Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tipping for extra's

We are going on the Oosterdam and we could only get anytime dining. We are in a deluxe suite and have the use of the Neptune Consignor. My question is: should I tip him to get a good table in the dining room, or go straight to the Matrie d? I will usually slip them a $20 on Princess and get fantastic service during the entire cruise. I just want the same table, same time, every night for a party of 3.
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

We had anytime dining on our last cruise. We were able to call for a reservation each day for the same table and the same time. A bit of a hassle, but worth it. I bet the consignor could do, we never thought to ask.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

There is no need to tip to get what you want. Actually as an Officer, the Maitre'd (Dining Room Manager is not supposed to take the tip, although I am sure there are some who do)

Check first with the Concierge and let her see what she can do, otherwise go down and see the Maitre'd and his assistants and see what they can do. The location and times for changing tables, etc. will be listed in your daily program.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Does this apply to suites only? i.e. can anyone request a specific table with anytime dining? Thank you
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Captain

Your TA should be handling this for you now rather than you waiting until you board.

People in "S" and "PS" Suites are supposed to have their dining time of choice. You are paying a higher fare for more things than just a larger cabin. They will not promise you which table though you can make a request but you are to have the time you wish.

Your Concierge does not need to be tipped to take care of various things for you. At the end of the cruise, if you feel (s)he has been helpful and made your cruise nicer for her assistance, you probably would want to thank her in the 'universally accepted manner'. We always put an appropriate tip in an envelope and a note of thanks. Conceriges help in many different ways.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

To the Yeoman who replied, thank you for the information. I know how hard the crew works and always like to thank them with a tip. I tried through my TA but she said I had to wait till I got on-board. So I will do as you suggest.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Captain

Your TA is wrong and lazy. (S)he should be handling this for you now.

That is part of the service that should be provided for the commission he/she is earning.

Do not believe him/her if they tell you they cannot handle this for you.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Dee Dee, is that you speaking from the Adventure of the Seas? Bob from Connecticut.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Dee Dee, is that you speaking from the Adventure of the Seas? Bob from Connecticut.
Not ME - I'm a HAL gal all the way!
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tipping for extra's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaikui
We are going on the Oosterdam and we could only get anytime dining. We are in a deluxe suite and have the use of the Neptune Consignor. My question is: should I tip him to get a good table in the dining room, or go straight to the Matrie d? I will usually slip them a $20 on Princess and get fantastic service during the entire cruise. I just want the same table, same time, every night for a party of 3.
Okay, here's where I get myself into trouble ...

I would tip the matri 'd zilch for that request. In fact, as someone staying in a luxury suite, you have priority for dining requests anyway. What I would do ... now, before I get onboard, is contact my travel agent and have her get in touch with HAL. Have her tell them that you are staying in a luxury suite and would like to have such and such size table at your preferred fixed seating time. You should jump to the top of the list without having to give the matri 'd or the concierge in the Neptune Lounge a cent.

In fact, I wouldn't give the concierge any additional tip either unless you really make a lot of use of his services during your cruise. But if you just have the "normal" requests that you make of him ... i.e., getting a couple of DVDs for your stateroom, cashing some travelers checks, etc., I personally don't think it's necessary to tip him. You are already paying for his services with the premium you paid for your suite. That should be more sufficient. Now, of course, if you make a lot of special requests of the concierge, such as getting you rental cards at a bunch of ports, or arranging for in-suite parties, etc., then maybe you might want to grease his palm before disembarkation day ... but otherwise, I wouldn't give him a nickle.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Captain

Kryos....

Perhaps if you actually spend a week or ten days or more with the concierge and Neptune Lounge you might feel differently. There are so many subtlties about their efforts on behalf of suite guests. We almost never have special requests of any sort but have never left a ship without tipping the concierge. We make a lot of use of the Lounge in increments of just a few minutes at a time but a number of times throughout the day.

It's easy to state the hypothetical..... it's the reality that is another story in many cases.

It's all part of the price of the vacation.
But, frankly in this case, it is not relevant IMO It isn't the point in regard to OP's question.

This TA should be handling this now and there should be no question about it. That is part of a TA's job and this TA is shirking his/her responsibilities.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

If your TA does not come through don't worry. The concierge will make it happen.Go to the neptune lounge and he or she will put all your concerns to rest. You are in for a wonderful cruise and will be all smiles. They will treat you royally. The person I like to tip all through the cruise is the cabin steward and some of the really special staff I meet that stand out.Have a great time..........MD
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Update

Thanks for all the suggestions! I called HAL who gave me the direct number to the dining requests for my TA to call (after I told her what cabin I was in). My TA called and my request was granted!

Yippee! Now I won't worry and enjoy packing for my trip all the more. LOVE HAL!
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Captain

Happy you got it settled.

Have a GREAT cruise.