Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Familiar Face

Default Your own personal Liquor

Your own liquor in your cabin. Have been told contradictory stories, that YES you can take it in your luggage and then some people say NO that they will take it away from you like other cruise lines do. What is the correct answer for Holland America?
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Liquor Policy
Passengers are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on to their ship. Alcoholic beverages can be purchased in the ship's gift shops or in foreign ports, but may be retained by the cruise line until the end of the voyage. If you are celebrating a special occasion, fine wines and champagne can be brought on board during embarkation only. If you choose to consume the wine in the dining room, a $10 (???? Current?) per bottle corkage fee is charged.

Most just stash it in the CHECKED luggage.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Liquor Policy
Passengers are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on to their ship. Alcoholic beverages can be purchased in the ship's gift shops or in foreign ports, but may be retained by the cruise line until the end of the voyage. If you are celebrating a special occasion, fine wines and champagne can be brought on board during embarkation only. If you choose to consume the wine in the dining room, a $10 (???? Current?) per bottle corkage fee is charged.

Some people do stash it in their checked luggage, and get away with it, but I'd hate to have it break. OMG what a mess that would be.

If you buy liquour in the gift shop you may not take it back to the cabin with you - they will deliver it to you at the end of the cruise. Same goes for anything bought in the various ports. All packages, purses, bags, etc. must go through the scanner each time you re-board the ship so if they find a bottle of liquour amongst your purchases, they will confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise.

Current corkage fee is $15.00 per bottle of wine/champagne, if you take it to the dining room to be served.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Double Zip Lock bags and a cushion of clothes will work just dandy.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
How do the cabin stewards handle that, though ... if they see lots of liquor in the cabin? Do they report you?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM
First Mate

They could care less.Why would they report you and especially when you will be giving them a nice tip?
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
First Mate

check the room service materials; HAL has several liquor/mixer packages which can be delivered to your cabin, and the prices aren't all that bad.

i order the scotch and soda package, and since i like my scotch with only a spash of water, they have always been happy to substitute diet coke for the soda, and that saves some money over drinking the sodas supplied in the cabin.

the price for the scotch is only slightly higher than i would pay here in georgia.

cheers!!!!
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Beginner

I just got off the Noordam. I purchased a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin as "gifts" on the HAL website before departure. Prices were OK-- a lot less than if we had used the mini-bar or individually purchased at a bar. We liked to have our evening cocktail, on the verandah, before getting ready for dinner. The bottles (liters) were delivered to our cabin--although one day late. Good luck and bon voyage.
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Wrap bottle in bubble wrap and put in ziploc bags in the middle of your clothes in checked luggage. I also started putting into those new large zip loc bags. Those bags then make great dirty clothes bags for the return home. We've done 14 cruises to date and have not lost a bottle yet. This works for those that drive to cruises like we do. When flying and considering weight limits, you might be better to purchase from Room Service and have a bottle delivered to cabin.
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
First Mate

My goodness how much does your booze weigh?your best bet is to still put in your checked luggage even if you have top repack before boarding the ship.
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Passenger

I understand you can bring wine when you walk on with HAL, but can you walk on with any beer?
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingJen
I understand you can bring wine when you walk on with HAL, but can you walk on with any beer?
Sorry, no. Only wine and champagne.
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Are you sure about that? I've walked on every cruise with a 12 pack of beer visible and they have never said a word. I know times are changing, but most of the time if they let you bring wine, you can bring some beer.
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Yes, I am very sure. Maybe other lines allow it, but not HAL.

Bringing Alcoholic Beverages Onboard
Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel's shops or otherwise brought on the ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

A few years ago they did allow liquour and beer, but times have changed.
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Admiral

All the cruise lines have the same basic statement ... No booze, except for wine.

That does not stop folks from toting it in the checked luggage. NCL is the one line that really cracks down on it.

Old June 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Quote:
All the cruise lines have the same basic statement ... No booze, except for wine.

That does not stop folks from toting it in the checked luggage. NCL is the one line that really cracks down on it.
True, but it's a pain in the butt to put cans and cans of beer in your luggage. Husband likes lots of beer. Has anyone put beer in their check in bags?
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Yes, I have seen many post (even some with pictures) of beer in the checked luggage.

I don't get it, but each to his own.

Same thing with bringing a case of water!

Old June 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Iris - I don't get it either. I can't understand why anyone wants to schlepp a case or two of beer or water when you can drink the water on the ship (which is probably a lot safer than the stuff in a bottle - at least you know where the ship's water comes from) or buy it on the ship. We have enough luggage without carrying extras.

Oh well, as you said, to each his own.
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Passenger

I agree with the water issue. I think the ship's water is just fine. I see people bringing cases of water on board. I just think the booze is so expensive onboard and I wish they would make the prices more reasonable so that it didn't tempt and force some to try and smuggle their own. When a guy drinks beer after beer on vacation, at 5 bucks a pop, it really can add up. We still buy drinks on the ship too here and there, but we try to bring on some stuff to ease the pain. I don't drink at all and could care less. I bring on some diet pepsi because they always only serve coke and I hate coke. I think the cheapest part of the cruise is the fare itself. When you add up wracked room tabs with booze, tips, and a few excursions, photos, shopping, etc., it can add up big time. After being on as many cruises as we have, we skip the photos and rarely do an expensive excursion. I am also an extra big tipper to my waiter and my room attendant if they are exceptional. Many times I leave my room attendant an extra $5 to $10 a night when we leave for dinner.
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Your own personal Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravellersrus
Your own liquor in your cabin. Have been told contradictory stories, that YES you can take it in your luggage and then some people say NO that they will take it away from you like other cruise lines do. What is the correct answer for Holland America?
on our Nov cruise we choose to do the bar set up. The prices are lower than any other line and we didn't have to worry about breakage or getting caught smuggling. We did have friend that brought a small bottle of gin on in there shipped luggage (it was a pint I think) we did bring lots of wine, I think about 12 bottles for 4 of us. Of course that was allowed. We did get charged the $15 corkage fee, but we didn't care, it was still cheaper than buying a bottle each night.

NMnita
Old June 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
How do the cabin stewards handle that, though ... if they see lots of liquor in the cabin? Do they report you?

Blue skies ...

--rita
No, in fact ours was so good, when he saw the bottles and th wine he immediately brought us low ball and wine glasses.

Nita
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

With HAL, you can pretty much get away with anything packed in your checked luggage. But, you can pre-order bar set-ups at prices that are not much more than what we pay here in PA for liquor. And you can pre-order 6 packs of beer. If I remeber, it was $18 per six pack for Heineken. Cheaper for domestics. While its not as cheap as beer at home, its cheaper than in the bars on the ship. And, you dont have to lug it from home and try to hide it. Is it really worth the aggrevation?

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Liquor Policy

A" tenner" in the right persons hand in the bottle shops will often lead to a bottle of your choice exiting same shop unopposed or so I'm told.
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac

A" tenner" in the right persons hand in the bottle shops will often lead to a bottle of your choice exiting same shop unopposed or so I'm told.
I think you were told WRONG! There is no way the shop people would ever let you take a bottle back to your cabin for a "tenner". They have to account for every bottle sold and distributed at the end of the cruise.
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was very pleased that on our Statendam cruise in 04/06 there was a bar menu where liquor and mixer could be ordered from room service. This was a full liter of liquor with X number of cans of mixer. The price was about $40 for Beefeater Gin.

It sure beats lugging it and having pine smelling underwear.

Holland America also has in cabin bar set up where you can pre-order bottles before you sail. Contact the Bon Voyage desk and ask about in cabin bar set up. It's not on the online menu but you can order it if you ask for it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac

I think you were told WRONG! There is no way the shop people would ever let you take a bottle back to your cabin for a "tenner". They have to account for every bottle sold and distributed at the end of the cruise.
It is accounted for but sometimes it leaves the shop ahead of schedule,but this would never happen on HAL
Old June 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Admiral

For ten dollars I don,t believe a that person would risk his job..
I always bring 2 bottles of wine in my check luggage. and nothing is said..