Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Eurodam-Fort Lauderdale

Hello,

I am from the UK and I've just booked for the Eurodam in October 2008. Incidentally, I booked through an American Agent rather than UK which saved me a small fortune!
What can anyone tell me about Fort Lauderdale? I haven't yet booked my flights but would you recommend flying into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and are there any hotels you can recommend? A good flight agent wouldn't go amiss either!! We hope to travel 3 days prior to boarding.

This will be our first HAL cruise but we did do RCCL (Voyager) in the Med this year. Does anyone know what my 14yrs old son can expect from HAL?

Lots of questions!! (Sorry)!
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Check with a flight agent in the UK and see what kind of flights you can get. Miami is an International airport and you may find more flights going there rather than FLL, although the FLL airport is very close to the pier.

You might try Embassy Suites on 17th Street - a lot of people stay there and recommend it.

Unfortunately travelling in October I don't think you will find many kids on the ship for your son. The majority of American and Canadian kids are in school.
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks,

My sons school is on a mid-term break at that time which gives us the opportunity to travel. I was hoping for some company for him. Do the US or Canadian children not have a break around Halloween?
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysdad
Thanks,

My sons school is on a mid-term break at that time which gives us the opportunity to travel. I was hoping for some company for him. Do the US or Canadian children not have a break around Halloween?
Most Canadian and US children return to school around the end of August or the beginning of September (after Labour Day which is the first Monday in September) after summer holidays. Canadian kids don't get a holiday until Thanksgiving, which is the 2nd Monday in October and then it's only one day. You will find more US children on the ships either the week before their Thanksgiving or the week after - (end of November). The really big holiday is at Christmas/New Years. Most schools in Canada don't start their Christmas holidays until this Friday and then have 2 weeks.

I am sure their will be some children on your cruise, but doubt there will be many your son's age. You never know though.
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

Did you booked for tne Oct. 18 or Oct 25 sailing?
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Flying from the UK you should fly to Miami. Otherwise if you are flying into to FLL, you'll have to connect in Atlanta, Chicago or NYC.

I've stay at the Hyatt Pier 66, which is directly accross from the port. They have a revolving restaurant/bar on the roof and you can watch the ships sail away. It's a bit pricey but compared to the UK, it shouldn't seem too expensive.
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstaples
Flying from the UK you should fly to Miami. Otherwise if you are flying into to FLL, you'll have to connect in Atlanta, Chicago or NYC.

I've stay at the Hyatt Pier 66, which is directly accross from the port. They have a revolving restaurant/bar on the roof and you can watch the ships sail away. It's a bit pricey but compared to the UK, it shouldn't seem too expensive.
Last I heard that revolving restaurant/bar was closed some time ago and the hotel was under renovation. I think the reno is finished but I don't think they every re-opened the revolving bar.

It is pricey compared to Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites would be more suitable for a family, as they have a separate bedroom and a pull-out sofa in the living room. Also free continental breakfast which is quite good.

I just checked Pier 66 web site and they do not show a pix of the revolving bar/lounge or even mention it, so I think it is closed
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfleo
Did you booked for tne Oct. 18 or Oct 25 sailing?
Hi, I've booked for the 25th.

Mark
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Check out an article I wrote, for Cruisemates, which I hope will give you some useful info.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...lauderdale.cfm

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the comprehensive guide to Fort Lauderdale..................my "spending better half" is delighted with the shopping blog!

I am keeping up to date with the ship build on: -

www.eurodamnews.com

Facinating.

Mark

Liberty of the Seas
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Eurodam-Fort Lauderdale

Greetings from Texas:

For your son there are video arcades and a teen area, but during this time period kiddos age 5+ will be scarce. Ship will have Halloween partiers in costumes. If your teen is an adventurer do the Atlantis sub in St. Thomas to see Shark Alley and hike down to the Baths in Virgin Gorda and climb around in the caves. Check for the Reef Balls straight out from the water park in Half Moon Cay and try the banana boat. If y'all dive do it at Grand Turk.

I have done Pier 66 a few times, but it has been 5 years since my last visit. There are several other hotels in the FLL that are very good.

Fins up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysdad
Hello,

I am from the UK and I've just booked for the Eurodam in October 2008. Incidentally, I booked through an American Agent rather than UK which saved me a small fortune!
What can anyone tell me about Fort Lauderdale? I haven't yet booked my flights but would you recommend flying into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and are there any hotels you can recommend? A good flight agent wouldn't go amiss either!! We hope to travel 3 days prior to boarding.

This will be our first HAL cruise but we did do RCCL (Voyager) in the Med this year. Does anyone know what my 14yrs old son can expect from HAL?

Lots of questions!! (Sorry)!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas