Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Beginner

Default Prisendam questions

We are cruising for the first time and have a few questions.

Is there a wristband that you can buy for unlimited pop? We heard that some cruise lines offer such a thing. If not, do some people take their own soda?

When getting on or off the ship, is it ok to have a backpack with a cooler to take some food or drinks with you while visiting the towns?

Thanks for any help you can give us!
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Admiral

HAL does not use "wristbands" but you can buy a soda card. I can't remember the price or the number of sodas allowed on each card, but it is not unlimited. I think it's $20.00 + 15% gratuity for 20 sodas, but don't quote me on that.

You are now allowed to take any food off the ships in any of the ports. I read this on another board

"In almost all ports, local agricultural laws and regulations do not allow you to bring fresh food of any kind off the ship. This includes fruit/veg, milk and other dairy, meat, breads, and so forth. However, you can bring pre-packaged items (crackers, energy bars, small cereal boxes, and similar) and bottled water/canned soda off the ship to have as a snack. "We have been in ports where every bag and backpack was checked by dogs trained to sniff out food. The fines can be substantial.

Please do NOT take any foods, except the above off the ship. In the daily program you will be advised of this.
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Beginner

That helps a lot! Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Prisendam questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrose
Is there a wristband that you can buy for unlimited pop? We heard that some cruise lines offer such a thing. If not, do some people take their own soda?
You can probably bring a reaonable amount of soda onboard with you at embarkation. You can also by a fountain soda card ... good for 20 glasses of soda at any of the lounges or bars. I think you can also get them in the dining room on that card as well. I'm not sure what the soda card costs ... $20 something plus 15% gratuity.
Quote:
When getting on or off the ship, is it ok to have a backpack with a cooler to take some food or drinks with you while visiting the towns?
You can bring water off the ship with you ... either purchased right at the gangway or you can save some empty bottles and fill them up right in your stateroom from the bathroom tap. As for food and such, I don't believe you are permitted to bring food off the ship in most ports, but of course, if you have some munchies in your backpack, no one needs to know.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Just take water with you. Suggest you recycle your own water bottles by refilling with ship's tap. If kiddos along some sealed cracker packs OK. You do not want to be lugging a cooler around with you. If on a budget, look for local grocery and drug stores ashore instead of restaurants, or better yet time your shore leave to return to the ship for lunch.

Quote:
We are cruising for the first time and have a few questions.

Thanks for any help you can give us!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster
If on a budget, look for local grocery and drug stores ashore instead of restaurants, or better yet time your shore leave to return to the ship for lunch.
Maybe I'm cheap ... but I can't normally see eating shoreside when I'm already paying for my meals on the ship. Unless it is a truly exotic port where sampling the local fare would be important to me, I always time my excursions to get me back onboard in time to eat ... or, if it's an all day excursion, one that includes a meal in its price.

I guess I'd just rather spend the money that I would spend shoreside for food on something else ... a souvenior or whatnot.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Our thoughts exactly. I'm glad we're not the only ones who are trying to plan it that way. We are also thinking about how "safe" the food is at some of the cities we're going to. We have gotten our share of amoebas from foreign countries.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Rita:

Cheap is good, but safe is better, especially when travelling with a kiddo. We've only been sick once on a cruise and for just one day. Always bring my own drinking water. Guess I'm just risk adverse as an auditor. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
If on a budget, look for local grocery and drug stores ashore instead of restaurants, or better yet time your shore leave to return to the ship for lunch.
Maybe I'm cheap ... but I can't normally see eating shoreside when I'm already paying for my meals on the ship. Unless it is a truly exotic port where sampling the local fare would be important to me, I always time my excursions to get me back onboard in time to eat ... or, if it's an all day excursion, one that includes a meal in its price.

I guess I'd just rather spend the money that I would spend shoreside for food on something else ... a souvenior or whatnot.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Rita:

Cheap is good, but safe is better, especially when travelling with a kiddo. We've only been sick once on a cruise and for just one day. Always bring my own drinking water. Guess I'm just risk adverse as an auditor. 8)
Nothing worse than getting sick while on vacation. That's another reason why I prefer to eat on the ship. In some ports, you wouldn't want to chance the local food. At least I wouldn't.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Beginner

Default yellowrose, do I know you

Hey, we're travelling on the Prinsendam also. Do I know you?