Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Is This Board Clinically Dead?

We need to shake this place up! I'm going to think up some questions and discussion topics, and then post them. Stay tuned...

Shelby
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Passenger

It must be dead. I've posted questions that never even get answered. This board does seem to be one of the slower ones indeed. It does have some good information, but it is nothing like Cruise Critic or some of the other hopping ones.
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

The board isn't dead to me. I've been getting good information to my questions and I think i've put them in the wrong place. Like Holland instead of excursions. Thank you all again for the good information.
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Cruising Jen,
What other boards are hopping ? I agree, it has been slow.
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's slow, imo, because many people have taken their cruises and are planning their next ones. It will pick up. It is a good source of infor. I'd be interested in finding new boardsa too.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Probably has to do with the fact that many Hal cruisers are a little more mature and have cruised / traveled quite a bit and don't need to ask all the questions such as :
how can I smuggle alcohol aboard, how early can I board the ship, how early can I get off the ship, how do I dress for formal night, how and how much do I tip, etc., etc., etc.
I really think that has a lot to do with it. People who are cruising for the first time or two and with famalies have more questions than a middle aged couple who has cruised a dozen times or so.
At least that's my opinion, which isn't worth a thing except to me .

I have been wondering about Sail7seas-- she is the expert on HAL and haven't heard anything from her for a while-- just wondering if they are off on some exotic jaunt somewhere ??? S7S, can you send us a signal from which ever remote post you're currently located ??
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Even the other board is slow right now. Lots of people busy with the start of summer ... graduations, Father's Day, kids getting out of school, summer trips in the works ... not to mention cruises.

It'll pick up.

In the meantime we can still have fun.

Anyone have any special cruise-related topic near and dear to your heart? If so, let's hash it out.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Admiral

If you wish this board to pick up and get interesting , you have to ask questions or give your opinion.there are too many lurkers and not enough
write ins. we need more participation. if we try harder!!!
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Passenger

Ron,
I was thinking the same thing about HAL crusiers, most more experienced and not that in to boards. We were signed up earlier on Princess Dawn SF round trip to Alaska and it was just as slow for the roll call. Previously, our Summit and Carnival Pride cruises had very active boards.

I will post when I have questions or if I have answers/opinions not already stated. Things have been busier when cruises get closer.
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
First Mate

they all came over here when the other site was having techinical problems...looks like most of them have gone back since the problems were fixed
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Probably has to do with the fact that many Hal cruisers are a little more mature and have cruised / traveled quite a bit and don't need to ask all the questions such as :
how can I smuggle alcohol aboard, how early can I board the ship, how early can I get off the ship, how do I dress for formal night, how and how much do I tip, etc., etc., etc.
I really think that has a lot to do with it. People who are cruising for the first time or two and with famalies have more questions than a middle aged couple who has cruised a dozen times or so.
At least that's my opinion, which isn't worth a thing except to me .

I have been wondering about Sail7seas-- she is the expert on HAL and haven't heard anything from her for a while-- just wondering if they are off on some exotic jaunt somewhere ??? S7S, can you send us a signal from which ever remote post you're currently located ??

Hi Ron.....

Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it.

I've been on the 'other board'.
I read here from time to time. I don't post much though as ....well, doesn't matter why.

We leave for B2B's and can't wait. Really ready for a 'dose of HAL'. Nothing like it!!!

Thanks again for your nice comments.
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Sail7Seas--
I hadn't seen anything from you lately and figured you were away on some adventure. Congrats on the back-to-back--enjoy.
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Well ... it seems clinically dead. This was the 1st cruise board I discovered several years ago. I posted questions and weeks went by without an answer, if any. We're taking another cruise, our 1st in 3 years. I posted a number of questions, probably in May. Very few answers. Now, I check in maybe once or twice a month - mostly to find the same thing up there. Too bad.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq
Cruising Jen,
What other boards are hopping besides cruisecritic? I agree, it has been slow.
Personally, I think the "other board" has been slower than normal lately as well. I think it's just the time of the year. People are either preparing for vacations or are taking them. Message boards, and even postings to newsgroups, slow down in the summer ... just as they do on weekends all year long. People are just extra busy and don't have time to sit in front of their computers. Also, many of us ... myself included ... do most of their posting/reading of newsgroups and message boards at work. If we're on vacation, we're pretty much offline. Simple as that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
We leave for B2B's and can't wait. Really ready for a 'dose of HAL'. Nothing like it!!!
Have a great set of cruises, Sail. Let us know how you enjoyed them when you get back.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old June 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Passenger

gee- I thought I was the only one who thought this board was "dead"...
janettekay
Booked -Caribbean HAL Noordam 10/2008
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Default Senior Citizens

How about telling us about cruises for older senior citizens that maybe as fit as a 65 year old. Would love more on this subject
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Senior Citizens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macie
How about telling us about cruises for older senior citizens that maybe as fit as a 65 year old. Would love more on this subject
I'd personally recommend Holland America Line for this type of cruise, especially if you are traveling solo. Also, I would recommend a longer duration cruise since a lot of solo senior travelers take them.

I did Hawaii/South Pacific on the ms Amsterdam in January 2006. Thirty days of pure bliss. I was one of about 100 singles traveling on that voyage, and most of those singles were older. After all, one usually has to be retired to take a voyage of this length ... I'm a rare exception at 51 in that I accrue loads of vacation time every year.

Most of those older folks on this voyage were quite spry for their age. They participated in shore excursions and some of them were quite physically challenging. Those with challenges did lesser strenuous things in port. But I would have to say that most passengers did get off the boat at each port. After all, how could you travel to the Hawaiian Islands and the South Pacific without getting off? Those places are just too beautiful to be viewed merely from the deck.

I am sure there are other cruise lines that do longer voyages as well. Cunard's QE2 comes to mind also. But the point of this post is that if you are a senior who wants to see some exotic places with lots of people of like age and sense of adventure, book a longer cruise. They are naturally a magnet for people who want more out of a cruise than just "party time."

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Admiral

I cruise also alone often and I do it on HAL. I find many single
ladies and gentleman sailing alone also. Many of them are older than me but They have so much energy sometimes I am left in the dust. It may be an older cruise but it not boring.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Passenger

Posted here more than a month ago. Yup, it's clinically dead.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
I cruise also alone often and I do it on HAL. I find many single
ladies and gentleman sailing alone also. Many of them are older than me but They have so much energy sometimes I am left in the dust. It may be an older cruise but it not boring.
I'm young, but I sure don't find all old people boring either. Some have more energy than me! I'm really looking forward to a more sophisticated, laid back cruise without all the party hype. I enjoy both. I think there is a time and place for both.
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Admiral

[quote="CruisingJen"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
I'm young, but I sure don't find all old people boring either. Some have more energy than me! I'm really looking forward to a more sophisticated, laid back cruise without all the party hype. I enjoy both. I think there is a time and place for both.
The neat thing about the older folks you'll find on cruise ships is that they generally love to travel, have the time and money now to do so, and have some wonderful stories to tell. The younger folks just do not have the breadth of experience that these older ones do, and that's why I love striking up conversations with those "boring" seniors onboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfette

So far, this thread has received more than twenty replies and 700 views, which is not indicative to me of a board which is "clinically dead".
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiklesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfette

So far, this thread has received more than twenty replies and 700 views, which is not indicative to me of a board which is "clinically dead".
I see new posts everyday ... so while this board may not be as active as some (we've got to do something about that), it is far from dead ... clinically or otherwise.

Blue skies ...

--rita