Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Oosterdam Lido vs. Dining Room for Dinner

I know what to expect in the dining room, but I have heard that the Lido has the same menu options for dinner (besides Lobster and Crab Legs). Honestly, how is the food quality and selection up on Lido for dinner? It would be nice after a long day ashore to just come back and go upstairs for a relaxing bite once in awhile.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Familiar Face

I travelled on Nordam last year and selected the 8pm lower dining option. Lido was very relaxed and casual and too many kids for my liking.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules in Sydney
I travelled on Nordam last year and selected the 8pm lower dining option. Lido was very relaxed and casual and too many kids for my liking.
Jules - are you sure you were in the lower dining room, because we were on the Noordam twice last year and 8pm dining was in the upper level.

dmaikui

We had dinner one night in the Lido on the Zuiderdam at Xmas and we'll never go there again. As far as I know, they don't have crab legs and lobster there, but then the night we ate there these were not on the menu in the dining room so maybe they do have them.

We had a choice of 3 entrees, appetizer, salad, soup and dessert. We gave our order to the person taking orders, picked up our salad and had no sooner sat down to start this, when our entree arrived. It was cold and tasteless.

Now, I've heard other people say that they love eating in the Lido as it's casual and they enjoyed the food, so it's up to you whether you eat there or not. Try it........ it may be good and you'll like it. Just remember the dining times in the Lido are very short. Sorry I can't remember what they are as I've thrown out all our daily programs.

You can always also have room service.
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello, We ate there once for lunch.We had soup&sand. it was tasty. I can.t answer your dinner questions. We also went there for ice creams. The fun thing was running into people we knew but were unaware they were on the ship. You can really make new freinds there. Everyone is in the happy vacation mood. We went there late one evening for ice cream,but they were closed.A member of the staff saw us and he went in the station and served us a couple of cones smiling and eager to make us happy. This just added to a overall great cruise............MD
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Oosterdam Lido vs. Dining Room for Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaikui
I know what to expect in the dining room, but I have heard that the Lido has the same menu options for dinner (besides Lobster and Crab Legs). Honestly, how is the food quality and selection up on Lido for dinner? It would be nice after a long day ashore to just come back and go upstairs for a relaxing bite once in awhile.
Anything on the dining room menu can be had in the Lido AND in your stateroom.
The advantage is that you don't have to worry about a 'set' time to have dinner.
Though the servers in the Lido are quite attentive you won't recieve the pampering you'd get in the dining room.

This is from our experience on the Rydam but I'll bet it is the same on the Oosterdam.
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Just remember the dining times in the Lido are very short.

What do you mean about the dining times being very short?
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Admiral

On the Ryndam, dining room food could be ordered in the Lido anywhere from 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after the early seating in the dining room.

The food in the Lido itself was available until midnight, I think.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaShrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Just remember the dining times in the Lido are very short.

What do you mean about the dining times being very short?
[color=green]I've made a boo-boo in my statement about the dining times in the Lido being very short and I apologize. For some reason I thought the Lido was only open for dinner in the evening for about 90 minutes. I now find that it's 2 1/2 hours.

I have found a daily program from our Alaska cruise this past May and it states

"Casual Lido Dinner - 5:30pm - 8pm

Dinner in the dining room (Upper Level) starts at 5:30 for early and 7:45pm for late. Open seating in the dining room (Lower Level) is 5:15 - 9pm.

Late Night Snack in the Lido is from 11:00pm - 12 midnight."

Dining Hours in Alaska usually start 15-30 before the times in the Caribbean.

color]
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
On the Ryndam, dining room food could be ordered in the Lido anywhere from 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after the early seating in the dining room.

The food in the Lido itself was available until midnight, I think.
You are right Rinker. I made a mistake. See my post above to NanaShrek.

The Lido dinner closes at 8pm and then re-opens at 11pm until midnight for the Late Night Snack. Now these are the times in Alaska - the Caribbean are a little different.
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
First Mate

DeeDee: thanks for clarifying!