Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Beginner

Default Teens on HAL

Is HAL a "teen friendly" cruise line? We were thinking of traveling on the MS Zuiderdam to Europe in July 2008. Would there be many teens and teen activities onboard?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Teens on HAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccccc
Is HAL a "teen friendly" cruise line? We were thinking of traveling on the MS Zuiderdam to Europe in July 2008. Would there be many teens and teen activities onboard?
I certainly can't say for sure, but I would assume that any itinerary that goes in the month of July is gonna have a decent amount of kids/teens onboard. Of course, you probably won't have as many as you would on an Alaska or Caribbean sailing, but there should be at least some. Summertime is high season for family travel.

Blue skies and have fun ...

--rita
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Admiral

I agree with Rita, summer months always brings out the kids, teens as well as younger kids. I would add, the Europian cruises will not have an many kids as the Caribbean and even the Alaskan. this doesn't mean there will not be kids, it simply means not in the numbers you may be accustom to. Nita
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Familiar Face

Been on this ship before and beleive me HAL is not for kids. Most of the pax on HAL are over 50, and most activities on the ship are over by 10pm. Especially an European tour will be even worse.
Your best bet will always be Carnival or RCCL if your traveling with teens, since these ships have been built to accomodate the young crowd.
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Admiral

agree, carnival RCI but also NCL, we have been doing them with teens lately and it has been great, it has something for everything from young to old.....I would never take kids on HAl and given the age group of many on board, I feel like I belong in a kids program. Feel the same way about celebrity.
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrosado1
Been on this ship before and beleive me HAL is not for kids. Most of the pax on HAL are over 50, and most activities on the ship are over by 10pm. Especially an European tour will be even worse.
Your best bet will always be Carnival or RCCL if your traveling with teens, since these ships have been built to accomodate the young crowd.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Yes, HAL has a kids program that is supposedly very good, but let's face it ... how can HAL possibly hold a candle to some of the other lines that have mega facilities for kids? HAL certainly has no rock climbing wall, surfing simulator, bungee trampolines, ice skating rink, bowling alley, etc., etc.

I love HAL specifically because it does not have these things. I prefer my cruises on the more sedate side. I don't care to have a bunch of screaming, laughing kids around me when I am on vacation. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying I dislike kids ... I just prefer a quieter environment. But on the flip side of that ... if I did have kids, I doubt I would ever take them on a HAL cruise ... especially one that had more than one or two sea days. I'd be afraid that they would be bored out of their minds and then be in my hair all day.

But I guess on a cruise with a lot of ports, it wouldn't really matter. The fun things would be in port anyway ... and it wouldn't much matter what ship or cruise line was used to get there.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:52 AM
Beginner

I have taken four cruises on Royal Caribbean, three in the Caribbean and one in Europe. I love their ships, but after four times, I want something different. I must agree that Europe cruises are not as ‚Äúlively‚Ä? as the Caribbean, but there is too much of the world to see to go back there for a fourth time. Does anyone have any recommendations for other cruise lines with teen activities, such as a night dance club for teens?
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Admiral

As I mentioned NCL has been a real hit with my teen and the teens of my friends as well as the young adults.