Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Default Suggested tipping at the Pinnacle Grill

We will be taking our first-ever cruise on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Rivera on February 9. We have already booked dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. Would someone kindly advise us about the suggested tipping policy at this restaurant. Thanks...I'm sure I'll have other questions during the next month.
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Suggested tipping at the Pinnacle Grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey
We will be taking our first-ever cruise on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Rivera on February 9. We have already booked dinner at the Pinnacle Grill. Would someone kindly advise us about the suggested tipping policy at this restaurant. Thanks...I'm sure I'll have other questions during the next month.
Some people tip and others don't. Personally, unless the service is something to write home about, I don't tip anything extra. I'm paying $30 per person to eat there. I would pay zilch in the main dining room. Therefore, I feel the tip is already included in the surcharge. Also, I'm paying auto-tips each day, which includes a tip for my dining room servers. If I eat in the Pinnacle, I feel that somehow the ship is giving the servers there something from that auto-tip pool.

However, others feel differently and do put a tip down ... generally about $10 per person.

Do whatever feels right to you. Just don't feel you "have" to tip. All you "have" to do is pay the $30 per person surcharge, unless of course your TA has given you free "Pinnacle Grill Experience" vouchers.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Unless the service was second to none -- don't tip! The wait staff in the PG is part of the tipping pool just like the servers in the main dining room. HAL is charging you $30 pp to eat there and not all of that is for food. If you must tip, then $5 pp is appropriate.