Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Default Weather between San Diego and Hawaii?

We have tried for several months to find out what the weather is like in October (history) between the above ports. Cruise lines only post port conditions but we cannot get anything on the way over. We are finally taking a chance and booked in October.

Any info from you experienced sailors is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It can be rough. Leaving from California can be rough any time of year, be sure to take along some Bonine (generic name Meclizine) - I am not a doctor, but most cruisers recommend this as the best medicine you can take.

I am not saying you will encounter very high waves, but don't be surprised if you are aware the ship is moving.

The farther south you get, generally the smoother it gets.
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Paul is right! Although both our cruises to Hawaii were from LA (HAL embarked from there when we did it), the weather was quite cool and rough the first couple of days going and the last 2 days coming back to LA.

I can remember sitting outside the front office (which was low and in the middle on the old Rotterdam V) and reading for those 2 days This was the best place to be on the ship.

I swear by Bonine - wish I'd known about it years ago when we first started cruising. I never leave home without it now. I start to take it about 2 days before the cruise and then as I need it.

Enjoy Hawaii - it's beautiful.
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Admiral

The Pacific is the Pacific. It can be rough, as Paul says anytime of the year. or it can be -- well pacific. It will be somewhat cool close to California because of the more northerly latitudes, but after a day or two it will warm up considerably. the 'at sea' days are likely to by very enjoyable.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10