Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Princess has started charging for many little things; pizza delivery to your cabin $1, breakfast or dinner on your balcony, etc. We now have ice cream and coffee bars onboard.
Holy ravoli! They're charging for pizza delivery now? I thought it was bad that they charged for freshly squeezed OJ in the morning! I've never heard of a charge for room service before ... other than the gratuity we give to the person who delivers.

I still say, eventually, we'll be charged for a lot of things that we get as a part of our fare now. I just hope that's not for a long time, though ... long after my cruising days are over.

Some how signing all those chits cheapens the whole cruise experience ... at least for me anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Since my report of not being able to find a place to eat breakfast at 8 am on a sea day has been quoted by Kyros (Rita), I'll offer a few more thoughts on the Lido Cabana situation.

Firstly, it's not as bad as it appears. They're not "my thing," but I'm sure some people will really like them. I saw them more in use during the July 15th sailing then I did on the July 2nd and July 5th sailings. The prices quoted earlier in this thread are currently correct. Personally, I'm more interested in the Retreat cabanas. I'll have more pictures to post in my photo galleries and you'll be able to see them in my signature link in a few days.

Secondly, they do take up about 3/4 of the port side of the Lido-pool window area. Since this is one of the places I like to eat on cool (non humid) days, I find this a major reduction in the areas I enjoy sitting. By the bar there are still a few tables and chairs on the port side, but not nearly as many as there are along the entire starboard side by the windows. The effect is a reduction in the amount of available Lido area seating which, when combined with an increase in the ship's passenger capacity, produced the overcrowding I have reported elsewhere.

Thirdly, it should be noted that on port days I wouldn't expect there to be too much trouble finding a place to sit. The European sailings are port-intensive and I found that, on most port days (when I was aboard for a meal) I had no trouble finding a place to sit either in the Restaurant area or out in the pool area. Of course, 3/4th of the ship was off at the time, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Fourthly, I was informed by an officer that 7:45 am - 8 am is not a good time to try and eat breakfast because that's when everybody else is trying to eat, too. In order to be able to find a place to sit down and eat at breakfast on sea days I should show up at 7 am or wait until 15 or 20 minutes before the close of breakfast ... that way there should be plenty of seating. Yes ... I imagine so.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Beginner

Default private cabanas

I absolutely will, I don't like sitting out in the sun or fighting for deck chairs. I'm booking one for the week next spring.
Old September 17th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, I would not pay extra for seating that should be included in my cruise fare.

As for the saving of chairs, if I want a chair and stuff has been on it for over half an hour I will just set it on the ground and take the chair. Although I rarely see chair hogs on a HAL cruise.