Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Default Upper Promenade Deck

Anyone familiar with the upper promenade deck on the Zuiderdam?
Specifically, we have VD4163 for a 17 day Panama Canal cruise from LA Harbor to Ft. Lauderdale in October, and we're wondering about the balcony on this deck. Does it have the solid steel railing? Is this a good room choice? What about being on the same deck as the lifeboats? Sailed same ship earlier this year on Alaska's Inside Passage, VA5183, and we loved that location.

Any advice for this Panama Canal cruise, excursions, what to watch for, etc?

Thanks for your input!

MR
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Seeing as the lifeboats aren't in front of your cabin, I can't see what difference it makes if your cabin is on the same deck. They won't obstruct your view.

Don't know if VD 4163 has the steel railings or not.

To me it's a good location, because I like to be near the back of the ship - close to the elevator to take you up to the Lido.

Re the Canal - make sure you take lots of sun tan lotion and wear a hat and cool clothing when you are outside. It's very, very HOT, HOT, HOT.

Make sure you are outside or on your balcony as you go through the locks or if it too hot for you, the Crow's Nest is a great place to watch the transit - it's an amazing sight.

Don't know which ports you are visiting, so can't help you there. If you list them then I am sure someone will be able to help you.

Have fun!
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Upper Promenade Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrum48
Anyone familiar with the upper promenade deck on the Zuiderdam?
Specifically, we have VD4163 for a 17 day Panama Canal cruise from LA Harbor to Ft. Lauderdale in October, and we're wondering about the balcony on this deck. Does it have the solid steel railing? Is this a good room choice? What about being on the same deck as the lifeboats? Sailed same ship earlier this year on Alaska's Inside Passage, VA5183, and we loved that location.

Any advice for this Panama Canal cruise, excursions, what to watch for, etc?

Thanks for your input!

MR
We did the Panama Canal ( Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale) in Sept/Oct 06.

It was great trip and our first cruise. We found the best view is on the

bow as we entered from the Pacific and any other vantage during the

actual transit.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Beginner

Default white space aft inside

Can anyone tell me what is contained within the large white space farthest aft on the Oosterdam Upper Promenade Deck? It abuts inside cabin 4168 and I am wondering about noise and disturbance issues.
Many thanks!
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: white space aft inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligansisland
Can anyone tell me what is contained within the large white space farthest aft on the Oosterdam Upper Promenade Deck? It abuts inside cabin 4168 and I am wondering about noise and disturbance issues.
Many thanks!
I would suspect that is where the exhaust lines from the diesels go to very top.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess