Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Default jeans are allow in dining room

Ncl came out saying that jeans are allow in the dining room at night.
what next , sneakers and baseball caps. that another reason why I cruise with holland America " no jeans''
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Can you provde a link for this?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Can you provde a link for this?
I couldn't find it on NCL's web site, but found this on the "News" page of another board

NCL Dining Rooms Officially Adopt "Jeans Allowed" Policy

August 6, 2007

NCL Dining Rooms Officially Adopt "Jeans Allowed" Policy
In a move sure to raise hackles among those who prefer cruising's more traditional ambience, Norwegian Cruise Line is the first cruise line to adopt a dining room dress policy that's truly informal -- jeans are actually allowed if not also encouraged. It says so. In a press release distributed to travel agencies this week (upon first reading it we actually checked our calendars to make sure it somehow wasn't April Fool's Day), the line outlines its dress restrictions: "At night, it's relaxed. Casual shirts and pants, even nice jeans (that’s new) for guys. For women, it’s slacks or jeans (also new), dresses, shirts and tops. Shirts and nice shorts are fine for kids under 12."

For those who feel dinner to be a formal affair, one restaurant -- typically the aft-facing main dining room (but it might vary by ship) -- will always be designated jeans-free. But on a ship like Norwegian Jewel, with 10 venues for eating -- including a sushi joint, an Italian restaurant, a steakhouse and a French restaurant -- that amounts to the majority of options being all casual, all the time.

A closer look at the written policies of other mainstream lines indicates a hesitation to formally outlaw jean wearing at dinnertime. Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Celebrity have avoided explicitly forbidding denim-at-dinner, merely indicating what should be worn: sport shirts and slacks for men; sundresses or pants for women. These guidelines, of course, apply to casual nights onboard; the same rules for formal evenings still apply.

Only Princess has made a solid commitment, officially prohibiting jeans from the dining room.

No wonder we prefer to HAL.
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have changed my previous response:

NCL has published their official release and they have updated their webpage:

NCL Dress Code FAQ

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cm...=FAQ#dresscode

How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Admiral

This is a very touchy subject, I know that.
Certainly though reasonable people should wish to dress nicely for a dinner in an elegant atmosphere. Jeans should be fine for the casual buffet on the lido deck, but NOT in white table clothed dining room. What sort of people would wear jeans to a formal affair anyway? Kind of like the Garth Brooks song " I showed up in boots to your black tie affair" or some sort of Jeff Foxworthy joke.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Passenger

I hate being the bearer of bad news. Jeans have been allowed in HAL's dining rooms, on causal evenings, for more than a year now.
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammybee
I hate being the bearer of bad news. Jeans have been allowed in HAL's dining rooms, on causal evenings, for more than a year now.
That is true. There's no mention of jeans on casual nights in the know before you go booklet or on their website. I've seen jeans in the dining room on casual nights on Holland America.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: jeans are allow in dining room

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
what next , sneakers and baseball caps. that another reason why I cruise with holland America " no jeans''
Actually you're wrong about that. Holland America removed jeans from their list of prohibited clothing items on casual nights. There was a furor about it on these boards about a year ago.

So, yes ... on casual nights jeans are totally permissible in Holland America's Dining Room ... just as on NCL.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Passenger

My wife and I like to dress up for formal nights and a bit more casually for the rest. Still, as much as I enjoy the comfort of my jeans, I will not wear them to the main dining room. Dressing up somehow makes the event special. I hope Celebrity does not follow suit and keeps their policy as it is.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Passenger

With the price of some jeans I can understand allowing them in the dining room BUT no torn and tattered ones!!!
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Admiral

I personally like to dress up, and I couldnt care less what other people do
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfthuis
I personally like to dress up, and I couldnt care less what other people do
I agree wholeheartedly! If people can show up in formal dresses with flip-flops, why not jeans on casual nights? One can be either neat or sloppy in any form of dress. Such as guys who wear suits with their shirt-tail out and an uncinched tie that appears to have been tied by a kindergartner. I think they're called "movie stars".
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

"I personally like to dress up, and I couldnt care less what other people do."

I thought I shared that sentiment, until my last cruise (not HAL). One of my tablemates waited until the maitre d' was distracted, and slipped into the DR wearing cargo shorts, safari hat, sandals, and t-shirt. Everyone else at our table and surrounding tables was in formal attire.

For me personally, it took away from the atmosphere and ambience of formal night.

Shelby
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to scamper

It does take away from the ambience! Would you go to a wedding or a funeral in a tanktop and flip-flops? Why should respecting a request for a certain amount of deportment be any different?

Frankly, if people can't be respectful of the dresscode then perhaps they should choose another line or vacation venue. There are plenty of other options out there, including Club Med and Windjammer, where you can wear whatever you like...go to dinner in jeans or shorts and tee shirts or whatever.

I respect that people are on their vacation and want to be comfortable, but there are other people to consider besides themselves. Flame away, but this is how I feel and my mind won't be changed.
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
First Mate

Scamper, Very well said and I agree with your comments 100%.If they do not want to dress for dinner hit the lido for the buffet.Am tired of hearing the comment that I paid the same amt as you did and i will dress however I want.If the majority of cruisers want casual am sure the cruise lines will go to this type dining however I ran a survey on this lineover a year ago and the results were very much in favor of keeping the formal nights with the women even more so.Once you take away the elegance of fine dining you have lost a very large part of what cruising is all about.
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
If they do not want to dress for dinner hit the lido for the buffet.Am tired of hearing the comment that I paid the same amt as you did and i will dress however I want.
I agree. I think there needs to be a clear distinction made between people who don't follow the dress code and those that do. Wearing cargo shorts on formal night is not in compliance to the dress code! Jeans on casual nights is in compliance to the dress code.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: jeans are allow in dining room

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
Hate to break this to you, but on our Amsterdam cruise last fall jeans were allowed both the first and last night. You can be sure what is coming......

NIta
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

I was very surprise when I SAW posted some where else!! ON THE NET

From the ready-to-wear department:
Norwegian Cruise Line got a lot of attention when they announced that their policy now officially allows jeans to be worn for dinner in the dining room. We thought they were the only ones officially allowing it - until we checked as part of CND article we were writing for today's issue. Frankly, we were surprised at the lines that say jeans are ok. Here's a list for quick reference:

Updated Aug 10, 2007:

Azamara - no jeans
Carnival - jeans are ok but not encouraged
Celebrity - no jeans
Costa - jeans are ok except on formal nights
Crystal - jeans ok on casual nights, not formal or informal nights
Cunard - no jeans
Disney - jeans ok except on formal and certain theme nights and never ok in Palo's
Holland America - jeans are ok except on formal nights
MSC Cruises - no jeans
Norwegian Cruise Line - jeans are ok
Princess - jeans are ok except on formal nights
Royal Caribbean - jeans are ok except on formal nights
Seabourn - jeans are ok except on formal nights
Silversea - jeans are ok except on formal nights
All of the lines require the jeans to be neat, clean and presentable, and they cannot have holes or tears. Many lines also had some wording in their policies about being neat and clean. Remember too, that this survey was about dinner in the main dining room. All lines indicated jeans were ok during the daytime.

The information was verified by each line's official spokesperson, but is subject to change.
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Passenger

Too funny. I posted a link to this on a different board. The results are surprising. Who knew?
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

I guess next time I better bring a pair of jeans with me, I don't want to look different
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to kitkat07

On the Jeans issue! I talked to Westerdam and they tell me that NO Jeans
are allowed in the formal dining room at any time! Has to be slacks and buttoned collared shirts for men and nice slacks or skirts for ladies.
I just talked to them as we are going in Nov 07 and have several young people with us and they wear jeans.
So dont know what they would do if you show up in jeans in formal dining room.
Kitkat
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat07
On the Jeans issue! I talked to Westerdam and they tell me that NO Jeans
are allowed in the formal dining room at any time! Has to be slacks and buttoned collared shirts for men and nice slacks or skirts for ladies.
I just talked to them as we are going in Nov 07 and have several young people with us and they wear jeans.
Kitkat
I sailed on HAL last December and people were wearing jeans on casual night in the dining room. On the daily program it lists the dress code for the evening, and when it was casual night, it said "no tank tops or shorts." Jeans were not mentioned as being prohibited.

I recall reading about this at various cruise-related sites this past year, too. Pretty much everyone agreed that HAL had changed the dress code and is allowing jeans in the dining room.
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat07
On the Jeans issue! I talked to Westerdam and they tell me that NO Jeans are allowed in the formal dining room at any time! Has to be slacks and buttoned collared shirts for men and nice slacks or skirts for ladies.
You pose a good point and question. HAL's primary problem in the Dress Code department is their inconsistency in its enforcement. Sometimes the code is strictly enforced, sometimes it is ignored, and sometimes the staff don't even know what the Code currently states.

My advice would be: abide by the code. If there is any reason to suspect that a grey area in the code could go against you, don't dress into the "grey zone." Relative to Jeans, they are NOT prohibited by the code anymore, but some staff may not realize this fact. It may just be easier for you to encourage everyone to dress "Smart Casual" ... which, frankly, doesn't include jeans. Yes, jeans are permitted on "Smart Casual Night," but they are NOT within the nominally accepted definition of "Smart Casual" attire. So, stress the fun of "dressing up" to the "Smart Casual" standard, NOT the "minimum" of what the line "allows." If they do this, there won't be any worries about what will happen if the Staff stops you from entering due to your state of dress.

On the flip side, the simple fact is that I've never seen anyone turned away on Casual nights for dressing in jeans.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012