Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Default Fuel Surcharge on Cruises after Feb 1,2008

Hal has just annouced the implementation of a fuel surcharge.

"We want to inform you that, because of rapidly escalating fuel prices, Holland America has implemented a fuel supplement of $5 per person per day. The fuel supplement, which applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom only, is not to exceed $70 per person per voyage and is effective on all new and existing bookings for voyages departing on or after February 1, 2008. Implementing this fuel surcharge was a difficult decision but one that we feel was necessary in today’s challenging economic environment."

Copied from an Email that I received from my TA about my Alaska 08 Cruise on Veendam. I understand that CCL is also going to or is already adding a fuel surcharge.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Admiral

I wonder when the price of fuel drops , will they gives us 5.00 back to us.
each day.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Do you think the price of fuel will drop?

Manuel
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Admiral

My guess is that the surcharge is permanet fact of cruising.

The reason will be that we need to cover any pass losses
and future changes.

Just like a goverment tax , always added but near removed .
Very big cash grab???????????????????

:evil:

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Familiar Face

I think you're right, it just like airline fuel-charges, they only go up. When we booked our cruise we were suprised that there was no surcharge, unfortunatly now there is. The only advantage I have is that I get paid in Euro's so the futher the USD falls, the cheaper it gets for me.
November 2010: Norwegian Jade: Western Mediterranean
January 2012: HAL Eurodam: Eastern Caribbean
May 2012 HAL: Noordam: Transatlantic Riviera

Upcomming:
HAL Westerdam: Panama Canal
Old November 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Captain

I'm surprised it took this long for the to announce an increase. I've been expecting it.

Other cruiselines are doing it including Crystal. They added a fuel surcharge a while ago.
Old November 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Default Fuel Charge

Not surprised but certainly displeased none the less. Displeased because I strongly dislike charges such as these since they are uncontrollable add on's and because they are just another way to raise the price without paying commissions to TA's and while allowing them to advertise one price while actually imposing another.

It just seems in today's world everyone is working overtime trying to figure out how to charge for something that should be a base cost of doing business. All the while they still want to advertise a cost that they know is unreasonably low. I have been cruising for 23 years 1 to 3 times a year so I get on board with a clear sense of what the sailing is costing me. Though even I can be surprised when suddenly someone is charging me for a bingo marker on top of the bingo play card. But how about new cruisers who enter with all as an unknown?

Port charges, onboard charges, mandatory daily charges tipping charges, fuel adjustments all can increase vacation costs more than considerably now. Every year cruise lines advance toward being less and less of a value when pitched against land packages. Less staff doing more work contributes to less service while higher costs sneaked in here and there.

I have my first Holland America cruise booked on Noordam in January. It appears the surcharge will not be in place for that one yet. If it was I might consider cancelling on principle. Of course I have RCL mariner scheduled in May and I am sure the monkey see - monkey do principle will put me in a position to consider such a move for that one.

And let's look at cabin pricing and description. YES your Penthouse Suite was a brrom closet last cruise and is now designated a Grand Penthouse Suite. No you don't get special boarding, concierge, or anything except you can tell your friends you have a Penthouse Suite which sounds kewl. Oh and we will give you a glass of champagne when you board. BOTTLE NO, glass fool. You want bottle you have to take New Grand Penthouse Owners Garden Aroma Suite.

Just gets you crazy after a while....
Old November 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Fuel Charge

I've heard Princess is adding a fuel surcharge too, same
date, same amount.

I have my first Holland America cruise booked on Noordam in January. It appears the surcharge will not be in place for that one yet.

I'm schedule on the Noordam in January too. I'm relieved the
surcharge doesn't go into effect until February.

Gambol
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Fuel surcharges are going to be a way of life.

Most people don't even notice all the surcharges on plane , train and ferry tickets.

On our flight to/from Orlando in Jan 08 , we are paying about 20% of the ticket in surcharges and charges. Some examples

1- 911 (security) charge
2 - Airport improvement fee for each airport ( 3 each way)
3 - fuel charges appov 50$/person /segment
4 - navigation charges

There might be more but some of those are listed on the ticket.

Ships Sailed:

Old November 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
Most people don't even notice all the surcharges on plane , train and ferry tickets.

4 - navigation charges
I think people notice them but just figure what can they do about it anyway. However as they grow they will certainly be noticed more and more. Much like hardly noticed port charges on cruise back in the day when they were $35, now that they are hundreds of dollars they stand out a bit more.

What the heck are NAVIGATION charges? That to pay for the compass so the pilot can find the airport

Pass along charges are certainly nothing new in some areas nor are other fees. look at a telephone bill where often such charges equaly 30% or more of your bill now. Often such fees are mis-represented appearing to be a government charge when they are not. FCC line charge for one.

This charge covers the costs of the local phone network. This charge may appear as “FCC Charge for Network Access,? “Federal Line Cost Charge,? “Interstate Access Charge,? “Federal Access Charge,? “Interstate Single Line Charge,? “Customer Line Charge? or “FCC-Approved Customer Line Charge.? The FCC sets the maximum allowable Federal Subscriber Line Charge. This is not a government charge or tax, and it does not end up in the U.S. treasury.

Simply a way to charge more for phone service without appearring to do so. How about a ONE BILL Charge, charge you to have all your services on one bill while they save by not sending out seperate bills for wireless and internet etc.

Imagine going into Dunkin Donuts and getting a cup of coffee similarly priced.

Coffee 1.75
Paper Cup Recycle fee .25
Milk surcharge ( ethanol production causing higher prices based on feed higher cost ) .25
Lid Charge plastic recovery .25
ABC Bean fee .50
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Navigation Fee's is what the gov or private company (Canada) charge

the airline for use of the electronic airway equipment and other services

provided to the airlines.

Ships Sailed:

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Beginner

Default Fuel Surcharge

I just paid a fuel surcharge on a recent furniture shipment, so I guess a surcharge for the cruise isn't all that unexpected.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Passenger

I just saw carnival too added the surcharge after feb 2008.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003
I just saw carnival too added the surcharge after feb 2008.
NCL just announced but 2 upped em, $7 a day.

MIAMI - November 15, 2007 - NCL Corporation announced today that it will begin assessing guests a fuel supplement in response to record high fuel prices. Effective on all new NCL and NCL America bookings made on or after December 1, 2007, the fuel supplement will be $7 per person per day for the first and second guests in a stateroom and $3 per person per day for any additional guests in the same stateroom.
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Do you think the price of fuel will drop?

Manuel
No...and the reason why it won't is very simple:
We are paying the price so why bring it down?

I saw $4.04 in SF last Thursday.
Filled my truck with diesel yesterday...$124.54
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Interesting side-note: my upcoming cruise on the Rotterdam departs January 27, 2008, just before the fuel surcharge is supposed to go into effect. So, my question was: will we have to pay it beginning Feb 1? The answer from HAL was:

"No, the wording makes it clear that the surcharge will be applied on cruises departing on or after Feb 1, 2008. You're departing before February 1st, hence it won't apply to your cruise."

True, the wording was clear enough, but sometimes HAL interprets their own wording weirdly (like "not allowed" appearing to mean "allowed."). I just wanted to make sure.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012