CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Missing the boat on purpose (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/350287-missing-boat-purpose.html)

Skawt April 22nd, 2008 07:56 PM

Missing the boat on purpose
 
I just found this board, thanks for having me!

I am wondering what Holland America's policies are if I fail to board at a port? I am looking at the sailing this weekend from San Diego to Vancouver and would like to get off in Seattle but this is not allowed.

Are there reprucussions if I somehow missed getting back on the ship in time?

Thanks.

DeeDee April 22nd, 2008 08:56 PM

I am sure there are, but what they would be I don't know. Probably a hefty fine from HAL after they are charged a fine by the US Government.

Why do you want to get off in Seattle? What ship are you on?

Skawt April 22nd, 2008 09:20 PM

You are correct, I just got ths reply from a pal at HAL.

If someone were to miss the ship in Seattle, the ship’s staff would pack up the guest’s belongings for shipment home at guest expense, offloading it in Vancouver… and the guest’s onboard account gets assessed whatever Customs violation fees that are incurred to Holland America Line by the authorities, for leaving someone behind in a port where it’s not allowed. Even accidental, it’s considered an unallowed debark. No idea on those fee amount estimates, I’m afraid. Could depend on the person’s situation, nationality, etc.

I live just outside Seattle and am looking at a last minute cruise this weekend. It would work out better all around to be able to get off in Seattle but it's looking like we'll be able to swing it.

Never booked last minute, will be exciting if it works out. This for the 4/26 sailing of the Oosterdam.

bed7ford April 22nd, 2008 09:20 PM

Repercussions!
 
Yes I'm afraid the repercussions are that you would find your way home without a ticket! Ships try to depart on time and usually only wait for shore excursions booked on the ship which may be late due to traffic etc.
I dont recommend you not turning up on time unless you're prepared to fly home. :roll:

sail7seas April 24th, 2008 05:55 PM

Why don't you call the one source who has the absolute answer. Call HAL. And if they say it is okay, get them to e-mail or fax that to you in writing. I seriously doubt they will permit it but it is possible that if you agree to pay to Passenger Carriage Act Violation Penalty....maybe they'll allow it?? Can't hurt to ask.

Also.....remember they have your credit card number so don't think you can 'pull a fasty'. :)

Moriah April 25th, 2008 06:37 AM

I just read this question and all of the responses and I just don't get it! Are you saying that you want to end your cruise in Seattle rather than Van Couver and you think they won't let you off in Seattle? Is Seattle a port with a stop? If it is.. what is the problem? On my recent cruise to the Carribean, someone decided to go home early and got off in Grand Turk even though our final destination was Fort Lauderdale. She just packed up and told them she was leaving. I don't think there were "repercussions". What am I not understanding here? Ships can't keep you captive! However, I would not "miss the boat on purpose"! Why have people wondering what happened to you? What about your luggage? Don't you think someone will think it's strange that you are getting off to tour Seattle with your suitcase? Why not just leave and be open about it, though? Again, maybe I'm being naive and there is something I don't understand? I'm really curious...

DeeDee April 25th, 2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriah
I just read this question and all of the responses and I just don't get it! Are you saying that you want to end your cruise in Seattle rather than Van Couver and you think they won't let you off in Seattle? Is Seattle a port with a stop? If it is.. what is the problem? On my recent cruise to the Carribean, someone decided to go home early and got off in Grand Turk even though our final destination was Fort Lauderdale. She just packed up and told them she was leaving. I don't think there were "repercussions". What am I not understanding here? Ships can't keep you captive! However, I would not "miss the boat on purpose"! Why have people wondering what happened to you? What about your luggage? Don't you think someone will think it's strange that you are getting off to tour Seattle with your suitcase? Why not just leave and be open about it, though? Again, maybe I'm being naive and there is something I don't understand? I'm really curious...

The problem is that the OP wanted to go from one US port, San Diego, not stop in a "foreign" port, like Vancouver, Canada and get off in Seattle, a US port. This is in violation of the Passenger Services Act Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Services_Act

The person on your cruise got off in Grand Turk which is a British Overseas Territory, therefore a "foreign" port & therefore allowed.

Ron April 25th, 2008 10:19 PM

I really don't understand either--- maybe I'm just dumb or maybe the bad sinus infection I have has something to do with it.
If the OP is just wanting to go from San Diego to Seattle, would it not be cheaper to take a bus , rent a car, fly , etc. rather than pay a cruise fare and then skip out? :-?

jennc April 26th, 2008 12:38 AM

Ok
#1 Vancouver is all one word ( Not VanCouver )
#2 Yes Seattle is a port call
#3 Seattle is about 2 hour drive from Vancouver
#4 You knew the ship's itinerary was San Diego to Vancouver Why did you book the trip if you only want to go as far as Seattle?
#5 The shuttle from Port of Vancouver to Port of Seattle is $26 USD
#6 You can ask special permission from the captain of the ship to disembark in Seattle, however because of the passenger services act I doubt he will allow it.
#7 "edited for content"

JenC

Moriah April 26th, 2008 12:45 AM

JenC,

I am the moderator of a very active forum on another topic, and I know that there is NO reason, EVER to be nasty or insulting to a poster. I confess, I don't get it (the OP's question) either, but why oh why is it necessary to attack them? This just completely floors me! If you don't have something nice to say, why not just say nothing? This is one time our mothers were right! I know I don't enjoy coming to any forum where I have to worry whether people are going to be snapping and sniping at one another.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself more as well, if you take an attitude that everyone is doing their best and mean well with ALL of their questions and answers. It seems to me you had something helpful to offer (your comment #5). Why oh WHY did you find it necessary to couch it in offensive remarks?

Moriah

crusin' fool April 26th, 2008 10:04 AM

The current fine is $300 USD as of last Feb.

bed7ford April 26th, 2008 05:47 PM

MISSING THE BOAT!
 
Right on Jennc. Maybe he was drunk when he posted on this board! :roll:

DeeDee April 26th, 2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriah
JenC,

I am the moderator of a very active forum on another topic, and I know that there is NO reason, EVER to be nasty or insulting to a poster. I confess, I don't get it (the OP's question) either, but why oh why is it necessary to attack them? This just completely floors me! If you don't have something nice to say, why not just say nothing? This is one time our mothers were right! I know I don't enjoy coming to any forum where I have to worry whether people are going to be snapping and sniping at one another.

I'm sure you will enjoy yourself more as well, if you take an attitude that everyone is doing their best and mean well with ALL of their questions and answers. It seems to me you had something helpful to offer (your comment #5). Why oh WHY did you find it necessary to couch it in offensive remarks?

Moriah


As a moderator you should now that typing in caps is "yelling". Please don't yell! :roll:

I'm sorry but I don't see where JenC was being nasty or insulting to the OP.

sail7seas April 26th, 2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

#7 Are you " edited"

It could have been Number 7 on Jenn's list that the Moderator thought a little nasty?

DeeDee April 26th, 2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas
Quote:

#7 Are you "edited"

It could have been Number 7 on Jenn's list that the Moderator thought a little nasty?

Never thought of that - you may be right!

NY Cruisin Mama April 27th, 2008 03:33 PM

Well, I had no problem reading the "sarcasm" in her/his replies - referring
to his correction in the spelling of Vancouver and the "moron" remark.
I though the purpose of this site was for answers to
questions no matter how trival or silly they may seem to the more seasoned traveler. :roll: :roll:

Skawt May 17th, 2008 12:29 PM

Wow, I had not followed up on this thread after posting the respone I got back from HAL.

I thought I had explained the reasoning for the original question clearly but I guess not. I live in the Seattle area and found a crazy good deal on the San Diego to Vancouver cruise. It worked out better for my schedule to just get off the cruise when it stopped in Seattle rather than the next day in Vancouver so I thought I would see if it was possible, found out that it was not possible and decided we would just use Greyhound to get back from Vancouver.

Didn't matter in the end as we could not find anyone to watch the kids Monday night so we didn't end up taking the trip.

Paul Motter May 27th, 2008 05:50 PM

The answer is that it is against the Passenger Vessel Services Act for a foreign company (a non US cruise ship) to transport passengers between two US ports. It conflicts with US companies also offering the same service (though none exist, it is a universal transportation law originally set up to apply to railroads).

The fine is $300 per person, which the cruise line allowed to charge to your account if you happen to just disappear.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 PM.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1