Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sadly I've cancelled my cruise

I was due to sail Eurodam 25th Oct 08 out of Fort Lauderdale.

The cruise has now been booked by a group called aquafest. As we have our young son travelling with us I feel it is inappropriate. I have asked my T/A to change me to another cruise, as our flights are fixed and paid for.

This has come as a great shock, as our agent didn't tell us about the group booking, either before, or since we booked. I hope we can either change cruises or receive our deposit back.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Regards

Mark
UK

No Longer Sailing
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Admiral

what a shame! Who or what is aquafest?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

I was wondering also what aquafest was?
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Admiral

So sorry to hear that you had to cancel your cruise. I do hope that your TA can work something out for you.

.I can understand why you wouldn't want to take your young son on this cruise.

Here's is what Aquafest is

http://www.aquafestcruises.com/
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

You are not alone, they cancelled my cruise too on the Eurodam from Oct 18-25. They said that the ship has been chartered. Still have to look for another date, and since I'm already going on 2 in Nov and 1 in Jan and 1 in Feb have to see where I'm going to squeeze it in.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Admiral

I see. Its a gay and lesbian group. Do they have the whole ship, or are there just a group of them going? If it's the latter, it might not be that much of a problem. Surely they won't be doing their, Uhh...thing out in the open. If you just have an aversion to their mere presence, then you might want to avoid Northern California, Miami Beach and London too. I guess for me it would depend on how much of the ship they were 'taking over.' If it's more than a third, I guess I'd be more comfortable somewhere else too. But if it's just another travel group, well -- live and let live I guess.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Admiral

It has been my experience that they are more demonstrative and blatant when in a group.
More so than heteros.
I don't blame ya.
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Although Aquafest's Home Pages states

"We are different from full ship charters, as our onboard offering melds the best each ship offers along with an unmatched Gay & Lesbian entertainment and event package. We successfully provide great discounts and very competitive offers, where the full ship charters cannot."

with all the entertainment they are bringing on board and all the parties they have scheduled, I would think that either the whole ship is chartered or at least 50% of the ship.

http://www.aquafestcruises.com/cruises/2008/halloween/

Personally, I'd look for another cruise.
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Admiral

that too bad about being bump, at least its not costing you anything
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Earl,

You stated that its not cost me anything. At the moment it has cost me around $1000.00 for the cruise deposit which I haven't had refunded, and $3000.00 + for flights to FLL for a cruise I can't go on.

My only hope is that my T/A can transfer me to another ship that sails from the area between 23rd Oct and 25th Oct or I get a refund on my cruise deposit. I'm only a working chap and that would be a big loss!

Mark

England
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Passenger

I agree it depends how big their group is as to whether it would affect you-some facilities might be closed to you from time to time.

I had a quick look on vacationstogo.com who list virtually all cruises from the big lines and there are several cruises from FLL and Miami inc. HAL for the period you require.

So I expect that your TA will be able to fix you up. I hope you have a great cruise.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Passenger

Default What the Heck?!!!!!!

I just saw rinker250's post that they are more demonstrative in a group...more than heteros?!!!! What the heck is that? That is outlandish lie and rinker250 you don't know what the heck you are talking about...or maybe you do but are afraid to admit it....which is probably the case! Just because someone doesn't want to go on a cruise when there is a gay group on board does not give you permission to make statements like that. Its 2008....Get Over It!!!
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
First Mate

Dannysdad I've found you the following cruises for those dates:

From Miami:

Oct 25: 7 Night eastern Caribbean on the Liberty of the Seas visiting San Juan, St.Maarten and Labadee

Oct.26: 7 night western Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas visiting Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown and Cozumel

Oct 26: 7 night western Caribbean on the Norwegian Pearl visiting Isla Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Great Stirrup Cay

From Ft.Lauderdale: Oct 26 (both cruises)

7 night eastern Caribbean on the Crown Princess visiting Princess Cays, St.Maarten, St.Thomas and Grand Turk

7 night western Caribbean on the Westerdam visiting Half moon cay, Grand Turk, Georgetown and Costa Maya
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What the Heck?!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papix2
I just saw rinker250's post that they are more demonstrative in a group...more than heteros?!!!! What the heck is that? That is outlandish lie and rinker250 you don't know what the heck you are talking about...or maybe you do but are afraid to admit it....which is probably the case! Just because someone doesn't want to go on a cruise when there is a gay group on board does not give you permission to make statements like that. Its 2008....Get Over It!!!

You will notice that I said that "it is my experience" that they are more demonstrative in a group. Do not presume to share my experience, got it?

I also do not presume to share your experiences.
Please be advised that I do not care which lifestyle is being demonstrative in public. All public displays of affection are unnecessary and an intrusion regardless of lifesyle and what year it is!
And, yes, gay folks put on a show.

Get a damn room! Hetero, gay, plaid, striped...whatever.....I am not impressed.
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What the Heck?!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papix2

You will notice that I said that "it is my experience" that they are more demonstrative in a group. Do not presume to share my experience, got it?

I also do not presume to share your experiences.
Please be advised that I do not care which lifestyle is being demonstrative in public. All public displays of affection are unnecessary and an intrusion regardless of lifesyle and what year it is!
And, yes, gay folks put on a show.

Get a damn room! Hetero, gay, plaid, striped...whatever.....I am not impressed.
I agree with rinker on this, but I am not sure this is meant to be a gay versus straight discussion, more a discussion on the OP not being told ahead of time what would be happening. These things are always opinions only and we all have them.

OP, as a TA I can assure you, your TA didn't do this deliberately and may not have even known. Plus if she/he had said anything it could be seen as discrimination.
I am certainly not a person that judges anyone's life style, but I would probably have the same feeling about the cruise if I had a yound child. Of course I don't know how old your child is. A six or seven year old I would find another cruise, if my son was a little older I would see it differently.

Nita
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think this post is getting a little out of hand.

My original post was all about making people aware of the group that was onboard Eurodam 25 Oct, and that I didn't think it was suitable for my 14yrs old son. It was also to ask for advise about my T/A and what they could do for me to change. Please bear in mind that this is the first time I have used a US T/A, so I didn't know what to expect.

The cruise was made it all the more "scary" with what was being offered onboard- Gay Olympics? Gay Singles Parties? Gay Group Parties? I'm sorry but in deepest darkest Lancashire in the UK that is not what could be said to be the norm.
My T/A has now been back in touch and I have an option to transfer to another cruise (RCCL-as it happens-who we have sailed with before).

I wasn't looking for an homophobic reaction, nor a racist reaction but as someone who has led a fairly sheltered existence, this cruise was not for me nor my family.

Each to their own (but not in front of me or my family-Thank You!).

Mark
Lancashire
UK
Old February 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Well, you brought up homophobic and I'm gonna assume you mean me.
Contrary to what one of the posters believes, my post was not meant to belittle, slam or denegrate gay people.
I just have seen first hand how gay people flaunt their lifestyle when they are secure within a group.
I only brought that up because it will mean that they will kiss pasionately, hug and even grope each other in public. I am disgusted when heteros do this....why can't I also be disgusted when gay people do the same?
I have a very good friend who just so happens to be gay.
My mistake was assuming the OP probably would not want his 14 year old seeing heteros making out and groping each other.
I just added that my experience will prove that his son will be exposed to inappropriate displays...because it will happen and you all know it!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Seattle Send a message via Yahoo to Seattle

Oh that would be just dandy. All those gay folks could come out of the closet right in front of your Impressionable kid. Wonderful. Maybe he could see some men kissing each other. Great! Maybe some folks would show up in drag. Cool? Maybe they will play spin the bottle or the dating game. I am sure he will have a lot of questions for you after and during the cruise. Good luck.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Beginner

I'm staying out of the discussion above, but, as did Dannysdad, I have a ligitimate question about cancelling and re-booking. Do we loose our deposit or can we just re-book on another of the same line's cruises and use our deposit there? Thanks for any advise on this.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
First Mate

It depends: if the ship has been chartered they will accomodate you or give you your money back. If you cancel yourself it depends, but in most cases if till that date you only have a deposit they will return it back to you.

In my case I was booked for the Oct 18 sailing, but they changed it for me and matched the price too. My March sailing was almost Usd 400 more than the one I originally had in October, but my price stayed the same.
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
First Mate

We should preface this posting with the fact that we are Canadian citizens and as such are now living more freely in a more accepting society. Such is not the case for the majority of others but while we are not totally free of the lingering homophobia we hope one day that everyone can and will be treated as equally as we now are.

We have taken an all-gay charter cruise and must say that we will not do so again. Those social freedoms exhibited at being gay without the everyday discrimination most of us are accustomed to, made for an exuberant party atmosphere. But as the str8 community was not involved, what difference did it make as long as all the ship rules and regulations were met. That said, it was a bit too exuberant for us.

We have taken several cruises where we were registered as part of a gay group, some as large as 175+ passengers. We held our own private cocktail parties aboard and dinned in a large group in one section of the dinning room, both seatings. Interestingly enough, as we were issued t-shirts identifying the group we were constantly ask by passengers just who were all these men wearing the identical t-shirts. When we explained whom we were there was mostly laughter and surprise but as well some shock and anger. But the point to be made here is that the other passengers had to be told who we were. We have drawn the analogy that any organized group, be they travel agents, nurses, Shiners, you name it, when together in a group will present an acceptable atmosphere of fun and camaraderie and no less so than when that group is comprised of gay people. PDA (personal displays of affection) are found in all groups and to many equally distasteful.

I’m sure that most fellow cruise passengers are now aware of the Friends Of Dorothy postings in the ships bulletins. Even when we are not part of an organized group and we gather at such a meeting, we are always surprised as to just how many fellow gays are aboard. We socially meet in designated areas and we have yet to hear of a complaint, other than on moral grounds, that our group was acting in any way without decorum. To have a nickel for every time we are asked, “What are you guys, doctors, lawyers, what?? But if there is public indiscretion we try to curtail it, as I’m sure most str8 people will curtail their own when equally indiscreet. We have made many friends aboard ship, both str8 as well as gay and continue to communicate and socialize. We represent in some cases the first gay people some people have ever knowingly met.

Being gay is not contagious and certainly is not learned. A fourteen-year-old boy is in no more danger aboard a ship with a group of gay men than a fourteen-year-old girl is from the majority balance of str8 people. If anything such a child as with his parents will most likely have to be told that there are gay people around them. That in itself could be a great lesson in social skills and behavior. The fear of homosexuality is often misplaced and may lie at the source of the objection. Hopefully though everyone will be able to see us as passengers who are gay and not gay passengers.
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

JJD,

In answer to your question, I was, after some arguments by the way, able to transfer to another cruise. I have a feeling I was being mis-informed by an agent, re cancelling, but once I copied an email into the support services of that particular agency, I have had a good service.
I was transferred to another ship with another line at no cost.

To the people who wrote from Canada, I'm afraid subjecting my son to the Gay Olympics and singles gay dating onboard is not high on my agenda of ways of being a good parent.
If my son at some stage in his life tells me he is gay, I will not love him any less, but for the time being as parents we are showing what a loving, caring hetrosexual relationship is. I certainly don't apologise for that.
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mark I am glad to see that everything will work out for you. I happen to agree 100 % with you concerning your ideals of raising your children. You were quite discreet in your original post as to seeking response to your booking. I beleive you were not trying to open a can of worms. The fella who replied Jon I think asserts that being Gay certainly is not learned behaviour. I do think the jury is still out on that opinion.
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Our posting was not an effort to change your mind or in any way alter your decision. You have a point of view that is, unfortunately, very widespread in today’s society. We happened to disagree with it.

The intermingling of cultural, racial and social groups is more prevalent today than at any other time in history. Somehow we are all just going to have to get along in a more homogeneous world. It is our feeling that you do your son little favour in shielding him from diversity for not only will he have to come face to face with it in his future, he will have to personally deal with it. What better way than to have his parents introduce him to this world as it really is.

As to comments pertaining to a jury of some type being out on the subject of whether or not homosexuality is learned, then supposedly one must poll this jury on the subject of the causes of heterosexuality. You can tell us that your heterosexuality is as you were made. That would be no less so than what we know of ourselves.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ron n Jon why do you continue to insult this gentleman with your opinions? He did not request your aide in raising his children. He just wanted advise in a cruise matter. I will not reply or involve myself again in this soapbox.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dog
Ron n Jon why do you continue to insult this gentleman with your opinions? He did not request your aide in raising his children. He just wanted advise in a cruise matter. I will not reply or involve myself again in this soapbox.
“Dannysdad” wanted to change the cruise he had booked to yet another. That is his prerogative. He wanted input as to how to go about doing that. Again, that is what this site is for. But he introduced the subject of the presents of gay passengers being aboard as his reason for his displeasure and his need for an alternate cruise. Surely we can see that he has raised a point of discrimination no less acute than had he said there were going to be too many black people aboard.

He raised the subject of the vulnerability of his young son to such a passenger list. We tried to assure him that his concerns were without basis and suggested that the boy’s exposure to the presents of members of the gay community, under his father’s supervision, might have positive and tolerant aspects to the boy future. We cannot find an insult in this and certainly not the degree of insult we received in reading his reasons for rejecting his first cruise booking.

The irony in all of this is that the chosen alternate cruise will have gay passengers aboard, for within the entire cruises we have taken around this world, we have yet to be the only gay passengers aboard any vessel. Hence the Friends Of Dorothy gatherings we have all become accustomed to seeing posted in the ships’ bulletins.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The issue of whether cruise lines should notify their guests in advance of whether or not there will be a large group on board has come up before.
Currently the cruise lines do not make it public knowledge whenever a large group of any kind is booked on a cruise, but I believe it should be public knowledge.

I also agree that if you should have that right to choose to cancel if you do not like the group you will be sailing with.

Unfortunately, it isn't written into the cruise contract that you can cancel for that reason, and so it is up to the discretion of the cruise line.

I hope your travel agent is able to work this out for you. I personally think it makes a good case for choosing a highly experienced cruise agent with plenty of connections and good will with each cruise line. A good travel agent can get almost anything done when they need to, although it isn't always easy for them. This is a case where they really earn their commission - which the cruise line pays them (in case you didn't know).

And I don't think it matters what the group is. If you feel it will be uncomfortable for you that is reason enough. Personally, I wouldn't want to be booked on a cruise with a large group of Polka dancers, because I hate accordians.

Those accordian players - they're SO demonstrative in public! Of course I have nothing aganst their lifestyle, I am just stating a fact that loud vibrating reeds hurt my ears! Im stating that repeatedly and with no malice whatsoever, simply because I think the instrument is a blight on my personal musical taste, even though I have a friend who just happens to play accordian. That is his choice, perhaps he was born liking accordians, I don't know, but of course, nothing I say should be read as indicating I have anything against accordian players if that is what they choose to do.

But I certainly wouldn't want my child playing one. Would you? Can you imagine having to listen to that sound wafting through his bedroom door night after night? Like a cat in heat, moaning and screechy.

Sorry for running on about accordians - but it is April Fool's Day
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
The issue of whether cruise lines should notify their guests in advance of whether or not there will be a large group on board has come up before.
Currently the cruise lines do not make it public knowledge whenever a large group of any kind is booked on a cruise, but I believe it should be public knowledge.
Well, Paul, should the cruise line decide to reveal the types of people who are going to share the ship with you, in addition to the number of Accordian Players aboard, I would hope they will also list, of course, the gays, but too the Jews, the Blacks, the Hispanics the Disabled and, well I thinkyou get my point.
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yes, I do get your point and it is a very good one. I really do not want to appear to be biased here, because personally I am not, but I do understand the desire of many people to make an informed decision.

Naturally, it would wrong, and illegal, to list groups with those perjorative labels. However, I think it would be possible and a service to the travel agents if they had the ability to look up the legal name for any commercial group that had booked more than a certain percentage of cabins on any cruise.

I have had people tell me their cruises were diminished because they were sailing with a group of Wall Street Brokers. The issue is more than how you may feel about certain people, it becomes one of any group of people taking over large sections of the ship. People in groups can get rowdy, and will congregate in large numbers in hot tubs, pool areas, etc.

It makes it more difficult for the solo cruisers to get around the ship.

I realize the subject is fraught with issues, but it is a concern for some cruisers. The cruise lines can easily take the same stance you have rightfully taken, and they do, and so people are often surprised by what they encounter when they get on a cruise. Yet, as I said, the cruise contract won't help them any.

A possible solution would be for any cruiser to Google the name of his ship and the sail date just to see if any groups happen to be advertising. For example, googling "Eurodam October 25 group cruise" will show the group that is going.
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
I see. Its a gay and lesbian group. Do they have the whole ship, or are there just a group of them going? If it's the latter, it might not be that much of a problem. Surely they won't be doing their, Uhh...thing out in the open. If you just have an aversion to their mere presence, then you might want to avoid Northern California, Miami Beach and London too. I guess for me it would depend on how much of the ship they were 'taking over.' If it's more than a third, I guess I'd be more comfortable somewhere else too. But if it's just another travel group, well -- live and let live I guess.
I read about a group like this on Mariner of the Seas about 18 months ago. Posts said these couples were openly fondling each other's privates on the danc efloor and that in the soliarum pool there were actually a couple "going at it".

People were pretty uspet about it as many had their families with them and were concerned about their children seeing this. I can understand- we don't want our small ones to see porn on film, so ofcourse most people do not want their children seeing a "live show". And it has nothing to do with whether the couple is gay or straight. Those things should not be done in public. Especially where a young child might see them. Period.