CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Westerdam - January 27, 2008 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/341376-westerdam-january-27-2008-a.html)

NORM174 October 19th, 2007 11:08 AM

Westerdam - January 27, 2008

Anyone out there on this cruise?

flyball November 5th, 2007 12:19 AM

We are on the Dec. 16, 2007 cruise. I assume it is the same ports.

lishka December 7th, 2007 02:19 AM

:D We are on this same cruise Jan 27th.
My very first time in the Caribbean...only ever been on the west coast....can't wait!!!
Have you been to HMC before? I hear it is amazing.

NORM174 December 9th, 2007 09:00 PM

WOW! It's gr8 to get an answer since I first posted in October. My husband and I took our first cruise last January and are totally hooked! We went on RCL - Western Carib. The color of the water is like nothing you have ever seen before.....We have reserved a clamshell and booked a snorkeling excursion on HMC. I got hooked on snorkeling, too! Stay in touch.

lishka December 9th, 2007 10:51 PM

Hey!
There are a bunch of us that met online and have booked the Oasis on HMC with the palm package upgrade....a bit more decadent than your clamshell....lol...we will have our own chef, lifeguard, hot tub, private bathroom.....we have 10 people and have room for a couple more...if you want more info I can email you??!!

NORM174 December 10th, 2007 09:53 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I think we're going to stay with our clamshell and snorkeling. Have you booked anything on the other islands? We're definitely going to see the California Lighthouse and of course snorkeling. :D

lishka December 10th, 2007 01:34 PM

Nothing officially booked yet....I think we will end up on Palm beach in Aruba and maybe, if I get up the courage, I may try parasailing! Apparently there are many vendors along that beach with lots of activities to chose from. As for Curacao...not sure yet.

NORM174 December 11th, 2007 03:54 PM

We parasailed in Grand Caymen. It was fantastic! I wasn't scared at all.
The ride up was very smooth and once we were high there was no sound. If you parasail be sure to give your camera to someone on the boat so they can take your picture during lift off and landing! :shock:

DeeDee December 11th, 2007 04:38 PM

NORM - where's the California Lighthouse. Never heard of that before.

There's parasailing at HMC and it looked like those doing it were having a great time. Me, I'll keep both feet on the ground, thank you. LOL

Lishka - enjoy the Grand Oassis Cabana. Friends of ours had it with a group of their friends recently and had a superb time. :D

NORM174 December 11th, 2007 07:23 PM

Hi! DeeDee:
The California Lighthouse is at the northern tip of Aruba. We're planning to rent jeeps and caravan around the island and then snorkeling. Have you ever been to the southern caribbean? 8)

DeeDee December 11th, 2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NORM174
Hi! DeeDee:
The California Lighthouse is at the northern tip of Aruba. We're planning to rent jeeps and caravan around the island and then snorkeling. Have you ever been to the southern caribbean? 8)

Too many times to count! Actually we're getting tired of the Carribbean (3 times this year), so next year we will be heading to other destinations - right now Alaska in May.

Have fun!

NORM174 December 12th, 2007 09:28 AM

We're trying something different next year, too. In June we are going on a New England/Canada cruise out of New York. We are really looking forward to it and spending 2 extra days in New York. Some day we just might get to Alaska, but we want to go through the Panama Canal first. What cruise line are you using for Alaska? :D

DeeDee December 12th, 2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

We're trying something different next year, too. In June we are going on a New England/Canada cruise out of New York. We are really looking forward to it and spending 2 extra days in New York. Some day we just might get to Alaska, but we want to go through the Panama Canal first. What cruise line are you using for Alaska? :D

We've only cruised HAL and that's been for nearly 30 years. We just have no desire to try another line.

We've been to Alaska a few times, but this will be the first time for our DD. We've done Hawaii and the full Canal transit a couple of times - you must do the Canal - it's very interesting. We've done if from LA to FLL, but some day we'll do it from FLL to Vancouver.

June will be a nice time to do Canada/NE. We did it the end of August way back on the old Westerdam. Which ship are you going on?

Dee

NORM174 December 12th, 2007 09:23 PM

Dee:
We are going on Carnival Victory to New England. We picked the cruise only because of the itinerary. We leave in June for 5 days - St. John's and Halifax are the stops. We'll spend 2 nights in NYC on our own :D
Last January we were on RCL Grandeur of the Sea shortly before it went in for rehab. We seem to be making the rounds of ships! We will definitely go all the way through the Canal when we make that trip. DH would love to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. I can't wait to plan that cruise. 8)
Ann

NORM174 December 18th, 2007 09:53 AM

Dee:
Do you have a cabin assignment yet? We have a guarantee balcony but no cabin #. The curiosity is killing me :!:

DeeDee December 18th, 2007 01:22 PM

Norm, we never take a Guarantee. We always book the cabin we want.

I know nothing about when Carnival advises you of your cabin assignemnt when you take a Guarantee, but from what I understand, with HAL you may not know until 2 weeks before your cruise and sometimes not until you arrived at the pier.

NORM174 December 18th, 2007 04:24 PM

Dee: We have a cabin assignment on Carnival - Aft balcony. It's the HAL cruise we are waiting for. We booked when they had a three day sale and our TA told us the guarantee would be good. We shall see. I'm really looking forward to a balcony. Last time we had the ocean view. Ann

DeeDee December 18th, 2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Dee: We have a cabin assignment on Carnival - Aft balcony. It's the HAL cruise we are waiting for. We booked when they had a three day sale and our TA told us the guarantee would be good. We shall see. I'm really looking forward to a balcony. Last time we had the ocean view. Ann

Ann - you'll probably hear some time the middle of January and who knows, maybe even before that.

Have a great time. Westerdam is a lovely ship. She was the first Vista ship we sailed on.

Let us know when you get your cabin assigned to you.

Happy Holidays.

NORM174 December 20th, 2007 06:48 PM

Thanks Dee:
Happy holidays to you, too! Where's your next cruise taking you? Wish more people would get on board this thread. Ann :)

joedebnh December 21st, 2007 12:20 PM

Don't forget our Meet & Greet

Just joined this board.

Want to remind all cruisers on the Westerdam 1/27/2008 that our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet will be in the Crow's Nest about 30 minutes after the Muster Drill.

If any of you have not yet signed in to the Roll Call on Cruise Critic we would welcome you.