Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
First Mate

Momofmeg

Interesting that you read about this. Not experienced, not viewed, not witnessed. How about also reading the postings on this subject? Most people do not know there are gay people aboard most of the time. There will always be an atmosphere of fun and camaraderie no matter what group is aboard, straight or gay.

But there is one occasion when I have seen this negative behavior manifest itself with gay passengers and that is when straight passengers begin to use defamatory language against a gay person or couple and for no apparent reason other than their intolerable homophobia. I note no mention of this in these posts. Most gays can respond with indifference in just acknowledging the low level of those who attack us. But others can retaliate with unseemly behavior but it must be understood that this is a reaction to the abuse and bigotry that brings this about. We have witnessed this homophobic abuse aboard our ships and if anyone had dared to do that in public in my country they could and most probably would be brought up before the courts. Those that hate and attack gay people simply because they are gay have a deep-rooted problem with their own sexuality that is in need of care. Especially those that profess their case in the defense of the proverbially “widows and children”
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
Momofmeg

Interesting that you read about this. Not experienced, not viewed, not witnessed. How about also reading the postings on this subject? Most people do not know there are gay people aboard most of the time. There will always be an atmosphere of fun and camaraderie no matter what group is aboard, straight or gay.

But there is one occasion when I have seen this negative behavior manifest itself with gay passengers and that is when straight passengers begin to use defamatory language against a gay person or couple and for no apparent reason other than their intolerable homophobia. I note no mention of this in these posts. Most gays can respond with indifference in just acknowledging the low level of those who attack us. But others can retaliate with unseemly behavior but it must be understood that this is a reaction to the abuse and bigotry that brings this about. We have witnessed this homophobic abuse aboard our ships and if anyone had dared to do that in public in my country they could and most probably would be brought up before the courts. Those that hate and attack gay people simply because they are gay have a deep-rooted problem with their own sexuality that is in need of care. Especially those that profess their case in the defense of the proverbially “widows and children”
I am not interested in a person's sexual orientation and I do not care. But I hate public displays of affection when it comes to the point of touching the other person's %^&. And YES-I have seen many hertosexual couples do this. I do not care if the couple are opposite sex or the same sex-that is repulsive. An affectionette hug or kiss, hand holding, is fine, just please no fondling in view of others.

I read a similiar thread about a bunch of heterosexual swingers on another cruise doing similar things. I was repulsed by that also.
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
First Mate

PDA (Public Displays of Affection) can range from a couple simply dancing together to undue physical contact. Where to draw the line. When two men decide to get up on the dance floor and dance together to better enjoy THEIR cruise and this fact upsets another passenger, it is for this other passenger to resolve this issue with him/herself so that they can better enjoy THEIR cruise.

But when anyone is observed as publicly “going at it” as has been previously inferred, it is our understanding that this is an offence aboard any ship and would call for forced disembarkation at the following port of call, and rightfully so. No person(s) should have the right to publicly behave in such a manner whether or not children are present.

Now, we do not wish to make light of the subject, but could this well be an out for the gentleman who is complaining on this board that they would not allow him to get off the ship at the next port? …
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
PDA (Public Displays of Affection) can range from a couple simply dancing together to undue physical contact. Where to draw the line. When two men decide to get up on the dance floor and dance together to better enjoy THEIR cruise and this fact upsets another passenger, it is for this other passenger to resolve this issue with him/herself so that they can better enjoy THEIR cruise.

But when anyone is observed as publicly “going at it” as has been previously inferred, it is our understanding that this is an offence aboard any ship and would call for forced disembarkation at the following port of call, and rightfully so. No person(s) should have the right to publicly behave in such a manner whether or not children are present.

Now, we do not wish to make light of the subject, but could this well be an out for the gentleman who is complaining on this board that they would not allow him to get off the ship at the next port? …
Two men dancing together would not bother me but a hetrosexual couple girating toghter in a sexually explicit way would.
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Beginner

My advice? Try another cruise line. HA is terible in all respects
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Ah, I see our "didn't buy insurance" friend is back. He's the one who didn't buy insurance, had a heart attack before the cruise, and then expected HAL to reimburse him.

I bet HAL is very glad that he never will return to their ships.
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Ah, I see our "didn't buy insurance" friend is back. He's the one who didn't buy insurance, had a heart attack before the cruise, and then expected HAL to reimburse him.

! I do believe him and that guy off the Conquest would be good buddies!

Both would do better to find another vacation then crusing on ANY line!
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee

yep, he is back in the swing, not offering any advise, but letting us know what line we should or shouldn't sail. What a great person and so full of knowledge.....
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Beginner

Default What???

I don't normally post a reply to these sort of threads, but.....you all have to be kidding me? I am not gay, but how sad that you feel you have to cancel your cruise. "Do their thing out in the open", come on people, they are adults who love someone else just like the rest of you. Do you know that the gay lifestyle is not a choice they made, it's who they are. When a gay couple travels on a chartered "straight" cruise, do you think they worry that you might do your thing in the open. THEY ARE NOT FREAKS, I'm sure all of you know gay people and you don't even know it. Be carfeul what you say, your child may come home one day and say "mom, dad, I'm gay".

To all the gay people out there, please don't think we are all so ignorant!
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by its5pmsomewhere
To all the gay people out there, please don't think we are all so ignorant!
Just wanted to say that we by no means think that the majority of the travelling public are ignorant or hostile toward us. On the contrary, we have met some wonderful, tolerant people such as you aboard many ships.

We have just returned from a 20-day voyage where we met over 40 gay people aboard, mostly partnered but some singles travelling with their families. We have been together for 34 years but met a couple that have celebrated their 44th anniversary.

There will always be those who will maintain a bigoted opinion of the gay community but fortunately they become fewer in number with each passing year. Many thanks for your comments.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Wow...this is quite a post. I think it's covered social issues, discrimination, world hunger...okay, maybe not world hunger but I need to reread it. It's probably in there somewhere. A couple of points for consideration...we were on a ship that had been chartered by a certain cosmetics company which will remain nameless but it started with an A and ended with an n. All I remember were loads of women lying out at the pool with full hair, makeup, panty hose under their bathing suits (yes, not a typo). If you got on the elevator with this group, you needed to inhale deeply because you wouldn't be able to breath anything other than perfume and hair spray for the next 60 seconds. Now, I am sure that the vast majority of the women on this trip with this company did not fit this bill; however, I remember the panty hose under the suit at the pool. My point being, we sometimes end up attributing certain characterisitics to an entire group of people based on what we see from a few. This is not fair and to Ron n Jon's point, they are not noticed or labeled unless they specifically identify themselves...so not all gay people are hanging nude from the chandeliers after dinner. If there is a risk that there could be behavior that is outside of the parent's comfort zone, I think most people would agree it would be best to look at other options. This thread has provided some helpful info on TAs and rebooking.

As an aside, we are traveling on HAL with our two young children...from some posts I have read, I am not sure who will have the easier time with fellow cruisemates....a gay couple or a parent with young kids. But it's my family vacation, and I plan to make the most of it. I will respect others and hope to keep my children from becoming the subject of a future post on this website. It's your vacation....have fun. The best advice I have received thus far: don't do cannon balls in the pool, do not run down the halls or remove breakfast orders, put your napkin in your lap, do not attempt to wear jeans in the dining room (wait, you're gay...you'll be the best dressed ones on the boat- okay, that is meant to be a stereotype- if you missed that, reread the paragraph above), and no groping (STRAIGHT or GAY) in public.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Default Sadly - Had To Cancel My Cruise

I am glad to hear you got another cruise given your investment in your airfare. I to would avoid this group; I avoid all large groups on ships, in camp grounds, theatres and restaurants.

I had a terrible experience on a Celebrity cruise 2 years ago - a large religious group took over the 2nd story in the dining room and forced most everyone to early sitting. I was not given notice until I checked in on my table assignment and presto! The maitre d accused me of religious intolerance, so I told him to take his political correctness elsewhere. Got a nice table for 2!

This large group of about 600 really impacted the cruise experience. The loud talking, butting into lines to be with others etc.

I would have been out $2,000 on self booked airfare, except that I raised a fuss.

Group bookings are a big deal on a ship as other passengers have very few options to avoid the group - VS a land vacation where you can go many places.

I have read the posts on this thread - I note the identity politics, political correctness and thought police mentality. Please be advised you have no entitlement to tell me (or any other poster) what to think, whom to like or whom to associate with.

As for the poster from Canada, I got the sense that you were inferring that Canadians were more tolerant than others, speak for yourself. Not in my circle of acquaintenances in Toronto.

I would have have cancelled my booking as well.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Sadly - Had To Cancel My Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoatNerd

As for the poster from Canada, I got the sense that you were inferring that Canadians were more tolerant than others, speak for yourself. Not in my circle of acquaintenances in Toronto.
We can well imagine
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Danny's Dad. Glad you were able to find another cruise that suited your family better. I'm with you by the way in thinking your first responsibility is to your son and whatever you envisioned the family vacation to be. In truth I would have cancelled for a few things if my children's fun vacation was my goal. You can tell by this string that there is high anxiety over this subject so everything is not worked out with we humans. The thing is I wouldn't want to be booked on a ship filled with honeymooner's either if I wanted to experience a family vacation. I think I'd look for a ship that had more children as well. Kids get bored pretty easily.

Of course if my goal is simply my enjoyment, nothing could be more fun than being around any couple on vacation gay or straight. And nothing beats the fun of being paired up with Canadians - just thought I'd throw that in since some of my most hysterical vacations were with Canadians. (thought I'd drop a little humor in for ya!) Happy Sailing!

In any case enjoy your trip and have a wonderful time.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Well we enjoyed our cruise.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Well, you brought up homophobic and I'm gonna assume you mean me.
Contrary to what one of the posters believes, my post was not meant to belittle, slam or denegrate gay people.
I just have seen first hand how gay people flaunt their lifestyle when they are secure within a group.
I only brought that up because it will mean that they will kiss pasionately, hug and even grope each other in public. I am disgusted when heteros do this....why can't I also be disgusted when gay people do the same?
I have a very good friend who just so happens to be gay.
My mistake was assuming the OP probably would not want his 14 year old seeing heteros making out and groping each other.
I just added that my experience will prove that his son will be exposed to inappropriate displays...because it will happen and you all know it!
I agree with you. I wouldn't bring a young, impressionable child on that cruise, either.

I live in the New Orleans area and share your experiences RE public/inappropriate displays of affection/lust.

As an adult, I won't even go into the New Orleans airport, much less the Quarter during the SOUTHERN DECADENCE FESTIVAL .

www.southerndecadence.net/
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Hypocrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Well, you brought up homophobic and I'm gonna assume you mean me.
Contrary to what one of the posters believes, my post was not meant to belittle, slam or denegrate gay people.
I just have seen first hand how gay people flaunt their lifestyle when they are secure within a group.
I only brought that up because it will mean that they will kiss pasionately, hug and even grope each other in public. I am disgusted when heteros do this....why can't I also be disgusted when gay people do the same?
I have a very good friend who just so happens to be gay.
My mistake was assuming the OP probably would not want his 14 year old seeing heteros making out and groping each other.
I just added that my experience will prove that his son will be exposed to inappropriate displays...because it will happen and you all know it!
I agree with you. I wouldn't bring a young, impressionable child on that cruise, either.

I live in the New Orleans area and share your experiences RE public/inappropriate displays of affection/lust.

As an adult, I won't even go into the New Orleans airport, much less the Quarter during the SOUTHERN DECADENCE FESTIVAL .

www.southerndecadence.net/
Reverend Hypocrite - you certainly know your southern decadence