Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Beginner

Default HMC Cabana waitlisted

If I'm waitlisted for a cabana, do I stand any chance of actually getting it? Am I waitlisted only for that specific cabana, or will I be eligible for another if it becomes available? Booked other excursions on 10/6 and waitlisted for orange cabana at that time.
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We booked early enough not to be waitlisted, but, friends were, and they got a random cabana....We booked it as a party of 4....and had the orange cabana, which was well situated, very near the luncheon pavillion...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I'm booked on the Zuiderdam March 1st -8th. One of our stops is Half Moon Cay. I was there back in 2003. Are cabanas new? I don't remember seeing them in 2003. I'm going with my 70 year old mother. Would it be a good idea to purchase a cabana? Do they still have umbrellas that you can sit under to stay out of the sun?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Captain

There were few cabanas back in 2003 but I think there were one or two.
There now are many and they make going to the beach very comfortable.
We were just at HMC at few weeks ago and I don't recall seeing any umbrellas.

For your senior Mom, it might be a nice treat and make her day very special if you were to arrange for a cabana.

They are booked as 'excursions'. You can do it on line or call Ship's Services. 800- 541-1576
Old December 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk40
I'm booked on the Zuiderdam March 1st -8th. One of our stops is Half Moon Cay. I was there back in 2003. Are cabanas new? I don't remember seeing them in 2003. I'm going with my 70 year old mother. Would it be a good idea to purchase a cabana? Do they still have umbrellas that you can sit under to stay out of the sun?
I think they are relatively new. But what is totally new is what I refer to as the "party cabana." It costs a bundle to rent ... something like a grand ... but it holds around a dozen people (maybe more) and you can get it with or without the butler service (an additional charge). It's great for groups traveling together ... like an extended family or whatever. I think it even offers direct beach access, as well as some water ammenties, like a slide. Rental of some water toys, like floating mats, is included with the cabana too.

What do the regular cabinas cost to rent? I think a couple of hundred bucks, right?

Personally, I'd rather save my money for other things, like shore excursions at various ports of call on my itinerary. But I do have to say that I've yet to read a negative review of anyone's cabana experience.

If you're traveling with a somewhat elderly relative, the cabana could be an excellent choice for allowing them to enjoy the beach in relative comfort and privacy. Add in the butler service, and someone will go to the BBQ and get your food, bring your drinks, etc.

Could be a nice experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Beginner

Thanks to those replying to my post. I have ordered a cabana for me and my mom. I think it will make for a great day.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/.../HalCabana.cfm

Above is a link to an article I wrote in 2005 about our experience with a cabana on Half Moon Cay. We truly enjoyed the experience, and have booked one again for our stop there next month on the Zuiderdam.

They're a tad expensive, but imho, in the end worth it for that extra bit of luxury.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Captain

Everyone spends their money their own way and each decides what something is worth to them.

We have enjoyed cabanas at HMC and it is a lovely treat.
If someone does not think it worth the money, they will still have a great day at the beach at HMC.

I don't ever try to say if something is worth it to someone else....only if it is worth it to me.

Cabanas are not all that new at HMC. The number of them is relatively new. They have added more and more one can assume because of their popularity.

The large Cabana you reference, Kryos, is called The Oasis.

Kuki and "rrk" ...... Hope you have a fabulous day at HMC in your cabanas. That island is a slice of Paradise IMO

JMHO......
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Thanks Sail7Seas. I was there back in 2003 and HMC was absolutely gorgeous. It will be so nice to be there and not have to worry whether or not my mom is having a good time. I know that she will now.