Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default would a HAL cruise be fun for an 11 and 8 year old?

We are considering either the Eurodam or Carnival Valor for next February. My grandkids are 11 and 8. I know about what Carnival has to offer for kids. What about HAL. Is there children's program as good, or even close?
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Have your grandkids been on a cruise before?? If they have, then they might expect something like Carnival...but then again theyve most likely forgotten it. Their main memory would be that "cruises are fun!" and they dont know the difference between cruise lines.

HAL has an amazing kids program. My sisters were on the Noordam for 11 days this past December and had the time of their lives. Since theres less kids, the councelors can pay more attention to your kid and make sure he/she is having fun.

"Club HALĀ® - Tweens*: Tweens, ages 8-12 might learn golf putting, have disco parties and theme parties, participate in the award-winning National Park Service Jr. Ranger Program on Alaska cruises, compete in on-deck sports events, compete in scavenger hunts or simply play Ping-Pong with a friend. "

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old April 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: would a HAL cruise be fun for an 11 and 8 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee1977
We are considering either the Eurodam or Carnival Valor for next February. My grandkids are 11 and 8. I know about what Carnival has to offer for kids. What about HAL. Is there children's program as good, or even close?
Boy, here we go again: As a travel agent, I will be honest, I love HAL but I would recommend almost any other mass marketed lines for kids if they want to spend a lot of time in the Kids club. Of course if there are many kids out of school at the time the ship will have kids for them to associate with. HAL is trying to attract more families but still isn't doing a great job. I know lots of people think it is a wonderful line for kids, the biggest problem is lack of kids.

If your think your grandkids will enjoy a very subdued experience without lots of activities and you want that as well give it a shot. If you all want to stay busy and do kid stuff go on Carnival, RCI or NCL> This is just my opinion. Of course there is Disney but I have known kids the age of your oldest grandchild that didn't enjoy Disney plus the price is much higher.

Nita
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Admiral

Depends on the particular kiddos. Carnival will certainly have more kiddos than HAL for potential pals. That said my 12YO kiddo has sailed HAL many times with no complaint, but he's also a bit more mature and a very experienced diver and traveler.

Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Personally I think your kids would have much more fun on Carnival than on HAL. HAL really doesn't cater to kids. And many of the old times may possibly give them a hard time. They aren't used to, and don't care for kids on their cruises.
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to agree, part of the fun for kids too, is meeting other kids. On our HAL cruise, there were not many kids. I would opt for another cruise line.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The only thing that concerns me here is how many kids will be onboard either ship in February? School is in session at that time, isn't it?

Can't you plan your cruise during spring or Easter break? Then your kids would have a great time on HAL because the kid's program would be hopping with lots of activities and lots of other kids to do them with.

Regardless of what cruise line you ultimately decide on, I think kids have more fun if they can find a lot of others to hang out with onboard the ship. I would imagine pickings would be slim when school is in session, but of course ... I could be wrong.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The only thing that concerns me here is how many kids will be onboard either ship in February? School is in session at that time, isn't it?
There's a week in February that is President's week and if that's the week the OP is taking about, then there will be a lot of kids on board. Last time we cruised in February, we didn't know it was Pres. week ......... the ship was over-run with kids.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I simply adore HAL, but I would think that it would be torture for your two little ones, because of the age demographics.

That being said, "Club Oasis", a children-only area is pretty neat!

They'd probably have a better time on Carnival.