerary has some really great ports. The trip itself should be 24 days of sheer bliss!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Beginner

Dear Rita:

Good Morning!

Just curious...since we are new to crusing, what is your objection to the Vista ships. Would love to get your feedback.

I would like to get my husband on the right ship in 2008. We cruised many years ago..Caribbean cruises and never cared for them...but, we live in Florida..so the cruises were not unique.

I will be on the Queen Mary on the 18th of this month..my DH is not going..Southampton to New York...so I will get the feel for days at sea. How did you like the QE2...I quickly perused your report?

Back to the Zuiderdam..as mentioned, we live in South Florida..so it would be easy to embark on the Zuidy in March of 2008 and then we would have a one way flight from Rome...we plan to do a post cruise in Rome. My husband hates to fly..sounds like a lot of people feel the same way..I think I can talk him into a one way flight only.

The itinerary on the Zuidy is similar to the TA you went on in April (I believe)..but, you were on the Veendam??

I read your informative report. It seemed like a lot of your port excursions were being cancelled. If you were to do your port excursions over...which ones would have you chosen instead...in Cadiz, the Portugal ports, Barcelona? Overall, did you enjoy the ports...if I recall you liked Croatia the best. The Zuidy cruises to Livorno (Florence/Pisa) and then disembarks in Rome..it doesn't cruise to Croatia area or Venice.

There's another TA cruise that I was looking at...the Celebrity Quest...which as of the other day they changed the name to Azarama(sp). It's a much smaller ship and the ports are unique. This one also embarks from South Florida and disembarks in Rome. It's 35,000 tons vs. 85,000 tons (the Zuidy).

I was concerned about the "motion of the ocean" on the smaller ship...but, we could always go mid ship and take meds. I did an interesting trip into Alaska..on the Alaskan Marine Highway, Ferry system in 2005. Very unique experience.. not a lot to do on board, but mingled with the locals which was interesting. Talk about high seas...it was rough going thru open sea..The Gulf of Alaska, but, that was only for a few days until we got to the mainland of Alaska...loved Alaska, especially the way we did it..not the normal cruise experience! We like unique traveling experiences.

My husband would be happy as long as he had a fully equipped fitness center to go to each day. I understand the Zuidy has one, but, Celebrity (Azarama..whatever), would also have one, but on a smaller scale. I do like the idea of the personalized service you would get on the smaller ship, but the ports are not the "known" ports, which actually could be a positive...Alicante is one, Corsica, Menorca...a few just from memory. This cruise leaves in April 2008...14 days vs 18 on the Zuidy??

Would love to get your feedback since you are an experienced cruiser.

Thanks,

Barb