Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Loyalty Program

Is there some sort of loyalty program I have noticed that there is a repeat passenger discount for new bookings on some levels. Are there other rewards for dedicated repeat passengers? Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Captain

Our loyalty to HAL is for the wonderful service and experience we enjoy on HAL ships. HAL has the largest number of repeat cruisers(called Mariners Society on HAL) in the industry and doesn't need to give some of the doo dads some of the other lines give IMO On any given cruise, there are often something like 75-80
% repeaters.

That being said, there is a Mariners Society Program that awards pins and medallions for reaching various levels. Lots of us enjoy wearing them to the Mariners Reception held on every cruise.

As you said, many cruises have a small Mariners discount. However, discounts are reciprocal throughout the Carnival Family of ships. You cannot carry days sailed from line to line but if you have sailed on any of the Carnival Corporation cruise lines, you get the discount. Those lines include Princess, Carnival, Costa, Cunard, HAL, and Seabourn.
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

I think Sails has said it all. There really aren't any rewards for Mariners, even long time ones, because there are so many of us.

I did hear recently that they are going to revamp the program and they may be giving us something, but what it is I really don't know. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you both for the information. After our cruise last year aboard ms Oosterdam I can understand why the percentage of repeat customers is so high. We have booked Holland America again 11/17/08.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Captain

I, too, have heard that DeeDee and can't say it thrills me as some of what I have heard will be given are things we are already paying for as Suite guests. When it becomes duplication for us, it means we are paying more and getting less. We can only use priority embarkation once....we pay for that in our suite fare. We can only use priority tendering once.....we pay for it in our suite fare. When more people are offered it, it becomes 'less priority'.

Of course, at this point, it is only speculation just what will be given and we shall have to wait and see.

I think the only thing that makes sense is a higher discount off booking price depending upon how many days one has or a sliding scale of shipboard credit. All of us like cash.
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Admiral

I agree with you Sails. I know you always take a Deluxe Suite and we sometimes do, so if any of the amenities we now get as you have mentioned, were given to others then I wouldn't be happy because we do pay a lot for those Suites.

Quote:
I think the only thing that makes sense is a higher discount off booking price depending upon how many days one has or a sliding scale of shipboard credit. All of us like cash.

Both those sound like a good ideas.
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Loyalty Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dog
Is there some sort of loyalty program I have noticed that there is a repeat passenger discount for new bookings on some levels. Are there other rewards for dedicated repeat passengers? Thank You
Typically, most known cruise lines have a loyalty/return passenger reward program. And, typically, it is a $200 discount off your next booked cruise if booked while at sea. This commitment involves a small down payment while on board, and is often the same as the discount and can be managed, at your request, by your personal travel agent in lieu of the cruise line. Other rewards for repeat passengers are free cocktail parties hosted by the ships' captain and special recognition exercises for repeat "offenders." :o Some ship lines will honor a request for fresh flowers daily, free fruit, extra towels (?), in addition to a discount off a future trip. Remember: ships Guest Relations/Purser's offices can negotiate on requests made. They can bend the rules and will if you are polite and have a legitimate reason for your request. Watch you TV for account activity charged to your stateroom account daily; if a problem arises, complain immediately and request additional amenities. They will accommodate.

Denny
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Default HOLLAND AMERICA

I have been told that onboard ship credits are given to shareholders of Carnival as they own HAL. If anyone can give me more information on this I'd be grateful.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:28 PM
First Mate

WOW

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Captain

Default Re: Loyalty Program

:[/quote]

Typically, most known cruise lines have a loyalty/return passenger reward program. And, typically, it is a $200 discount off your next booked cruise if booked while at sea. This commitment involves a small down payment while on board, and is often the same as the discount and can be managed, at your request, by your personal travel agent in lieu of the cruise line. Other rewards for repeat passengers are free cocktail parties hosted by the ships' captain and special recognition exercises for repeat "offenders." :o Some ship lines will honor a request for fresh flowers daily, free fruit, extra towels (?), in addition to a discount off a future trip. Remember: ships Guest Relations/Purser's offices can negotiate on requests made. They can bend the rules and will if you are polite and have a legitimate reason for your request. Watch you TV for account activity charged to your stateroom account daily; if a problem arises, complain immediately and request additional amenities. They will accommodate.

Denny[/quote]

Hey, Denny.....

In this instance, you are not correct .

We are discussing HAL and HAL ships. On no HAL ship can you check your shipboard account on the cabin TV. That may be the case on other lines but not so on HAL.

One more thing. IF a person owns 100 or more shares of Carnival Corporation Stock, on many (but not all) HAL cruises, they get a shipboard credit. Proof of ownership of the stock must be presented to your TA who will forward (fax) it to HAL. A shipboard credit if often granted.

Nice benefit. You should look into it.
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Admiral

The problem with Holland America as regards repeat passenger loyalty programs is that HAL is unique in the industry in having an extremely high percentage of repeat passengers on just about every sailing. I would imagine this is because HAL is almost a "niche" line in the industry. It offers certain special features that other cruise lines don't, and for that reason people either love it or hate it after one cruise. Those who hate it never return, so repeat passenger loyalty programs wouldn't matter for them. Those who love HAL, however, come back time and time again. Hence, the cruise line would go broke if they tried to offer the bennies of some of the other cruise lines' past passenger programs. They'd practically be giving them to everyone onboard the ship during some sailings.

But, like DeeDee, I too hear that there are some changes coming down the pike in HAL's repeat passenger program and I am anxiously waiting to see what they are.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
But, like DeeDee, I too hear that there are some changes coming down the pike in HAL's repeat passenger program and I am anxiously waiting to see what they are.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What is it you hear? Did you hear on the ships? From Seattle? What's c'oming down the pike'?
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Alas, too late - I'm running out of HAL ships to sail. Guess I'll have to dive or sub the Prinsendam I. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos

Blue skies ...

--rita

What is it you hear? Did you hear on the ships? From Seattle? What's c'oming down the pike'?
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have heard that Princess gives some free internet time and free laundry.
I'm not sure exactly how loyal you have to be before you get it (or if it's even true). DH wouldn't mind the internet, but like some of the others I wouldn't be happy if everyone got free laundry when I pay for it in the cost of a suite. Holland America does get a large proportion of return cruisers because of the service and attention to detail. Have you ever seen the same level of floral arrangements on any other ship, or cloth towels in the restrooms, just to name a few. But we also pay for these amenities, Hal charges more for it's cruises than other curies lines (not the high end Crystal etc.) so we expect more. A few extras for long time patrons wouldn't hurt.