Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default Laundry on Ryndam

Does the Ryndam have self serve laundry facilities or a prepaid laundry bag system?

We're going on a 30 day round trip from San Diego January '08 and will certainly need to do laundry and probably even dry cleaning.

Anyone out there who has recently sailed on the Ryndam? I saw mentioned a $45 per bag but I wonder if that was for a longer trip?

Ruth
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM
First Mate

It's been awhile since we were on the Ryndam, but back then, they did have self-laundry on each deck.
Not sure about "dry" cleaning, but they had ships laundry service. I am sure that it was not $45.00 a bag, but don't know now.
If you look at the ship's reviews, or ship's ammenities, on Cruise Mates, or HAL website, it should tell you.
Also, you can call HAL directly and they can tell you.
Wow~~30 day cruise !
What fun.

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

All HAL ships besides the 4 Vista class ships have self service laundries. So yes, the Ryndam has laundromats.

Shelby
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks for Laundry Updates

Thanks to both Sassyredhat and Shelby for your prompt replies to my questions.

In the grand scheme of things I could simply 'wait and see,' but I will search again their web site. With the new weight limitations on flights I sure couldn't pack enough for thirty days. My husband's kilt and stuff with use up a good portion of our allowance.

This will be a first for us with so many days at sea -- six in a row returning directly from French Polynesia.

Ship board life better be all HAL seems to promise.

RUth
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM
First Mate

believe me, everything will be as hal promises! there are self-service laundries (check deck plans in your brochures to locate them) and there is laundry/dry cleaning service -- check your info when you board the ship; it should be right there in your cabin on the desk.
First Mate

Ruth, we thoroughly enjoy HAL,and always find enough to do~~ or~~ not to do.
Don't worry, you will love this cruise.
Just relax and get ready for fun !!

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
First Mate

believe me, everything will be as hal promises! there are self-service laundries (check deck plans in your brochures to locate them) and there is laundry/dry cleaning service -- check your info when you board the ship; it should be right there in your cabin on the desk.
Old September 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks again Sassyredhat and Hombre,

Imagine fussing about laundry with a 30 day cruise in the offing. This is a special gift from my husband of 42 years. We'd planned to fulfill his lifelong dream of visiting India and the more travel literature I read the more I realized why India and its overt poverty was never one of my dream trips. When this HAL offer of a 30 day cruise, with a cabin in steerage costing less than 28 days touring India arrived, he offered to forego his dream vacation. With so many sea days it will be a test of our love of cruising which to date is minimal.

With cruise lines now offering more exotic destinations, other than in their world voyages, we may yet get to visit India from the safety of an air conditioned cruise bus on one of the more modestly priced lines.

Ruth
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Laundry on Ryndam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice Senior
Does the Ryndam have self serve laundry facilities or a prepaid laundry bag system?
I did this cruise in 2006, though not on the Ryndam. Every HAL ship with the exception of the Vista ships (and I would imagine the new Signature class ones) have self-service laundries available. Of course, the machines take quarters and you can change bills at the purser's desk.

There is also the option for a prepaid laundry package where you just put your dirty laundry in a bag and the ship's laundry personnel do it for you. You can either get a prepaid package for unlimited washing for the entire cruise, or you can pay as you go by doing the "laundry by the bag" deal. Basically, there is a flat price for all the laundry you can stuff into the bag. I think on the Veendam this past April it was something like $13. Believe me, if you roll stuff tightly, you can get an awful lot into that bag, so I think it's the better deal.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Kryos for firsthand and practical advice. I'm pleased I won't have to wait around in laundry rooms -- the baggie deal sounds just great. There's no was I could pack for 30 days without having to do some laundry.

Ruth
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks Kryos for firsthand and practical advice. I'm pleased I won't have to wait around in laundry rooms -- the baggie deal sounds just great. There's no was I could pack for 30 days without having to do some laundry.

Ruth
I'll tell you a little secret, Ruth. I'm very spoiled. I live with my 94 year old dad who actually likes doing stuff like laundry to keep busy on the weekends. I haven't done a load of laundry at home in the six years we've been living together. So, I find it very difficult to visit the laundry room on a ship. I prefer to just spend the money and let the ship's laundry personnel do it for me.

All you have to do if you're gonna go with Laundry by the Bag is fill the bag and place it on your bed before you go to breakfast or dinner. There will be a form to fill out, so just put that on top of the bag. Your room steward will take it from there. Usually it takes a maximum of 36 or so hours to get it back. I've gotten my laundry back on some occasions by the next morning ... putting it out before going to dinner the night before. It just depends how backed up the laundry room is. Of course, if you need something taken care of in a hurry, you can send that out separately and pay for expedited service. I think if you send it out in the morning expedited, you get it back before dinnertime.

You're gonna have the most awesome cruise imaginable. I only wish I could have joined you again this year. I did the cruise in January of 2006 on the Amsterdam ... and it was the closest thing to heaven that I can imagine on this earth.

Blue skies!

--rita
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Rita, for the postive mention of your experiences on this cruise. We're relatively new to cruising -- our first 41 years ago when it was cheaper to sail from Vancouver to Australia than to fly. Of course the P&O ship was basic compared with today's luxury liners but we still loved it.

After many great trips around the world on our own I'm ready for a bit of pampering without the stresses of language barriers. My husband has taken speaking"______" for tourists many times and fractured many languages over the years.

Our most recent cruise was around the Horn on a Celebrity ship and I loved every minute. It was our r and r between two weeks on our own in Peru and Chile precruise and almost two weeks post cruise in Argentina and Brazil.

This will test our love of cruising -- only two real destinations and lots of sea time.

I know this questions belongs in another section, but I suspect you Rita could offer some sound and recent advice.

What are the 'can't miss' ship land tours in Hawaii and French Polynesia?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth -- awaiting to escape an approaching Cdn. winter
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I know this questions belongs in another section, but I suspect you Rita could offer some sound and recent advice.

You definitely want to do the motu picnic on Moorea. It's a don't miss. They bring you over to the motu by motor launch. Once there, you have time for some snorkling (all gear is provided) and you can snorkle with a bunch of docile stingrays. There are also a plethora of colorful fish. Another hint ... buy a disposable underwater camera. You'll get some wonderful shots.

Then on Oahu, either the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center or the Circle Island tour are good ones. I did the Circle Island, which did stop at the Polynesian Cultural Center for lunch, but the short stop there did not allow us time to go into all the villages. A full day there might be a neat time. You will be in Oahu overnight, so you actually will probably have time to do both, if you wanted to. I couldn't because I set up my own excursion for day one in Oahu ... skydiving!

For Maui, we did the combination whale watch and snorkle tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation. It was a great tour ... including lunch served on the boat. We saw whales breaching about 50 feet from the boat. It was absolutely awesome. In fact, our guide told us we were very lucky to have seen that because normally the boats can't get that close to the whales. But, if the whales come to the boat, then it's okay. He said that normally the whales wouldn't get so close, so this occurrence was unusual.

After the whale watch tour, we then got to snorkle for an hour or so. It was absolutely wonderful. The Pacific Whale Foundation truly makes an effort to educate people about marine life and how to protect it. Their passion for their mission shows, and that's why I consider that to be my best snorkling trip of the entire cruise. In fact, after the tour was over, I'd bet 75% of the people who were on it made the trek to the Pacific Whale Founcation's store to buy some items. The profits on anything bought in their store goes into the furtherence of their mission ... a very worthwhile cause.

If you're a certified SCUBA diver, then you don't want to miss making a dive in one of the French Polynesian islands. You'll see sea life that you can see nowhere else.

As for the sea days on this cruise, do not worry about them. Yes, there are a lot, but you will quickly discover that the ship falls into its own rhythm and those sea days go by very quickly. The cruise director's staff will have a lot of special activities going on ... things you don't usually get on other cruises. You'll have special events in the dining room, as well as lots of trivia contests, games, etc. Believe me, those sea days will just fly by. Also, the way this cruise is structured ... with extended periods on land followed by multiple sea days, you'll gladly embrace those sea days to relax after spending the past five or six days running around in ports.

Like I said, you're in for the experience of a lifetime and I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. I was originally supposed to be on this cruise too, but due to changes in my work situation, and my need to go back to school for some retraining, I had to cancel this. But believe me, I will do it another year ... just as soon as my schedule allows.

Blue skies!

--rita
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:

You definitely want to do the motu picnic on Moorea. It's a don't miss. They bring you over to the motu by motor launch. Once there, you have time for some snorkling (all gear is provided) and you can snorkle with a bunch of docile stingrays. There are also a plethora of colorful fish. Another hint ... buy a disposable underwater camera. You'll get some wonderful shots. After snorkling they will serve you a wonderful lunch. You sit around enjoying the atmosphere and the people in what has to be a little slice of heaven right here on earth. You won't want to leave that paradise at the end of the day.

Then on Oahu, either the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center or the Circle Island tour are good ones. I did the Circle Island, which did stop at the Polynesian Cultural Center for lunch, but the short stop there did not allow us time to go into all the villages. A full day there might be a neat time. You will be in Oahu overnight, so you actually will probably have time to do both, if you wanted to. I couldn't because I set up my own excursion for day one in Oahu ... skydiving!

For Maui, we did the combination whale watch and snorkle tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation. It was a great tour ... including lunch served on the boat. We saw whales breaching about 50 feet from the boat. It was absolutely awesome. In fact, our guide told us we were very lucky to have seen that because normally the boats can't get that close to the whales. But, if the whales come to the boat, then it's okay. He said that normally the whales wouldn't get so close, so this occurrence was unusual.

After the whale watch tour, we then got to snorkle for an hour or so. It was absolutely wonderful. The Pacific Whale Foundation truly makes an effort to educate people about marine life and how to protect it. Their passion for their mission shows, and that's why I consider that to be my best snorkling trip of the entire cruise. In fact, after the tour was over, I'd bet 75% of the people who were on it made the trek to the Pacific Whale Founcation's store to buy some items. The profits on anything bought in their store goes into the furtherence of their mission ... a very worthwhile cause.

If you're a certified SCUBA diver, then you don't want to miss making a dive in one of the French Polynesian islands. You'll see sea life that you can see nowhere else.

As for the sea days on this cruise, do not worry about them. Yes, there are a lot, but you will quickly discover that the ship falls into its own rhythm and those sea days go by very quickly. The cruise director's staff will have a lot of special activities going on ... things you don't usually get on other cruises. You'll have special events in the dining room, as well as lots of trivia contests, games, etc. Believe me, those sea days will just fly by. Also, the way this cruise is structured ... with extended periods on land followed by multiple sea days, you'll gladly embrace those sea days to relax after spending the past five or six days running around in ports.

Like I said, you're in for the experience of a lifetime and I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. I was originally supposed to be on this cruise too, but due to changes in my work situation, and my need to go back to school for some retraining, I had to cancel this. But believe me, I will do it another year ... just as soon as my schedule allows.

Blue skies!

--rita
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you so much Rita, for such a thorough and informative reply. I just hope that one of the more technically savy moderators will move it to a more appropriate category as it appears under Laundry on Ryndam. (I just lost my first note of thanks when I tried to edit out spelling errors, so I'm not the one.) It would be a shame if others couldn't also benefit from you thoughtfulness.

I'm keeping a Word file for this trip and have cut and pasted every word of yours so it will be available when we choose tours, a bit closer to sailing time.

I was encouraged to read also that there might be new or a greater variety of activities on those sea days. We aren't interested in the usual rounds of games offered on our few cruises to date. My husband is hoping a chess tournament might be organized but he'll bring along his electronic game just in case.

Again thanks so much and I hope you're able to ace all the retraining courses,

Ruth
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Beginner

Just returned from an Oct. 11th Ryndam sailing. The laundry facility were good. We were on a 10-day cruise and the 50lb. weight limit on suitcases caused us to pack lightly. We did a load of wash (big load) for $2.00 and $2.00 to dry it. It worked great. They also have an ironing board and iron in the laundry area.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks

Thanks polish momma for posting such a current update. It's good to know that there's such an inexpensive option to having laundry done professionally.

For the first time ever we've decided to bring along 3 suitcases which can weigh up to 23 kg. each. But on our 30 day cruise I'll still need to wash.

Again, thanks for the posting. I suspect others too will appreciate your thoughtfulness.