Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Default Deposit amount?

I looked in the brochure and on the Holland America website, but didn't find an answer to this. For a 7 day cruise, what is the deposit amount?

I did a quick search on Expedia, just to get an idea of the total price, but it shows as $700 deposit for 2 people. Seems odd to me, as I've never had to put more than $500 down on any 7 day cruise for the other cruiselines I've sailed. Is this a Holland thing, or just Expedia's required deposit.

Thanks
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Quickly looking through HAL's brochure the deposit for a 7 day cruise is usually $350.00 per person. This is what HAL requires, not Expedia.

On 10-11 day cruises the deposit the deposit is $600 pp.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Thanks...I didn't see it in the brochure. Tired eyes I guess.
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quickly looking through HAL's brochure the deposit for a 7 day cruise is usually $350.00 per person. This is what HAL requires, not Expedia.

On 10-11 day cruises the deposit the deposit is $600 pp.
The deposit, I believe, is generally calculated based on a percentage of the total cruise price. However, be aware that HAL occasionally offers specials where they accept a $100 per person deposit to hold a cabin. Another great way to reduce the deposit amount required is to book while onboard another HAL cruise. You can either book something specific, or if you are not sure ... make a couple of "open bookings." $100 per person deposit will serve as a placemarker, tied to your Mariner number. Then, when your plans firm up, you can have your travel agent move the "open booking" deposit to the cruise of your choice. From what I understand, the only exceptions to this are Grand and World Voyages. A $100 deposit cannot be used to hold a spot on them.

This "open booking" deal is exactly what VeniceCruiser and I used to reserve our spot on the Prisendam's 24-day TransAtlantic next November. We made a couple of "open bookings" while on the Veendam this past April, and once our plans firmed up upon return home, had the travel agent move them to this Prisendam sailing.

Of course, these cheap deposits do nothing to reduce the cost of the cruise. At some point, the piper must be paid and you only have to come up with substantially more money than you would have had you made a more traditional deposit amount. But the $100 deal is sure nice in that you don't have a lot of money sitting on cruises that are a year or more into the future. That money ain't earning you no interest.

Blue skies ...

--rita