Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Default Drink Ticket Puzzle

We are considering ordering the mixed drink tickets but the question I have is what types of drinks do they serve? Are some types of mixed drinks utilizing the house alcohol limited? Bloody Mary's and those mint vodka drinks that start with an "M" (try figuring that one out lol), Martini's? Anything excluded. I do know we can't get Jack Daniels or premium brands but I am more interested in what types of drinks you can get with whatever brand they use.

Part two: Of those drinks we can get with tickets does anyone have a favorite cruise drink they'd recommend others try?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are speaking of a cocktail card they are good for all the specialty drinks that the bar offers. This would not include premium specialties like Louis 14th at $90. per shot.
Drinks such as martinis, cosmos, pina coladas etc.

My faves are the Lemon Drop and the Green Apple martini. Yum. If you want the most bang for your buck; have a Wang Wang. Warning do NOT have two
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much for clearing it up for me. I think I'll get the card and try a few of these and explore a few surprise drinks. The drink I mentioned that started with an "M" is the Vodka Mojito (with mint and lime) It doesn't matter if they serve that one because the ones you mentioned more than make up for it. I suspect there is more to THAT story so I think I'll stick with one Wang Wang. lol

The lemon drop and the apple martini sounds absolutely GREAT! Thank you for this information.
Old June 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Captain

We haven't sailed Hal since 2003 but are considering the 14 night Maasdam in Feb. What is a cocktail card??? Do all Hal ships have them? How much ??? Thanks
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Jac I'm new to HAL so someone may have a better explanation but this is what I found:

When we booked the trip we found a "Gift Order List" on the HAL website and printed it off. You may want to get a sneak peek at that early so see if you can access it without being booked.

There are two things we are getting from the list and I've read the tips are built in and they can be used anywhere including the dining room:

1. House pouring Wine Card for 10 glasses of wine (Red, White, Rose, Sparkling wine): $41.40. Even if you brought your own wine, there would be a $15 corkage fee per bottle if you wanted to drink it in the dining room so this one seems fair.

2. Signature Cocktail Card for 10 Signature Cocktails: $64.69

Broken down, assuming the tips are included, that is not a bad way to go. I understand you can always order another card on the ship as well if it isn't enough. Hopefully someone here knows if that is true.

You can order more on the list but these are the two we are considering. We're on a ten day cruise in February so the amount divided by two is perfect for us. Besides we can bring wine onboard for our room with no charge, we are covered for the relaxing ocean watching we love so much. As an aside they also have chocolate dipped strawberries and bon voyage champagne. Decadence galore.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Passenger

ignore this one. I double posted.
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Captain

Thanks for info Norcal! Interesting-and not a bad price. I'm curious to find out if any other cruise lines offer anything along those lines. I'll have to do some research
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Captain

Norcal.....
If you have the wine steward bring you glasses of wine each night or cocktails in the dining room, you may wish to tip him/her something additional at the end of the cruise. While there is a service charge on all drinks, most people tip a bit extra.
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Passenger

Sail7seas that is a great idea as I hadn't thought of that. I usually tip the dining room and the cabin stewards and for the drinks as they appear so doing so at the end with the drink tickets (even if tips are taken out) works fine for me. It is still a good value. Thanks.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yeoman

Carnival has coupons on their website for sale for $20 for 4 coupons. Each coupon redeemed will take $5 off of the drink price. So if a drink cost say $6.25 then $1.25 would be added to your onboard account. However if you use 2 of the $5 coupons to cover this same drink, you won't receive change back. We found them to be quite handy. We just like to have as much paid for up front as possible .
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal

Besides we can bring wine onboard for our room with no charge, ....
Is this true for all cabins on all Holland America ships?
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal

Besides we can bring wine onboard for our room with no charge, ....
Is this true for all cabins on all Holland America ships?
Yes, that's true. All the wine or champange you want for your room. If you take it to the dining room, they might charge you a corkage fee.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
We haven't sailed Hal since 2003 but are considering the 14 night Maasdam in Feb. What is a cocktail card??? Do all Hal ships have them? How much ??? Thanks
You buy a card that is good for ten signature cocktails. You can also buy wine cards good for ten or twenty pours of the house brands (white, red, blush, whatever). HAL also sells coffee cards and soda cards as well.

Each time you order a drink, instead of giving the waiter your room key, you give him the drink card. He punches a hole in it. After ten or twenty punches (depending upon how many drinks the card is good for) , the card is used up and you can either buy another or just give the bar server your cabin card for future drinks.

You do save a bit with the Signature Cocktail Card ... like 50 cents on each drink.

My favorite cocktail? Tropical Cable Cars. Ummmmmmmmm .....

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Yeoman

What does "Signature Cocktail" mean? Are they limited to a certain list of drinks? I saw on their website that they sell them for $64.69 for a 10 drink card, but they don't tell you what "Signature" means. I was guessing they were like Carnival or NCL's drink of the day.

P.S. If you like frozen drinks you can't go wrong with a Miami Vice. Half Pina Coloda and half Strawberry Daquiri!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old July 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Yes, drink of the day is equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
What does "Signature Cocktail" mean? Are they limited to a certain list of drinks? I saw on their website that they sell them for $64.69 for a 10 drink card, but they don't tell you what "Signature" means. I was guessing they were like Carnival or NCL's drink of the day.

P.S. If you like frozen drinks you can't go wrong with a Miami Vice. Half Pina Coloda and half Strawberry Daquiri!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

No it isn't. The signature cocktails are what HAL considers "premium" cocktails. The drink of the day specials go for5.95 instead of the 6.25 per Signature cocktail.

Hope this helps.
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Technically correct - guess I just lumped the two together....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
No it isn't. The signature cocktails are what HAL considers "premium" cocktails. The drink of the day specials go for5.95 instead of the 6.25 per Signature cocktail.

Hope this helps.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Yeoman

Yes this helps greatly!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess