Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Default Deluxe Verandah Stateroom - change request from HA

I really need some speedy advice!

When I first reserved on the Oosterdam, we were given a "handicap deluxe verandah stateroom" and was told that it would be a larger, mid-ship room. I was also told at the time that, if necessary, we would be asked to move. Today I received a call from my TA informing me that HA would like to know if my husband and/or I really need a handicap room. The truth is that my husband does walk with a cane, but doesn't use a wheelchair and can manage quite well.

My question is: Am I in a position to make any requests such as location, non obstructed view, no solid steel railings, not near elevators, nothing loud above or below, etc. We were advised that the mid-ship veranha stateroom would be a perfect "first voyage" choice, and I truly don't want to be disappointed.

Your input will be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I do have to call my TA/HA within a day or so, I time is of the essence. What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Well~~~They did tell you from the start that you may be asked to give up the room.
I, myself, am 100% disabled, but since I don't use a wheelcair on cruises, I don't book the handicapped rooms.
I would feel bad if I prevented someone from going on a cruise because I wanted a larger room.
My suggestion is to see where they will put you. If isn't totally forward, and it has a shower that your DH can easily use, I would accept it.
We have actually booked aft cabins for both of our coming cruises.

Just check your deck plans beforehand so you will have some idea of where they want to move you. You can always say 'no'.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

This is a problem with the cruise lines selling handicapped cabins to people who don't really have the need for one.

You accepted their conditions when you booked the cabin, so you should accept the move to allow somone with the need. I'm sure HAL will do their best to find you a decent cabin in the category you booked.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your input. I totally agree and would be willing to give up the room for a disabled person. However, when I returned the call, it wasn't from HAL or my booking agent, it was from Travelocity. They simply asked if we would exchange our room for another on the same level but wouldn't tell me where, etc. I responded by saying that I would contact my agent and discuss the type of room, location, etc. If all things being equal, I would gladly relinquish my room. I'm a bit disturbed that I wasn't contacted by my agent or HA but rather Travelocity. Is this the norm?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I'm a bit disturbed that I wasn't contacted by my agent or HA but rather Travelocity. Is this the norm?
NO! That is very bizarre. If you didn't book with them Travelocity should have no access to your booking, or personal information, to be able to contact you.

I would complain vociferously directly to a supervisor at HAL
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

This is bizarre! How did Travelocity get your name, phone number, booking number?

I would definitely do what Kuki said and get in touch with HAL immediately.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Beginner

Thanks, DeeDee and Kuki for your input. I agree that the call from Travelocity was inappropriate. I shall contact a supervisor at HAL tomorrow when I'll be at home with my documentation. As I said, I'm not opposed to giving up our room, but I would like more information. Thanks again...we're first-time cruisers and would be lost without this wonderful website.
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am anxious to see how this is resolved...I am betting both the ta and HAL, will say they know nothing about this! Let us know.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Captain

Strange.......

You have no relationship to Travelocity and no obligation to even speak with them.

I'm guessing they are trying to snag your cabin so they can make a sale. Hope they have not misrepresented to HAL and gone and sold your cabin saying you agreed to move.

Let us know how you make out.
Good luck.

I agree you should give up that cabin to a person who needs it but only if you are advised of that by your TA or HAL and they inform you to what cabin you are being moved.

I do not think you are entitled to any special courtesy as you, as an able-bodied person, knowingly booked that cabin and were advised it was possible you might have to give it up.

It's simply the right thing to do and no 'reward' should be expected IMO

(I'm not implying you are looking for something.)
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

I personally feel that the handicapped spaces should be the last ones let in any price category. Then, if you are asked to move you should be bumped up to a higher category or compensated the difference if bumped lower.
I find it odd that they let a handicapped room go before the others in the same category.

I travel a lot and always book the handicapped hotel rooms because I like the bigger bathrooms.
I have been asked to move twice and did so gladly.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Beginner

Well, I made and documented my calls yesterday. "Trip" was right...no one knew anything about this! I called my cruise advisor at Southwest who knew nothing of the episode. Then I called HAL who was astonished that anyone would have my information and said that, as long as I didn't agree to the change, I should forget it. Then I called Travelocity and spoke with the young man who called me originally, and he said that my TA was listed as Travelocity! When I asked to speak to a supervisor, none were around. So, since I never gave permission to Travelocity, I've decided just to drop it. On the otherhand, I think that I'll call Southwest and/or HAL to check my cabin number just to make sure that it hasn't been changed. I already have all of my travel documents. This entire incident has truly been bizarre, and I do hope that nothing else happens before February 9th to complicate my first cruise. Thank you everyone for walking me through this.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Deluxe Verandah Stateroom - change request from HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey
My question is: Am I in a position to make any requests such as location, non obstructed view, no solid steel railings, not near elevators, nothing loud above or below, etc. We were advised that the mid-ship veranha stateroom would be a perfect "first voyage" choice, and I truly don't want to be disappointed.
You always have room to negotiate ... or your travel agent to do so on your behalf ... but the bottom line is that the cruise lines don't have all that many staterooms that are handicapped accessible, and when you book one, you always run the risk of losing it to someone who truly needs it.

I would just make your preferences known and hope for the best. My curiosity is why you just didn't book your preferred stateroom and location in the first place ... in a regular, non-handicapped cabin?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Rita - When I originally called Southwest, I told the agent that this was to be our first cruise. I also said that I knew nothing about preferred amenities to request. The agent was kind enough to advise me not to get an obstructed view, steel railings, not too near elevators, etc. The HE suggested the room, and I agreed. That's the bottom line. So, if the room is truly needed, I shall be glad to give it up. But I certainly would like to be asked by HAL or my own agent and be told upfront what and where the room is.
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Captain

Just my opinion, but it does not speak well for Southwest or your Agent.

There are so few handicap cabins they never should have suggested you book one.

Handicap parking places, hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins etc should be reserved for those who need them.
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Just my opinion, but it does not speak well for Southwest or your Agent.

There are so few handicap cabins they never should have suggested you book one.

Handicap parking places, hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins etc should be reserved for those who need them.
...and only let when there will not be a need for them.
Hotels and cruises should not have to 'eat' a vacant room because there are no handicapped buyers.

As far as parking spaces...a survey recently showed that less than 25% of the stickers are actually used by those that really need them.