Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Beginner

Default What is the most important think you forgot to pack.

Ok, maybe this one can get me some good insight. What is the most important thing you have forgotten to pack on your cruise. I just know I have left something crucial off my packing list. How about some input.
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sando:

In my early days of cruising I became so involved in making sure that I had "everything": Formal wear, power strip, duct tape, bathing suits, camera, batteries, charger, binoculars, sunscreen, hat, etc. etc. etc. that I forgot one major thing.

We were about ten minutes away from home, on our way to the airport and I asked my wife to check the flight time. She asked where the travel wallet was. I suddenly remembered that it was setting on the dinette table. U-TURN!

Without that we wouldn't have had our documents, luggage tags, flight information, extra credit card or passports.

Don't let the "packing forrest obstruct the trees".

Have a fantastic cruise and make sure the important stuff comes before the incidentals.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What is the most important think you forgot to pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sando
Ok, maybe this one can get me some good insight. What is the most important thing you have forgotten to pack on your cruise. I just know I have left something crucial off my packing list. How about some input.
Extra Strength Tylenol. I always grab a few packets of them and stick them into my carryon. I like to have them in case I get a headache. Forgot them on one trip and wound up spending a mint for some at the airport when I got a real headbanger after dealing with TSA.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

What exactly is a power strip suitable for cruising? I've seen mention of one in several posts. The ones we use at home seem rather big and awkward for packing. I've never seen any in the travel trinket sections of our travel supply stores, and we have some good here ones up north. Why would we need one? I guess I need to understand why one should be on my 'must have' list?

After many land based trips around the world on our own we weren't even going to bring our extensive supply of plug adaptors. Right planning? And there's not need to replace my ancient travel curling iron for an international one either?

From Ontarion Canada,
Ruth
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You can purchase a small three or four outlet power strip at most electronic stores. They are small and work great if you have digital cameras that require battery charging, plus a hair dryer, laptop, camcorder or other electronics that may be needed at one time.

If you do need a power converter, for International Travel, you can use on converter plug and then plug the power strip into the converter and then have three 120 V plugs to use.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike, guess I'll just 'have' to go shopping as we do have both camera batteries to recharge and a laptop, so such a bar just could come in handy.

Ruth
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Nothing

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Question Formal On Neiuw Amsterdam

We are cursing on Neiuw Amsterdam to Caribbean, this November. Has anyone cruised on this ship yet? If so, can you describe what most people were wearing for formal night?
Old September 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Great question, once we waited until the last minute to pack, and I forgot my meds, that I take daily (high blood pressure). Thanks to the onboard doctor, he was able to supply me with enough meds until I returned home. Make a list and check it twice.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

On one trip with my girlfriends, a short 5-day western Caribbean, I made photocopies of my passport and driver's license. Well, we got to the port in Miami and where do you suppose my originals were? In the printer!!! This after checking with everyone else that they had their documents in order. I was lucky that we were only going for a short trip and I did have the copies with me. The personnel at the desk were most accommodating. I don't think that would happen today.
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Admiral

Underwear ! One year I forgot to pack any underwear .:o

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default Passports!

Several years ago, my wife and I were driving friends and their infant daughter from Jerusalem to Ben Gurion airport for their trip to USA for vacation. We were just about 5-miles from the airport, when they asked each other "Do you have the Passports?" NO! I then doubled back to Jerusalem, so they could retrive them from the dresser top. I really raced. They arrived quite late, but Israeli security did let them through.

On another occasion in Jordan, I arrived at the Treasury at Petra. Tried to take a picture. The camera battery was dead! (built-in special battery!). But there were several little Arab stands. Guess what? One of them had the exact battery for my Minolta. From then on, I always checked that I had extra batteries, film, etc. Also, my checklist includes all my meds.

PapaBear