CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Little worried about Formal Nights (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/344414-little-worried-about-formal-nights.html)

teeejh January 7th, 2008 02:35 AM

Little worried about Formal Nights

I've read several things about the Formal nights on HAL. I've actually talked my boyfriend into renting a tux and now I just read that it's okay to wear a dark jacket with slacks. :-?

Holy crap... he'll friggin lose his mind if I have him rent a tux and there are hardly any men in tuxedos. Now me, I'll wear an evening dress and not give a flip what others are wearing because I dress up because I rarely get to do so.

So.... HELP!!!!!!!! This is his first cruise and I want him to enjoy EVERY single minute of it! Me, I'm on the ocean, I don't have to cook, I don't have to deal with homework, I don't have to clean... guess you get it, I'm just happy to be cruising! WOO HOO!!!

Less than 2 weeks - I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Yep, I'm a little silly and VERY excited! :D

tennisbum January 7th, 2008 09:46 AM

Have been on numerous holland ships and you will find the majorityof men in formals.He will feel great about dressing up and will fit in nicely more so than just a jacket.

rinker250 January 7th, 2008 11:11 AM

Just returned from a Holland cruise.
10% of the men wore tuxes...about 40% wore SUITS...a little less wore sport coats with a tie and some wore sport shirts.

He'll be happy he rented the tux.

richstacy January 7th, 2008 12:42 PM

Have spent two months on HAL ships on the last three years, including a 35 day cruise last year. No more than 35% tuxes now as opposed to 60% just a few years ago. Now it is mostly dark suits on formal nights. I promise you a dark suit will be sufficient. Might want to take a sport jacket for informal nights. And maybe Hawaiian shirts for casual if in the tropics. This is a good thing, because my tux seems to be getting smaller. :D :-?

Divemaster January 8th, 2008 11:33 AM

Yes, the ratio of tuxes to suits has dropped over the years. That said he'll look classier in a tux and you can get a formal picture done for the occasion. Check around for interesting cummerbund sets, over here in Texas we have our Texas flag sets and the like to flaunt when out in the lesser 49. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by richstacy
Have spent two months on HAL ships on the last three years, including a 35 day cruise last year. No more than 35% tuxes now as opposed to 60% just a few years ago.

Ford_Racing_Ron January 9th, 2008 10:38 AM

Tuxes are cool. I don't wear one, I have a nice expensive wool suit I only bring out for cruising, but sometimes I look around and see all the James Bond looking guys in tuxes and envy them. So if your significant other has a suit he'll be just fine, but if he does opt for the tux (which the others have said there are not to many of anymore,,,mostly older guys wearing them) the picture on formal night will be the best and you can role play a Bond flick :) .

Divemaster January 9th, 2008 11:38 AM

Yeah, actually made my 12 year old kiddo do the Bond bit for his passport photo. 8) I did the Buffet bit with Hawaiian shirt, sandals and beard. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
Tuxes are cool. I don't wear one, I have a nice expensive wool suit I only bring out for cruising, but sometimes I look around and see all the James Bond looking guys in tuxes and envy them.

Newbie's January 9th, 2008 12:15 PM

We are taking our first cruise March 8th and it is special to us. We are celebrating our 33 Anniversary and after raising our 5 children we are finally getting away by ourselves.

Since it is our first cruise we want to do it right. So a Tux it is. Maybe on our next cruise I will consider just a suit but I highly doubt it.

We chose Holland America because of it's tradition and elegance over the other cruise lines.

I am sure when your boyfriend sees you in your evening dress; all his cares and concerns of what everyone else is wearing will be gone.

Otherwise you might as well go camping. :D

Let us know how things go.

Dennis

Divemaster January 9th, 2008 03:23 PM

And what's wrong with camping, this assistant scoutmaster and father of D. Boone and T. Roosevelt's cousin asks? LOL

Happy 33 - you will do well by HAL. Assume some of the kiddos are older and know about the stuff you can order shoreside, hint, hint. :D

https://www.hollandamerica.com/shop/...tmj1YSLB0dIKlV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie's
We are taking our first cruise March 8th and it is special to us. We are celebrating our 33 Anniversary and after raising our 5 children we are finally getting away by ourselves.

Since it is our first cruise we want to do it right. So a Tux it is. Maybe on our next cruise I will consider just a suit but I highly doubt it.

We chose Holland America because of it's tradition and elegance over the other cruise lines.

I am sure when your boyfriend sees you in your evening dress; all his cares and concerns of what everyone else is wearing will be gone.

Otherwise you might as well go camping. :D

Let us know how things go.

Dennis

teeejh January 9th, 2008 04:15 PM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. He said he'd rather rent the tux because it's easier and just cause he thinks he's funny, said he was going to look better than me. 8) Don't think it's happening. I'll post pics when we get back - WOO HOO only 10 more days!!!!! :D

BTW.... I love to camp as well and can't seem to get the SO to go with me. Guess it's cause I don't camp where there are showers and bathrooms. I believe if I'm going to camp out in the wilderness, I'm going to do it without campgrounds and tons of people around. It's about peace and quiet! :)

rinker250 January 9th, 2008 04:23 PM

My idea of camping is a motor home in the parking lot of a MOTEL.

Divemaster January 9th, 2008 05:37 PM

Peace and quiet - try that in the wilderness with 31 scouts. LOL LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by teeejh
Thanks everyone for all the replies. He said he'd rather rent the tux because it's easier and just cause he thinks he's funny, said he was going to look better than me. 8) Don't think it's happening. I'll post pics when we get back - WOO HOO only 10 more days!!!!! :D

BTW.... I love to camp as well and can't seem to get the SO to go with me. Guess it's cause I don't camp where there are showers and bathrooms. I believe if I'm going to camp out in the wilderness, I'm going to do it without campgrounds and tons of people around. It's about peace and quiet! :)

Newbie's January 9th, 2008 08:15 PM

I knew that camping remark would get me in trouble. :) I was also a Boy Scout leader and did the Jamboree thing several times with thousands of boy scouts and we have camped with the kids for approximately 25 years.

However, it's nice to stay in hotels and now take a cruise. The older I get, the more comfort I look for.

Dennis

Divemaster January 9th, 2008 08:51 PM

Hat's off to you! Was at '67 and '69 myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie's
I knew that camping remark would get me in trouble. :) I was also a Boy Scout leader and did the Jamboree thing several times with thousands of boy scouts and we have camped with the kids for approximately 25 years.

However, it's nice to stay in hotels and now take a cruise. The older I get, the more comfort I look for.

Dennis

funlady&bama January 21st, 2008 07:36 PM

tux

I also love the fact that HAL still has a large number of men seeing fit to wear a tuxedo. Sadly, the cruise lines do not require a tux like they did just a few years ago. I guess it is all a part of the slumming of America. I do not like hearing people that spend thousands on a cruise say they cannot afford to buy a tux. If you cannot buy a new one, the rental shops sell used ones that have at least 5 - 6 years of wear left at an average use of 10-12 times per year....bama

rinker250 January 21st, 2008 07:39 PM

On the Ryndam cruise about 10% of the men wore tuxes.

richstacy January 21st, 2008 10:50 PM

10 to 20% wearing tuxes is about right. Bama is wrong. It is not a matter of expense at all. I have a tux, but I've left it home the last two cruises. My business suits cost on average $4 or $500 more than the tux, they look nicer and I like them better. Tuxes are seen as pretentious. If you want to wear one, fine -- but don't deride others (the clear majority) who have a different view of the subject.

kenish March 2nd, 2008 02:22 PM

I've dressed up for a Baja cruise on Celebrity and another one on Carnival. Both were 4-day cruises, and we took the train to San Diego for the Celebrity cruise and drove to LGB for Carnival.

In July we are taking HAL Zaandam out of YVR for a northbound Alaska cruise, then 5 days to the interior of Alaska in a rental car. We are "dressing down" by choice. Why? This 2-week trip will require formal wear, hiking boots and jeans, wet weather attire, shorts, mountin biking gear, swimwear, and everything in between! My teenage son and I are both very active, but handling lots of luggage through baggage claim, gangways, rental car shuttles, stairs, buses, etc. is never fun. I can't tell you how much time we've saved by being able to catch an hourly train just in time, get in on a tour, breeze through Customs, or be at the front of a line by traveling light. Also, all the stuff has to be stored somewhere in your cabin. (Why do you think they call it "lug"gage?)

Sorry about the tangent....for Alaska I'm dressing "resort casual" and maybe throw in one dress shirt, sport coat, and tie. I will do laundry halfway through the trip to help cut down on packing. If we realize we have taken "dressing down" too far, we will simply use the Lido on formal nights. More out of respect for decorum rather than worrying about what other people are wearing.

richstacy March 2nd, 2008 03:03 PM

Kennish, If you have a sport coat and tie you should be all right. The tie is the key. there will be quite few tuxes, and lot of dark suits, but there will be some sports coats too.

kenish March 3rd, 2008 01:52 AM

Hi Yeoman,
Thanks for the comment, it will help me pack "smarter"!

bed7ford March 9th, 2008 12:41 PM

TUXEDO

Hope your boyfriend didnt rent the tux. Not necessary at all. Most men wear dark suit and tie, a few wore tux. I think being comfortable is important. You're not going to a wedding!