Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Beginner

Default Recent Maasdam cruisers...

Recent Maasdam cruisers....I've read some reviews about this ship and many people talk about the ship being in poor repair....no air conditioning and poor plumbing.
Please tell me of your experiences.
I'm considering an Eastern Canada Fall 2008 cruise.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

No air conditioning and bad plumbing?? Who told you such a thing? I have not been on the Maasdam, but I have been on two of her sister ships: Ryndam and Statendam ( a month apiece). I can assure you that All HAL ships have very good air conditioning and plumbing, along with some of the finest amenities in the industry. It is my belief that all HAL ships have been refurbished within the past 5 years or so. They are elegant, fine ships that offer a superior 5 star cruising experience fleet-wide and world-wide. I think you may be a victim of a hoax.

check this review out:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...al/maasdam.cfm

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

There may be the occasional air conditioning or plumbing issue on almost any ship. Certainly in 20 years of cruising HAL I have seen such issues, but do not consider it correlating to the age of any of the ships I have sailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
No air conditioning and bad plumbing?? Who told you such a thing? I have not been on the Maasdam, but I have been on two of her sister ships: Ryndam and Statendam ( a month apiece). I can assure you that All HAL ships have very good air conditioning and plumbing, along with some of the finest amenities in the industry. It is my belief that all HAL ships have been refurbished within the past 5 years or so. They are elegant, fine ships that offer a superior 5 star cruising experience fleet-wide and world-wide. I think you may be a victim of a hoax.

check this review out:
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...al/maasdam.cfm
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Still looking for recent Maasdam cruisers. Am not interested in other replies or other HAL ships.
Read the October 2007 and October 2006 reviews by cruisers on the Maasdam. There are problems. I want to know if they are fixed.
Thanks-
Llars
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Hi Llars:

Try PMing those in recent meet and greets aboard the Maasdam for a better sampling of opinion. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llars
Still looking for recent Maasdam cruisers. Am not interested in other replies or other HAL ships.
Read the October 2007 and October 2006 reviews by cruisers on the Maasdam. There are problems. I want to know if they are fixed.
Thanks-
Llars
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Admiral

"Am not interested in other replies or..."

Yeah, well Llars sorry you don't like the advice we took considerable time to give you for no thanks, but your rudeness does inspire some more: -- why don't you just skip the cruise, I'm sure HAL will survive without you.

Do you really think one HAL ship is different from its exact doubles in the fleet?? Let me tell you something chum, sure all ships have quirky problems, but if you actually believe that a Holland America ship "...has no air conditioning and poor plumbing, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. They are terrific ships, beautifully appointed and well crewed. If you want better, you will have to go to Crystal or one of the other super premium lines. I know whereof I speak. I've spent lots of time on HAL ships.

We all do our best to help each other here. It's too bad you don't appreciate that.

Have a nice day.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Passenger

We have been on the Maasdam and its a great ship. We had a great cruise on her as we have on other HAL ships. We have never had nor heard of these problems which can occur on any ship no matter how old or new....stuff happens. In fact we had such a good time on the Maasdam we came home with a wonderful souvenier...my SON!!!
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

I was on the maasdam last nov. I had a great time and no major problems. a little wear and tear but that expected. I am most definitely
in the future going again on the Maasdam. You will love the ship.