Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Default Vancouver or Seattle?

We're considering another Alaskan cruise. Our first, in 2001, was an Inside Passage cruise roundtrip from Vancouver. It was fantastic. We still talk about it although we have taken several other cruises since then. Now we are considering another and are thinking of departing from Seattle since we have never been there and it may be more convenient. Because we would be going with another couple who really would have problems with a cruise/land tour, we would probably do a 7 day round trip. Would we enjoy the trip from Seattle or would we be missing something? Someone commented that we would be missing 90% of the Inside Passage if we left from Seattle. It doesn't look that way on the itinerary maps, but I'd like to be sure. (The other couple would arrive in Seattle by train rather than air, if that makes some difference.) I know from previous experience that someone has the answer! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Vancouver or Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toley
We're considering another Alaskan cruise. Our first, in 2001, was an Inside Passage cruise roundtrip from Vancouver. It was fantastic. We still talk about it although we have taken several other cruises since then. Now we are considering another and are thinking of departing from Seattle since we have never been there and it may be more convenient. Because we would be going with another couple who really would have problems with a cruise/land tour, we would probably do a 7 day round trip. Would we enjoy the trip from Seattle or would we be missing something? Someone commented that we would be missing 90% of the Inside Passage if we left from Seattle. It doesn't look that way on the itinerary maps, but I'd like to be sure. (The other couple would arrive in Seattle by train rather than air, if that makes some difference.) I know from previous experience that someone has the answer! Thanks.
Some but not all cruises round trip Seattle usually cruise on the west side of Vancouver Island. This is the open Pacific there and it can get rough.
Not sure but I think one stop in Alaska is dropped because they have to
make a stop in Canada(usually Victoria) for a day. To satisfy the Jone Act.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Admiral

I would rather start from Vancouver, beacause I don,t have to pass through customs.
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've cruised out of Seattle to Alaska. Enjoyed it alot, and didn't feel I was missing anything (and I have sailed from Vancouver as well).

For Americans Seattle is normally less expensive to get to as well.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
I would rather start from Vancouver, beacause I don,t have to pass through customs.
I don't think so, Earl. Each time we have sailed out of Vancouver, we have had to go through US Immigration at the pier. The nice thing about it is that we don't have stand in those long, long lines at Pearson to go through US Immigration & Customs when we fly from to Vancouver from TO.

You still have to stop at Canadian customs after you leave the ship, but if I remember correctly they don't wake you up at some ungodly hour to go through Immigration when the ship docks.
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've sailed from Vancouver twice and enjoyed it a lot. The next time I go to Alaska I'll proably sail from Seattle for something different, and like Kuki said, airfare is usually cheaper to Seattle for US residents.

Shelby
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

The train station in Seattle is almost within eyesight of the cruise terminal (slight exaggeration, but very close) whereas SEATAC is about 10 miles south.

Our Alaska cruise departed from Vancouver and ended in Sitka. From there HAL drove us to Anchorage for the return flight. Still a 7 day cruise but we did not double up on any sights.
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
The train station in Seattle is almost within eyesight of the cruise terminal (slight exaggeration, but very close) whereas SEATAC is about 10 miles south.

Our Alaska cruise departed from Vancouver and ended in Sitka. From there HAL drove us to Anchorage for the return flight. Still a 7 day cruise but we did not double up on any sights.
You probablyt meant Seward not Sitka. Sitka is on an island and no ships terminate there cruises there.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Admiral

You are right...I even asked my wife and we couldn't remember.
It WAS over 12 years ago.