Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Default Upgraded Cabin

I'm new here as I have never sailed on Holland America before so I do want to ask about how Holland has doled out the upgrades for you in the past. I know on NCL and Carnival the upgrades were within the catergory I signed up for (a few cabin steps up.) I expect Holland to be about the same for our unassigned cabin cruise in February but tell me your experience if you will. If I can dream it would be nice to know that it is possible to jump into a whole 'nother category: balcony to suite for instance. I know. I'm dreaming. I think if I see a lot of your experiences I'll get a better idea. I'm already getting excited as the Noordam sounds like a great ship. I say dream big, til you know better. Thank you ahead of time.
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

We've sailed HAL exclusively for over 25 years and even though we always book a particular cabin, we have been, what I would call, upgraded only once and that was from an VA to an SY. Another time we were moved from a B to an A and the only difference was the B was at the aft part of the ship and an A midships - we prefer the B.

I've often read that people taking a Guarantee have been moved up a couple of categories, but very rarely from a balcony cabin to a Suite.

Good luck and enjoy the Noordam. She's a beautiful ship.
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've traveled on HAL over 15 times and have been upgraded but never from a verhenda to a suite. Now, if you book the lowest class suite you will, if the ship is not sold out, might get an upgrade to a higher class suite. Princess will upgrade to a suite from a standard balcony, they have done so for me a few times, but not HAL.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Passenger

Thank you DeeDee and dmaikui. I appreciate that information. I thought that might be the case of not upgraded to a suite when we booked the VE cabin unassigned. Doesn't really matter as anything with a balcony works for me. I was just hoping to hear of some miracles (DeeDee, your story of VA to a suite was almost a miracle.) Thanks to you both! I still can't wait but February is a long way off.
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will most like get a nice balcony cabin. I will hope you get a mini-suite, which is not unusual. Have a great cruise, I know you will, as I love to cruise too and am always anxious even if its 6 months away