Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Beginner

Default honeymoon

we are thinkning about taking a cruise from barcelona to venice. We would like to know if anyone has any advice on choosing between holland america or celebrity cruises. We would like the most romantic boat and best deal for our money. Plese help us out.
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Have not been on celebrity, but I know the lines are roughly cpmparable. I'm sure someone will pipe in with the comparison you want. I have spent a lot of time on HAL ships. They are beautiful ships, with teak decks, walk around promenades, rich woods throughout and millions in artwork -- good food and romantic atmosphere.

One recommendation, no matter which line you choose, if at all possible get a balcony/verandah. Makes all the difference in the world if you are seeking romance!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Passenger

We took our honeymoon on the Zaandam and had a wonderful honeymoon. They had several functions just for honeymooners and we were upgraded to a suite which was incredible. I wouldn't hesitate on HAL or on Celebrity...both would be perfect for a honeymoon.
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Passenger

I replied to your other post, but just in case you don't check here. I'll repost:

We have done both lines. HAL on the Westerdam, and Celebrity on the Millenium. We loved Holland America. We enjoyed ourselves on Celebrity but just got blown away on the Westerdam.

I had a second Celebrity cruise booked, but have since cancelled and bought tickets for another Holland America instead (which will be my honeymoon).
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Wow, an upgrade to a suite! That's awesome. I recently sailed on the Zuiderdam (1/12/08). It was a great cruise and it was also my honeymoon. It took my wife and I two and half years to get to have a honeymoon. At no time were we asked nor was there anywhere to note that it was our honeymoon. So HAL never knew. Sad for us, I didn't know there were any special treatments. It was also my third HAL cruise and there were no special treatments for beng a mariner.

In June 2001 I sailed the Rotterdam from Barcelona to Venice. It was an awesome cruise with incredible ports. However it was brutal having only two sea days out of 12. I'd recommend a more relaxed itinerary. Hey it's your honeymoon, you'll be more interested in not going sight seeing.

For romance, the Caribbean rocks! The less known the ports, the better. Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay were the best!

And I whole heartedly agree - get a verandah. The only thing better than having your own private railing to watch the ocean flow past is having your cabin two steps away from that private railing. My wife and I really enjoyed room service breakfasts on the verandah while comfortably clothed in terry cloth robes. We really liked having the verandah to enjoy as we ended each day clothed in terry cloth robes. And we really enjoyed listening to the ocean throughout the night with no terry cloth robes. Unless the price difference causes you to not be able to cruise GET A VERANDAH (and you will need terry cloth robes)

I've also sailed Celebrity. If you want elegance with a little more energy, sail on Celebrity. If you want elegance with a quiet night life, sail on HAL.

However, let me caveat here! You cannot go wrong with either of these lines. Enjoy and congratulations.

Now that I've written this, why did I ever get off the ship.....
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

I would choose HAL I think. Do remember many of the cruisers will be older, even older than Celebrity. Of course I don't know if you are 40 plus or barely 20. Even with that and knowing the night life isn't the greatest I am sure you will love HAL for a honeymoon.

Nita
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Since you don't give your age or any idea about what you need to have a good time ..... it's hard to comment. If you are young, "party hearty" types you won't like either of these lines. If you want a low-key, slower paced honeymoon with great service, HAL is your best bet. One thing, just be totally honest with your TA about what kind of experience you are looking for.