Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Default Holland America cruise from Hell

Just returned from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam, roundtrip San Diego. It was truly the cruise from Hell. Had a room at the front of the ship that must have been located over the machinery. There was a loud banging of metal every five minutes for hours on end. It was so loud and with such force that it shook the whole cabin. I contacted the room steward right asway, he said there was always a problem in that room and that most passengers were moved to other rooms. At the front desk I was told that the ship was fully booked and there was nothing they could do. We were offered ear plugs and told to have a nice day!! Finally the noise became so bad that the mamager came down to hear it for herself. Once again we were told to get ear plugs. After a week of no sleep, a room came available in Honolulu when someone got off the ship. We were moved to the third floor. The room seemed OK at first but unknown to us, it was located directly under the kitchen!! All night long there was the sound of carts being rolled across the ceiling, various banging noises going on all the time. So once again, no sleep. If any of you have had a similar experience on H.A., especially the Zaandam, I would like to hear from you.:cry:
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience, with the cabins..It's been my experience that you really need to check out the deck plans, to see what's over, and above you. Not sleeping well, I am sure impacted your enjoyment, but how was the cruise, other than this issue?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Familiar Face

I cruised the Zaandam last May to Alaska and had a great time. But our cabin was mid ship (I picked it out specifically about 9 months in advance) You can request specific cabins if you call well enough in advance. If you are a last minute cruiser this won't work for you.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Captain

Sorry you had a noisy cabin. It happens. The ship, obviously, is a mass of machinery. Careful study of the deck plans really helps in selecting the best cabin to suit you. Did you book a guarantee? If so, remember that often a guarantee (in exchange for the lower fare) puts you in a cabin no one else wants. That is why it was available.

We have sailed Zaandam a number of times and had wonderful experience but we carefully select the location of our cabin.

Hope your next cruise is more to your liking.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Sorry about the bad experience. We once had a room right over a noisy malfuntioning stablizer! (Not on HAL) The previous posts say it all, You have to be careful and selective in advance. Every ship has some bad, noisy rooms, every ship.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Hi Java.....one question....did you use a cruise agent or did you do it yourself online? If you used a cruise agent they should have advised you against a forward cabin. Next time study the deck layouts...thats what they are there for. I never sell a cabin in that area to any client unless they want to go dirt cheap. But they are advised that it could be rocky or noisy. Just a thought.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Default Cabin

I am considering a cruise on the Zaandam. What were the cabin numbers

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:19 PM
First Mate

This is a very old post, and the only one I have ever read that thought Zandaam was a bad ship.

We are booked on a 15 day to Hawaii, and I have no doubt it will be as great an experience as my other HAL cruises have been.

I wouldn't worry about sailing Zandaam.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Passenger

we've just finished our 5th cruise and at about #2 we realized that you have to pick your cabins carefully. Get a deck plan out and ask your agent for specific rooms. I won't repeat what all the others said, but I am pretty sure you'll enjoy yourself more next time.
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Beginner

I once had the pleasure of a cabin under the kitchen on a cruise ship, so I feel your pain. I was not a HAL ship but the cruiseline that covered Disney before the Disney ship came to be. It was awfull, they must have drop/kicked every pot and pan they had at least four times a day. We went to DisneyWorld and slept two of our three days.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Holland America cruise from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java
Just returned from a 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Zaandam, roundtrip San Diego. It was truly the cruise from Hell. Had a room at the front of the ship that must have been located over the machinery. There was a loud banging of metal every five minutes for hours on end. It was so loud and with such force that it shook the whole cabin. I contacted the room steward right asway, he said there was always a problem in that room and that most passengers were moved to other rooms. At the front desk I was told that the ship was fully booked and there was nothing they could do. We were offered ear plugs and told to have a nice day!! Finally the noise became so bad that the mamager came down to hear it for herself. Once again we were told to get ear plugs. After a week of no sleep, a room came available in Honolulu when someone got off the ship. We were moved to the third floor. The room seemed OK at first but unknown to us, it was located directly under the kitchen!! All night long there was the sound of carts being rolled across the ceiling, various banging noises going on all the time. So once again, no sleep. If any of you have had a similar experience on H.A., especially the Zaandam, I would like to hear from you.
I hate to break this to you, but every ship has a few cabins like that, we too have been stuck a few times. I wouldn't say it was quite as bad as you are making it out to be. Of course I wasn't in your cabin. yes, if you are on a lower deck and forward or far aft you are going to hear lots of noises from the engine, anchors, etc. You also probably paid less for your cabin than had you been mid ship or on a higher deck. I know this was the reason we had to suffer through the engine music a few times.

I notice you are a first time poster. Perhaps had you been on the boards prior to sailing and asked questions someone may have told you about the pitfalls of booking certain cabins. Did you have a travel agent or did you do this on your own? It sounds from your referring to floors not decks and rooms not cabins you might be a first time cruiser.

It is too bad your vacation was ruined. I hope you do not give up on cruising and get yourself a good travel agent, ask questions and try to research as much as you can before cruising.

Nita
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Noise on ships

There are noises on various ships due to a variety of problems. There are inexpensive "white noise" machines that can reduce a variety of noises. Might not be such a bad idea for the ships to have a few on hand in case there is a problem. While it may not make all the noises go away - it could help with some of them.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Admiral

anyone notice Java never came back....???
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
anyone notice Java never came back....???

Just another drive-by.
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Default HAL

Yea, no date, no ship.....no credibility

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Passenger

A friend owns a cruise industry newsletter and I consulted him before booking the Zaandam. His only caution is most cabins on the lower promenade are a poor choice. They are under the kitchen, or next to the lounges, or people are walking by outside your window. Other than that, he loves that ship.
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Beginner

I haven't been on the boards in a long time. I have been on 16 cruises on six different cruise lines. I discovered the hard way that it is important to look at deck plans and know what is above, below, and next to you. For inside cabins those blank areas on the deck plans are very noisy work areas

However, on Maasdam I knew when we booked we were in a bad location. My mom and I were in a handicap room forward. When we tendered, the lowering of the anchor was the loudest wake up call I have ever had. The cabin was great and we needed a handicap room.

Again on another cruise we were far forward by choice. We were cruising with my teen daughter and her friend. I wanted connecting rooms, not justing adjoining cabins. Even though we booked in Jan. for a June sailing. Those were the only adjoining cabins available.

I find I feel better about having a poor location when I know I chose the cabin for other reasons that had a priority over the noise.
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie51
I haven't been on the boards in a long time. I have been on 16 cruises on six different cruise lines. I discovered the hard way that it is important to look at deck plans and know what is above, below, and next to you. For inside cabins those blank areas on the deck plans are very noisy work areas

However, on Maasdam I knew when we booked we were in a bad location. My mom and I were in a handicap room forward. When we tendered, the lowering of the anchor was the loudest wake up call I have ever had. The cabin was great and we needed a handicap room.

Again on another cruise we were far forward by choice. We were cruising with my teen daughter and her friend. I wanted connecting rooms, not justing adjoining cabins. Even though we booked in Jan. for a June sailing. Those were the only adjoining cabins available.

I find I feel better about having a poor location when I know I chose the cabin for other reasons that had a priority over the noise.
We have had forward twice and yes, the anchor dropping certainly is a wake up call. other than that it really didn't bother us. On the Jewel, her first sailing across the northern Atlantic we were so excited about even getting a cabin we would have shared with the crew members.

Nita
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Picking inside midship is the key to motion and noise. BTDT sleeping in about every location aboard over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast
I cruised the Zaandam last May to Alaska and had a great time. But our cabin was mid ship (I picked it out specifically about 9 months in advance) You can request specific cabins if you call well enough in advance. If you are a last minute cruiser this won't work for you.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Hello,

This is my frist trip on Amsterdam. How do you know which room are noisy? I read the deckplan but I don't see where it lists kitchen or machine room. I booked an inside room on the main deck next to the elevator. Does this sound like a bad room?

Thanks,
PC
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceCruiser
Hello,

This is my frist trip on Amsterdam. How do you know which room are noisy? I read the deckplan but I don't see where it lists kitchen or machine room. I booked an inside room on the main deck next to the elevator. Does this sound like a bad room?

Thanks,
PC
Main deck is perfect. What # cabin did you book?

The kitchen is located on the Promenade deck, in that large blank space on the deck plan between the lower dining room and the Pinnacle Grille. It's not marked on the deck plans.

The Engine room is way below Dolphin deck, so you won't hear any noise from there.
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Thanks DeeDee

I booked an inside L2### something I don't remember exactly bit it's toward the end of the ship. It's right next to the elevator and an large empty space on the deck plan.

I had two terrible experiences with noise at Double Tree hotel before so I can sympathize with what Java.

PC