CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   1 to 10 How Much Do You Care - Dress Code? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/336548-1-10-how-much-do-you-care-dress-code.html)

sail7seas July 19th, 2007 12:06 PM

1 to 10 How Much Do You Care - Dress Code?

Does it matter to you if HAL maintains a Dress Code and enforces it? Or is it fine by you if people come to the dining room dressed in whatever way they wish?

CruisingJen July 19th, 2007 12:30 PM

Dress code is very important to me. Either way, if it's casual, fine, if it's nicer dressing all the time, fine, but whatever the dress code is, we follow it and expect others to do the same. I also prefer the cruiselines to enforce the dress codes, especially on formal night.

DeeDee July 19th, 2007 12:35 PM

In some ways it's important, but if someone is going to come to the dining room or walk around the ship not dressed properly, then that's their problem not mine. I'm not going to get upset and let them spoil my vacation. We dress properly and what others do is no concern to us.

earl July 19th, 2007 09:28 PM

I think you dress proper for the occasion, don,t wear a t-shirt and shorts at dinner. wear the proper attire for the occasion. During the year I don,t have too many chances to dress up. crusing is my chance to.

Ron July 19th, 2007 09:35 PM

If I read the question correctly, it asks on a scale of 1-10 how much we care about the dress code.
My response would be about a 7. I believe that if a restaurant ( on a ship or on land ) has a dress code, then they should either enforce it or abandon it period. That's part of my concern. The second part is that people who don't make a halfway decent effort to adhere to the suggested dress code are blatantly defying the rules and thumbing their noses at the ones who do. On some rare ocassion there may be someone who hasn't gotten their luggage and doesn't have their clothes but that would be easily explained and , I'm sure, overlooked by everyone.
I'm not suggesting everyone wear a tux, long formal gowns, etc. on formal nights but at the least a dark coat and tie would be better than strolling in looking better suited for Golden Corral than a fine dining establishment. And, no-- it doesn't ruin my dinner or cruise if someone is not wearing a coat and tie.
OK, start shooting. I can take it-- been shot at many times. :) :)

sail7seas July 19th, 2007 10:42 PM

Ditto what Ron says.

I agree with almost everything you said.

kryos July 21st, 2007 07:49 PM

Re: 1 to 10 How Much Do You Care - Dress Code?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas
Does it matter to you if HAL maintains a Dress Code and enforces it? Or is it fine by you if people come to the dining room dressed in whatever way they wish?

I've always said ... to each his own. Of course, I'm not advocating people coming to the dining room dressed in flipflops, tee-shirts and cut-off shorts. But, I'm not saying people should be forced to wear gowns and tuxes either.

I know some folks feel that they go on cruises to get dressed up and having formal nights is very, very important to them. But I say, why should I have to don the sequened tops and silk pants just because dressing up is important to someone else. Of course, I do make the effort because I am on a HAL ship and HAL has certain dress codes. So, I have to abide by them. But I think the rules are dumb and I honestly think that with the roll-out of As You Wish Dining, they will soon change. I think the dress code may only be enforced in the traditional dining room, with folks in As You Wish not being required to follow it.

Now I know some people will say that the dress code is actually the dress code throughout the ship for the entire evening. But to that I say that I have never, ever seen someone dressed decently turned away from the show lounge or any bar simply because their attire was not strictly formal on a formal night. Lots of people dress up for dinner and then run right back to their cabins to change into something more comfortable afterwards, and I've seen them all over the ship on formal nights.

My feeling is that if dressing formal is important to you and the group you are traveling with, then by all means set up certain nights on the cruise where you and your group are gonna dress to the nines, and to h*ll with anyone who doesn't like it. You don't need the ship to declare a formal night in order to break out all your best finery. Then, when you and your group come to dinner, you'll be amongst the best dressed in the dining room and I am sure lots of other passengers will admire your attire. You'll probably get loads of compliments and will feel extra special because of it. In fact, I'll probably be one of the folks complimenting you.

But for those who would prefer not to dress to the nines, I think that's okay too ... just so long as a certain level of decorum aboard the ship is maintained. To me, casual does NOT mean jeans, tee-shirts and flipflops. It means the kind of outfit you would wear to a decent restaurant at home ... at the very least.

Like I said a long time ago ... I don't see mandatory formal nights lasting on HAL too much longer. Now that As You Wish Dining is being rolled out, I see their demise coming in the very near future. But, again, that does not mean someone can't dress formally, on any night they so choose.

Blue skies ...

--rita

tennisbum July 22nd, 2007 12:18 AM

Disagree with your comments on formal attire as I conducted a survey on this line some time ago and the results were that formal was the choice and even more so by the women. In my opinion Holland will be the last to make any changes.WE have been cruising since the early 50,s when most really enjoyed dressing for dinner to include a coat and tie every night.

kryos July 22nd, 2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbum
Disagree with your comments on formal attire as I conducted a survey on this line some time ago and the results were that formal was the choice and even more so by the women. In my opinion Holland will be the last to make any changes.WE have been cruising since the early 50,s when most really enjoyed dressing for dinner to include a coat and tie every night.

Yeah, but in many, many cases those women have to fight like cats with their husbands to get them into a tux. :)

Seriously, I guess time will tell on this issue. Your opinion is just as valid as mine. We'll just have to see.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Dianeisme313 July 22nd, 2007 06:54 PM

/b 10, if you don't want to dress up for dining go to the lido deck to eat and don't bother with the dining room - same food, even get your tray carried and water brought to you. Dining room is meant to be nice and we should dress for it. Lido is such a loose term on a HAL ship. So extremely nice compare to Carnival ships.

Now lets talk about flip flops. I saw some ladies dress very nicely and had nice flip flops. ha, just been home a week now from our Alaska inner passage cruise.

tennisbum July 22nd, 2007 09:38 PM

They would probably wear the same flip flops to a formal wedding.If the cruise line has put their requirement in writing we should attempt to comply period.Go to the Lido and have at it. That is why they put it there.

Fieldmouse July 23rd, 2007 10:01 AM

[quote="Ron"]If I read the question correctly, it asks on a scale of 1-10 how much we care about the dress code.
My response would be about a 7. I believe that if a restaurant ( on a ship or on land ) has a dress code, then they should either enforce it or abandon it period. That's part of my concern. The second part is that people who don't make a halfway decent effort to adhere to the suggested dress code are blatantly defying the rules and thumbing their noses at the ones who do. On some rare ocassion there may be someone who hasn't gotten their luggage and doesn't have their clothes but that would be easily explained and , I'm sure, overlooked by everyone.
I'm not suggesting everyone wear a tux, long formal gowns, etc. on formal nights but at the least a dark coat and tie would be better than strolling in looking better suited for Golden Corral than a fine dining establishment. And, no-- it doesn't ruin my dinner or cruise if someone is not wearing a coat and tie.

OK, start shooting. I can take it-- been shot at many times. :) :)[/
quote]

Yes...I agree too. Well said. There are some people who do not have common sense and need boundries set.

For example: Casual dining...it won't take but a second for them to think it means flip flops, shorts and a Tshirt.

bicker July 24th, 2007 12:27 PM

I abhor self-focused, extreme judgments, in either direction. So that means the lout who comes to Formal Night dressed in bluejeans and a t-shirt is wrong, but so is the lout who condemns anyone who chooses to wear anything that is within the explicit bounds of the cruise line's written dress code. Saying, "The rules don't apply to me," is wrong, but saying "My rules apply to everyone," is also wrong.

kryos July 24th, 2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianeisme313
Now lets talk about flip flops. I saw some ladies dress very nicely and had nice flip flops. ha, just been home a week now from our Alaska inner passage cruise.

No matter how nice the Lido is, it's still buffet. Also, the times for casual dining are very limited ... so that doesn't work for some people.

Again, I'm not saying people should ever come to the dining room dressed in beachware ... shorts, tanktops, flip flops, etc. ... but they shouldn't be required to dress to the nines either. That's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :)

And I honestly think the cruise lines will change dress codes over the next year or so, eliminating formal nights, if for no other reason that the strict airline baggage rules in force today ... rules that will probably get ever tighter for coach passengers.

Yep, the times ... they are a'changin ... and I guess we just have to roll with them. We really have no other choice if we want to cruise. Just read the home page of this site today. Another cruise line has just eliminated smoking in cabins. Still another has tightened their onboard smoking policies. You think I'm happy about that? I'm a smoker. But if I want to continue cruising, I have to accept that society is changing in regard to their tolerance of smokers. Do I like it? Heck no. But if I want to cruise, I'm gonna find myself dealing with stricter and stricter onboard smoking policies ... and there's not a darned thing I can do about it. Same with dining. The majority will rule. The majority is demanding a flexible dining option ... this As You Wish Dining. They got it. Perhaps someday, if the numbers work out, HAL will eliminate traditional dining altogether. If the majority of people are noting on their comment cards that they don't like the mandatory formal nights, at some point HAL will eliminate those as well. It's all about pleasing their customers and bringing them back again and again.

We'll just have to wait and see how the majority weigh in on this issue.

Blue skies ...

--rita

earl July 24th, 2007 05:30 PM

I think its important that Hal picks up the rules for dressing at supper time.
Dining at night has always has been a big highlight. If you don.t
want to dress proper, cruise with carnival

nmnita July 24th, 2007 11:26 PM

1-10 I would say about 8 or 9. this doesn't mean I think there necessarily should be a formal dress code, just what ever the policy is, it should be enforced.

I personally like a more relaxed standard as lugging all that crap is getting to be a pain, especially with the 40 lbs luggage restrictiions today.

As long as the policy is enforced and everyone is clean and neat I really don't care too much.

Nita :roll:

bicker July 25th, 2007 06:31 AM

I'm glad to see the cruise lines keeping up with the times. Our society is adopting more casual dress, and eschewing formal dress, not as a childish reaction, but as a carefully considered decision. I far prefer more people complying with contemporary dress codes then more people violating antiquated dress codes!

LucD July 25th, 2007 07:10 AM

if you don't want to follow the rules, go with another cruiseline, go with carnival or with the windstar cruiseline, here you don't have to dressup all the time

kryos July 25th, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucD
if you don't want to follow the rules, go with another cruiseline, go with carnival or with the windstar cruiseline, here you don't have to dressup all the time

Well, of course this is excellent advice. However, the majority will rule on this, as with all cruising traditions. If it turns out that the majority don't want to dress up, and express that on their comment cards, then I am sure at some point HAL, as well as many other cruise lines, will drop their formal dress requirements. However, conversely, if the majority stands up for the formal dress code, and expresses their displeasure with those who don't follow it, then I am sure formal dress codes, along with tougher enforcement standards, will prevail. And that's exactly the way it should be.

So if the majority upholds formal nights, and demands them, then you are right ... people like me have a choice. We either play ball or find another cruise line without formal dress requirements.

But I do agree with you. If people are gonna sail a line that adheres to formal nights, then they should respect them and at least make an attempt at formal dress.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ron July 25th, 2007 11:15 PM

I don't mean to stir the pot on the dress for cruising--- that argument and debate will go on forever as it seems to already done so--but--
Assume the cruise line drops the " formal " in formal night. Suppose they say, okay, no need to bring suit and tie, just nice slacks, shirts, etc. in the dining room-- you know-- country club casual-- nice slacks, slippers collared/button up type shirt etc.
Now where do we go from here when those who can't grasp the " formal " in formal night can't grasp the nice slacks/shirt thing and show up in jeans, tee-shirts, etc? What do they do then-- lower the standards again after a time so as to not alienate a few who just can't get it? Pretty soon they would have to adjust downward again and basically before long it's Golden Corral night in the Rotterdam Dining room. Then--- why even have a dining room-- just have feeding troughs open round the clock to come and go at will and as you are.
I think there has to be cooperation from both the cruiseline and from passengers regarding the dress.
The cruise line offers those who wish to dress up a dining experience in which to do so--- called the dining room.
The cruiseline offers those who do not want to dress up a dining experience called the buffet.
The problem is that the cruiseline won't hold up their end of the bargain and allows people into the dining room who aren't properly dressed and there are some passengers who won't observe their obligation by not going to the buffet but instead to the dining room when not properly dressed. So, there's blame on both sides.

But as I said, the debate over dress will never end. Some say we are changing and everything's more casual today than a few years ago, etc. I agree and completely understand. I see it in banks, offices, etc. I know too that many places that tried "casual fridays " etc. gave it up and went back to business attire because--- guess why--- some folks just went too far with the casual thing.
When I worked I was in the claims dept. of a large insurance company. We had to meet and deal with the whole spectrum of society. We went through a couple phases of dress codes. When I started out, we were allowed to wear khaki or docker type slacks and collared shirts. Then somewhere along the line, some few started wearing jeans every now and then. Then a little more often, etc. etc. Bottom line was that a few ruined it all for everyone and we had to start wearing a coat and tie. Years later, we went back to casual--- lasted about a year and half --- back to coat and tie-- because some oddball screwed it up again with his jeans and cowboy boots.

Call me old fashioned, out of step or whatever but there are certain standards that never go out of style. Good manners, cleanliness,
and plain common sense are a few. They aren't out of style-- it's just that not too many know how to use them anymore.
There--- I said it. Feel better too!!

:D :D

Dianeisme313 July 25th, 2007 11:40 PM

But isn't it true that if you don't want to dress up you don't want to mess with the dining room anyway. Waiting around for hours for the food and all that goes with it. I think cruiselines will keep dining rooms and nicer dress codes at least cruiselines like HAL.

Those who want to graze will want to get on with it in the lido deck. They don't want to dress up and wait around for their food (smaller portions to boot). They want to pile it on and eat & eat & eat.

edrosado1 July 30th, 2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Of course it matters. Why was it established in the first place.
Are we going back to sailing to the Carribbean with a patch in one eye and a parrot on the shoulder."How rude!"

kryos July 31st, 2007 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edrosado1
Of course it matters. Why was it established in the first place.

Maybe because when dress codes were put in, at that time it mattered? What if the majority of today's cruisers don't like the formal thing? Shouldn't the rules change if the majority wants them changed?

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not at all implying that a majority doesn't like the formal dress code. I am just saying that, as with all things, businesses have to remain flexible and open to change when their market demands change. So, if HAL's market demand is truly changing in this regard, then it would stand to reason that HAL would change with it and perhaps eliminate the formal night requirement.

Blue skies ...

--rita

shayesship August 4th, 2007 05:06 PM

VERY IMPORTANT to me! I follow dress code always. If other people do not adhere to it this does not RUIN my trip but I DO take notice.

venice August 4th, 2007 06:37 PM

From a male perspective...if my GF looks good, I darn well better look good and I love to see a woman get dressed up every night on our cruise

the only other time I get to wear my tux is at the Zulu Ball

hammybee August 8th, 2007 12:39 PM

What if HAL treated their passengers like adults and eliminated the dress code, no different then 99% of restaurants, resorts and entertainment venues? If the only thing standing between a tux and a hero shirt is a dress code, the majority have already spoken.

I think the majority would continue to clean up well for dinner, regardless of a code, because they want to, not because they have to.

( BTW, I tend to overdress and don't care what other people wear)

CruisePhD August 9th, 2007 10:37 AM

Since the ship has a dress code for certain nights and hours of day, then it is a 7-8 for me that it be enforced. For every person who is excited about the opportunity to dress up on formal night, there is at least another one who tries to get by with the minimum. If the cruise line doesn't nicely reinforce their standards, then people learn it is not important if they don't follow them. And if the dress code is not important enough for the staff to reinforce it, then get rid of it or keep it to a bare minimum.

I know I sound rather rigid, but I tend to be one of those people who follows the rules and it bugs me to see other people get away with breaking them. :x

HALGAL August 10th, 2007 12:01 PM

The dress code matters a 10, to me. If I wanted to dine with people who dress as if they were eating in their back yard I would not go to the dining room on a HAL ship. Bravo to Ron, I agree with everything he said. Once a dress code is abandoned you can expect anything. Just look at the schools.
If putting forth the effort of dressing nicely(even on casual nights) for the dining room is to much, then go to the Lido. I believe you accept ALL the rules of the cruise line when you book your trip. If you don't accept these, then go else where. When you break the rules and forget your manners you infringe on other people's enjoyment.

new22003 August 10th, 2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

1 to 10 How Much Do You Care - Dress Code?

How much do we care about the dress code? 9
How much do we care what others do? 2

We choose to dress for dinner every night in at least a jacket. Its fun for us and we think it the proper thing to do.

On the other hand there is nothing worse than sitting next to someone at dinner having to hear them complain about people. PLEASE DON’T COMPLAIN OVER DINNER. We sat next to a couple 2 cruises ago who’s greatest joy was complaining. You would think the woman was having a heart attack every time a man walked into the dining room with just khakis and a polo. The last day I wanted to forgo my usual suit and wear shorts just to see her reaction. :twisted: People should dress for dinner but if they don’t it’s not the end of the world.

Irish Shark August 10th, 2007 12:19 PM

10+ for me. I remember on the grand old lady (SS Norwsy) that gents were not allowed in public rooms after 1800 without a coat and tie.

I guess the old times are gone by the wayside with the "new" way to cruise.

http://images17.fotki.com/v313/photo...ybanner-vi.jpg