Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Default Upgraded! Wow!

We booked an inside room with a guarantee and I got a call from our TA with our confirmed booking.

We're now in a Veranda Deck room! Wow!!! Our TA said it's like winning the lottery as they've never heard of such an upgrade before. He asked the HAL rep to double check and confirm and it's a done deal!

Wow! (did I mention WOW??) We're in the centre of the ship, about 3 rooms from the elevators which will be awesome for my elderly mother.

Now, all this being said.....what on earth does no-host mini bar mean?

Can you tell I've never done this before?? I feel like a little kid at Christmas!

BTW, we're leaving on Saturday!
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:21 PM
First Mate

Congratulations!!! I don't have experience with Holland (yet) but my father-in-law got bumped from an inside to a balcony on Princess. He too was very excited!

Hope you have an awesome trip!

p.s. there's no hope for you now...you'll be hooked!
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Captain

Comgratulations....

You didn't say which ship.
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Ooops! Forgot the name of the ship....I told you I was excited!

It's the Zuiderdam....will that make a difference?
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks nana! I can't wait to sit outside as we go through the canal. It'll be easier for my mother rather than having to see if she can take the strain of standing at a railing for the trip through the locks.

And it's funny, but as much as I say this is my first and last cruise, I DO have a feeling you're right and I'll end up hooked!
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Admiral

CONGRATULATIONS - that sure is an upgrade. Having your own verandah will be great for your Mom, as it's extremely hot and humid going through the Canal and this way she can just pop back into the cabin to cool off. Don't forget the sun tan lotion, even when you are sitting on the verandah. If it happens to be overcast, still use it as you can get quite a burn even on a cloudy day. Our last canal trip, was overcast most of the day and it did make it easier to sit outside.

No Host Bar means, you use it, you pay for it. There will be a small fridge in your room filled with bottled water, beer, pop, wine, candy, etc. It is checked once a day by someone from the bar staff and if you use anything they will leave you a bar slip. If you want to put your own stuff in there, just ask the cabin steward to remove the contents.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy yourselves.

Yes, you will book another cruise after this one, in fact you may even book one while on board. When you return let us know how much you enjoyed our first cruise.
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Congratulations on your cruise and especially the upgrade! That is fantastic! You and your mom will have a wonderful time. You will come back with such great memories!

Please come back and give us your review/impressions of the ship! My next cruise will be on the Zuiderdam, so leave her in good shape for me! Bon Voyage!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Congrats !! You really did win the lottery. You must live right!
ENJOY!!!
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone!

It's getting SO close to departure time and it's hard to keep both feet on the ground at work. Thank goodness my bosses are understanding and don't get uptight about the fact that I'm so incredibly distracted this week! I work til noon tomorrow then come home and make sure we're all ready to go.

I'll be back the third week in October and I'll definitely let you know how it went and just how much damage we did!
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The "Z" is a beautiful ship,and how lucky you are, to get that upgrade. Come back and share your cruise with us, Bon Voyage!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 30th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Only1Cruise,
You must live life right.
Next time you're on the off ramp and see the guy with a sign...toss him a buck.

Glad for you.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just got off the Zuiderdam about 5 hours ago,,if there is anything i can remember and help you with, let me know.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am about to book a cruise in Feb on Zuiderdam. Should we book thru Holland America or go to Expedia or Orbitz or a TA or what? We need to book tomorrow.

Also, the website says the dining rooms are closed or waitlist. Can we be sure we'll get a table? We will have three cabins with 6 people. We need advice.

I've cruised 4 times before but not with Holland.
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Congrats on your awesome upgrade.
Enjoy!!!!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Default Back to give a quick report on our trip!

Well, the cruise was amazing! Got home late Saturday night - 21 days, no problems, fun crew and the sunshine was incredible (so was the humidity, but that's a whole 'nother story!)

4 days into it, my mother looked at me and said we have to do at least a 2 week cruise each year! Hahaha! You called it right! We loved it and if we could have just continued on we would have. I can't wait to pay off this cruise and head out on another one!

The thing that boggles my mind the most is HOW ON EARTH do the crew members remember the names of SO MANY people??? Heck, I had trouble remembering my own name half the time!

The only thing that was extremely difficult was the journey home. We left from Ft Lauderdale, easy as pie, and had a transfer in Montreal to get to Vancouver. That was the most horrible and horrifying experience I've ever had and I have traveled a lot in the past. To reward ourselves for surviving that horrendous experience, we took a white stretch limo home from the airport! Take THAT!

Seriously, next time we will fly to the departure destination the day prior and cruise home to Vancouver. We learned a hard lesson. It took the bloom off what was truly an adventure.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Welcome home! You can't really describe "being on a cruise" to someone that has never experienced it, can you? It is the most relaxing vacation!

I will be sailing the Zuiderdam on December 1 -- what were you impressions of the ship? What did you enjoy most while onboard?

Oh, and didn't you love having a verandah!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Darlene, thanks for the welcome home!

The Zuiderdam, from what I heard, will be going into drydock for a refit soon, so take that as a bit of a warning. The main parts of the ship are lovely! Of course, I don't have any other cruiseship experience to compare it to....I just remember feeling overwhelmed by the sheer grandiosity of the thing!

The cabin we had, while totally comfortable and functional to a fault, was a bit worn-feeling. The flusher button for the toilet was a hit and miss thing, which was frustrating for my poor elderly mother! She'd come out and give me a heavy sigh and say "okay, I've tried my best, you're going to have to come and do this for me!"

Another issue for my mom was the European style shower. The left (hot) handle turns on the water and the right (cold) sets the temperature. I had to start the shower for mom each morning. That being said, there was PLENTY of hot water and the shower head is a massage one. The medicine cabinet is larger than the one I have at home!

Storage in the cabin was surprising. I had expected a tight squeeze, and we'd brought clothes for 3 weeks. No trouble fitting anything and some drawers were actually empty.

What I enjoyed was the ability to decompress. I'd never been away from work for that long in a row and this was amazing. There are SO MANY places to go onboard that are peaceful and tranquil during the day (the Crow's Nest comes to mind). I loved going up to the 10th floor and lounging on the teak chairs there. You can even get up to the 11th floor where there are some of the regular lounge chairs available.

The food was okay. I was disappointed in the quality of their sushi, but did still eat it. I didn't go to our assigned time in the dining room much as I wanted to get away from regimented things....I'm on vacation after all! We did go twice and the ambiance was great. Our table mates were lovely and although we didn't dine with them nightly, we DID have plenty of breakfasts and lunches together in the Lido during our three weeks.

I hope I answered your question somewhere in here! If you have anything specific you want to know, ask and I'll do my best to give you a decent opinion!
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about "first impressions" of that first cruise. I understand normal wear and tear that the ships will have before going into drydock. Most of the ships I have cruised have been older ships and I haven't been disappointed yet.
Mariner of the Seas

Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Thank you for coming back to report on your cruise. It was nice hearing your impressons. I hope you enjoy many more cruises!
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I may I lso got upgraded from an inside via an oceanview to a balcony on the Noordam, and it was my first cruise with them, and definitely not the last
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision
Vision
Eurodam
Regal Princess
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfleo
I may I lso got upgraded from an inside via an oceanview to a balcony on the Noordam, and it was my first cruise with them, and definitely not the last
... my lord, what am I doing wrong, then?

I have never in my life received a wonderful upgrade like this ... and I've several Holland America cruises under my belt.

Congratulations on the nice upgrade!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Default Upgraded as well!

My DH and I booked a Guat. Vh cat. on last weeks Zuiderdame cruise. We were so happy to hear we had been upgraded to a superior veranda suite at check in...HAL is awesome it pays to be a dedicated customer!
Celebrity Century 3/06
HAL ZUiderdam 10/05