Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default Question about pools on the Zuiderdam

Do the pools on most HAL ships get as crowded as others? I'm thinking there will be fewer children, especially since I'm going the 2 week of November.

Also, is there a difference crowd-wise between the Lido deck pool and the aft pool? Just wondering which place I should head to during our at sea days. I'm more interested in reading by the pool, with an occasional quick dip to cool off. I'm guessing the pools aren't quite big enough to really swim.

Thanks!

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Admiral

We prefer the aft pool as it's not as noisy and the pool is rarely crowded.

When there are kids on board the pool under the dome is crowded as this is where they are supposed to swim. The daily program asks that the aft pool be for adults only, but you will find a few kids there, especially if that is where their folks are sitting.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just got off the Zuiderdam 2 weeks ago. Did a coastal cruise from Vancouver to Los Angeles. The weather was bad for the first 2 days so the Lido had the roof closed and the place was jammed, not with just people wanting to use the pool but just people wantint to be outside without being outside. The last day at sea was beautiful so the roof was open. One thing is at lunch time the buffett is pretty crowded so many try to eat at the grill or eat by the pool because it is easier to find a seat then it is inside,,except for that day. There were so many people in the pool area it was pretty hard to find a spot (sort of like driving around the mall's parking lot looking for a space). I was wondering though for a ship with 1900 people where everyone was, surely not all were sitting by the pool (some had to be in the dining room). After lunch we went by the aft pool and I found them. No seats to be had anywhere. Kids where mostly out there too, perhaps because the kids HAL room opened up to the deck with the pool. I did wonder why there were so many kids on a fall cruise, but there were a lot.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info everyone. Wonder why so many kids weren't in school - I don't think there are many holidays in September. (maybe rosh hashana?)

Having the kids room open to the deck with the aft poll is probably not a great design idea if that's supposed to be more for adults. lol Thanks for the heads up about lunchtime.

Changes in latitude, changes in attitude....