Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Default Zaandam quad room---berth over parents bed?

I belived I read somewhere that the 4th bed in Large Outside quad room opens over the double bed (twins together) instead of over the sofa bed as we are used to. True? Any pictures to share? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Zaandam quad room---berth over parents bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feria
I belived I read somewhere that the 4th bed in Large Outside quad room opens over the double bed (twins together) instead of over the sofa bed as we are used to. True? Any pictures to share? Thanks.
I wish I could answer your question with accuracy, but I can tell you that I wouldn't want anyone in that berth over the bed ... especially an adult. I'd much prefer having two people in the sofa bed. Also, if that person in the overhead berth has to get up during the night, it's gonna be a wake-up call for both people in the bed.

Suggestion? If you have four people, get two cabins. You'll be glad you did. Four people in any one cabin is gonna be tight. Three people is barely manageable.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Rita - 2 people can't sleep on the sofa bed in a quad room as the sofa doesn't open out like a regular sofa bed, but somehow the cabin steward "flips" it and it can only be made into one bed.

I'm not sure but I think the 4th birth is above the sofa bed and not the double/twin beds.

If the children are small a quad will be fine but if they are teenagers, it will be crowded. In that case I would try and get 2 adjoining rooms and that way you would have 2 bathrooms.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Rita - 2 people can't sleep on the sofa bed in a quad room as the sofa doesn't open out like a regular sofa bed, but somehow the cabin steward "flips" it and it can only be made into one bed.

I'm not sure but I think the 4th birth is above the sofa bed and not the double/twin beds.

If the children are small a quad will be fine but if they are teenagers, it will be crowded. In that case I would try and get 2 adjoining rooms and that way you would have 2 bathrooms.
Thanks for the clarification. I've never had three people in a cabin ... so I wasn't sure since we've never had that sofa bed opened. I will probably be sailing on the QM2 next November with three adults in the cabin ... and the third will be in the sofa bed. But that's just a six-day TransAtlantic crossing. I know I sure wouldn't want to live under that arrangement for any serious length of time ... such as two weeks or more.

But, I guess if the other two people were small children, it wouldn't be too bad. But with four adults? No way. The other two would have to get their own cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did a quad on Statendam with 4 adults, the overhead bed is the same size as a lower twin.
The lower bed needs to be setup as twins, so the ladder will fit on side of overhead.
The bed under the overhead, well don't set up to fast or you'll hit your head.
None over the sofa, but we have only been in 2 of those rooms on the Statendam and Zaandam.
Virgil
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Beginner

Is the same setup on the Noordam? On another post I was told the bunk came out over the sofa bed...hmm. I have two small children who will be in our room. Is the sofa big enough for two children to share rather than the berth? Just curious.
Mary Jane
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjpower
Is the same setup on the Noordam? On another post I was told the bunk came out over the sofa bed...hmm. I have two small children who will be in our room. Is the sofa big enough for two children to share rather than the berth? Just curious.
Mary Jane
I'm not sure of the configuration of the quads on the Noordam, but I believe the bunk is above the sofa bed. However, the sofa bed is definitely not big enough for 2 children to share - it doesn't open out to sleep 2 people/children. Maybe one of the adults will have to sleep in the upper bunk.