Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Default Zuiderdam to Venice

We are booked on the Zuiderdam for Venice to Barcelona July of next year. It is called the Mediterranean Romance 12 day cruise. We will be in Venice 2 days, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Argostoli, Santorini, Catania, Naples, Livorno and Barcelona for 2 days.
Has anyone taken this cruise if so can you answers some questions:
Which ports do we have to tender.
Which ports can we walk to the main sights?
Which excursions did you take in each port and how much did they cost?
What did you do in Venice? Can you go it alone there?
Did you go to the Sistine Chapel, if so was it hard to get to and was it crowded?
We just don't know what we want to do but the excursions that our TA gave us are all private and really expensive.
Thanks for your help!
Crystal
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Hi Crystal. We are on that same cruise. I am in the info gathering process but we have traveled to some of the cities previously. Thus far, I have found:
- we tinder in Croatia- I don't think so on the others but not positive.
- still looking into ports/ excursions. There is tons of info out there. You can go to www.cruise-chat.com and type in your port. It gives tons of tips (this sight may too...haven't looked enough).
- on the excursions we were considering, found them to be about same price as what I could find over the internet. Big exception is a car service-much cheaper on your own.
- have not arrived in Venice on a cruise ship but it is very easy to do on your own. Last time we visited, we booked our gondola ride through the local amex office for much lower price- tip...bring some wine, cups and chocolate with you. It was awesome...we did it early evening and had a blast.
- have been to Rome/ Vatican in July before. It is crowded...Vatican takes a full day, and we are quick. I have not looked into advance tickets but that would be the way to go. Last time we visited (in May of 06), we waited one hour to get into the museum. There were tons of cruise ship tours in the line with us. It will be crowded, but it is amazing.

Let me know if you find anything else.

PS
We are traveling with our two children so will be packing a couple of Caprisuns with our wine for the gondola ride!
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
We will be in Venice 2 days,
it depends on how strong your legs are, but you can definitely walk to the city and walk all over it. I have walked from a ship (HAL Westerdam, actually) all the way to St Mark's SQ and back within a few hours.

Quote:
Corfu
Most likely you will be docking, and you will be at the largest city on the island. I don't know about walking, but a short taxi ride will get you to the city center.

Quote:
Dubrovnik
as I recall, you need to take a shuttle bus to the main town, the ship will dock a distance away, but once there the city itself is small enopugh to explore on foot.

Quote:
Argostoli
- Don't know

Quote:
Santorini
You will tender. Once onshore you should take the cable car to Fira, the town atop the hill (not cheap, I think 5 euros pp each way?) but once up there you can explore by foot. Look for the museum of Santorini to see original mosaics from the Akotiri civilization.

Quote:
Catania,
- don't know

Quote:
Naples
you should dock, but I am not sure what is close to the ship. Best bet is to take a shore excursion to Pompeii

Quote:
Livorno
- you will dock. You can get a taxi to the train station to get to Florencee and Pisa. Start early.

Quote:
Barcelona
you will dock, but city center is a LONG walk - take the cruise line shuttle or a taxi. A city tour is recommended to see the best stuff. If you are good at reading foreign subway maps you can see the sites on your own. See anything by Gaudi, especially the chapel Sagrada Familia

Quote:
Did you go to the Sistine Chapel, if so was it hard to get to and was it crowded?
That is near Rome - Vatican City. yes, it is crowded, and it will take a long to get to from your ports.

We just don't know what we want to do but the excursions that our TA gave us are all private and really expensive.
Thanks for your help!