Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Default Bringing Alcohol

i am going on my first HAL cruise. i have been a few before and never had a problem sneaking in my own personal alcohol in a mouthwash container. i was wondering if HAL was strict/loose on the penalty of getting caught with it.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Admiral

If they find it they'll take it away from you and give it back to you when you leave the ship. Don't forget - all luggage, whether it's checked or carry-on is scanned.

I just can't see the point of smuggling on alcohol in mouthwash bottles. Doesn't your booze still have the taste of the mouthwash in it????

To me that is really cheap. If you can afford the cruise, then surely you can afford to pre-order a bottle or two to be delivered to your cabin upon your arrival. That's the safest way to go. Check out HAL's website for the price of their liquor.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Captain

HAL permits us to bring water, soda, wine and champagne aboard.

Beer and liquor are not permitted.

You decide if you are a rule breaker or not.
It isn't as though you cannot have a bottle in your room if you want one. Call and order one delivered from a bar/room service or per-order from Ships Services and it will be waiting in your cabin when you board.

I'd be humiliated if I was caught smuggling a bottle of liquor. I'd feel so cheap. Of course, they catch some people every cruise.

I noticed your post name is "hometownhero'...... How would you feel if they caught you?
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I knew a guy that would go play golf and would stuff his golf bag with empty soda and beer cans as he would go along from hole to hole. Some people will do anything to save a buck. He had a heck of a time finding anyone who would play golf with him. People would laugh. It was pathetic.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
If they find it they'll take it away from you and give it back to you when you leave the ship. Don't forget - all luggage, whether it's checked or carry-on is scanned.

I just can't see the point of smuggling on alcohol in mouthwash bottles. Doesn't your booze still have the taste of the mouthwash in it????

To me that is really cheap. If you can afford the cruise, then surely you can afford to pre-order a bottle or two to be delivered to your cabin upon your arrival. That's the safest way to go. Check out HAL's website for the price of their liquor.
Dee Dee I didn't know you could order the bottles for your room as it didn't show up anywhere. After reading your post I went back to the HAL website and checked it better and sure enough I found it. All this time I thought the only choice was to buy drinks by the glass on HAL. Glad I read this string (at a minimum my husband will be thrilled.)
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Glad you found it, Norcal.
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Admiral

We always order a bar set up. So simple and easy.

Note to admin:
Any chance of this site setting up this subject as a topic?
I really think it would benefit many people, especially new arrivals.
We all want to help them and I personally think that they would benefit from it without us having to repeatedly repost our experiences and suggestions.

Just an idea.
Old June 18th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
We always order a bar set up. So simple and easy.
I couldn't find the bar setup. What I found was the page with the list of different individual liquors (Rum, vodka, whiskey etc.) I found that page under the gift section when I got to the page that you check who you are buying for. The website doesn't make it easy for new HAL cruisers to find these things. lol
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Ooops, I should have added that we use our travel agent to set it up.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Norcal Call Ship's Services 1-800-541-1576 and they will help you with your order for a bar set up.

They will charge it to your credit card and it will be waiting for you in your cabin when you board.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Passenger

They allow you to take a bottle of wine in your checked baggage if its in a foam container bag,drink the wine at home and then fill the wine bottle with your favorite booze.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Passenger

re Old Salt's response.

Has the policy on bringing wine aboard changed? In February I brought 3 bottles aboard the Westerdam---one in my carry-on and two in my checked bags. There was no special foam container involved.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhardt
re Old Salt's response.

Has the policy on bringing wine aboard changed? In February I brought 3 bottles aboard the Westerdam---one in my carry-on and two in my checked bags. There was no special foam container involved.

No HAL's policy has not changed about bringing wine on board. They allow wine and champagne, but not liquour or beer & you don't have to put the wine in your checked luggage. You can bring on all the wine/champagne you want.

I think what Old Salt is saying is to drink the wine at home and then fill the empty bottle with liquour - in otherwords "sneak it on".

I don't know where he got the idea that the wine had to be in a foam container and put in your checked luggage...... that's a new one to me, I've never heard of that. Some people take a case of wine on board and that certainly can't be put in your checked luggage.

As far as I'm concerned you can never get the taste of the wine out of the bottle no matter how much you clean it!

It makes me laugh, people can afford to go on a cruise yet they can't seem to afford a bottle of liquour and resort to smuggling it on. To each his own I guess.
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Remember the bee-hive hair-dos women use to wear. Wear a bee-hive and you could hide several bottles of booze and even maybe sneak a couple of kids onboard...........MD
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Admiral

I have agreed with Dee Dee's last comment about smuggling booze since I found this site.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhardt
re Old Salt's response.

No HAL's policy has not changed about bringing wine on board. They allow wine and champagne, but not liquour or beer & you don't have to put the wine in your checked luggage. You can bring on all the wine/champagne you want.

I think what Old Salt is saying is to drink the wine at home and then fill the empty bottle with liquour - in otherwords "sneak it on".

I

I don't know where he got the idea that the wine had to be in a foam container and put in your checked luggage...... that's a new one to me, I've never heard of that. Some people take a case of wine on board and that certainly can't be put in your checked luggage.

As far as I'm concerned you can never get the taste of the wine out of the bottle no matter how much you clean it!

It makes me laugh, people can afford to go on a cruise yet they can't seem to afford a bottle of liquour and resort to smuggling it on. To each his own I guess.
I got this from TSA Guidance.

Alcoholic beverages
Alcoholic beverages placed in checked baggage must adhere to the following size restrictions and package guidelines.

For all alcoholic beverages:

* When placed in checked baggage, glass bottles must be in a Styrofoam-type insert that is molded to the shape of the bottle and completely encloses the bottle
* Customs regulations outside the U.S. may have additional alcohol transport restrictions

Proofs of alcohol vary. The guidelines for the varied proofs of alcohol are as followed:

Alcoholic beverages – less than 24 percent by volume (48 proof)

* Includes most beer and wine
* No limit on amount that can be accepted

Alcoholic beverages – 24 to 70 percent by volume (48 - 140 proof)

* Covers most alcoholic beverages
* Limited to 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per passenger

Alcoholic beverages more than 70 percent by volume (140 proof) are not permitted onboard the aircraft.

Carry-on guidelines

Until further notice, TSA restrictions for carry-on baggage still apply.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Good info but it applies to air travel and not the policies of the various cruise lines.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Passenger

Flying is the only way I can get to the port and I check my bags all the way through to the ship, so I have to go with TSA rules unless I fly early and leave from some hotel.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I pre-ordered vodka from HAL's website and it was in our cabin when we arrived.

We ordered (online) almost 3 cases of wine from Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale prior to our Westerdam cruise a couple of months ago. They had it boxed and ready for pick up when we arrived. We had brought with us a collapsible hand truck and simply wheeled the two cases onboard. Anything we drank in our cabin was free. Anything we brought to the dining room was charged a $15 corkage fee, which we happily paid. We were able to enjoy the wines we prefer and we saved $$ as well. The wine sommolier was very attentive and enjoyed sampling our wines, as well as discussing our selections. I wish all cruiselines were as liberal as HAL with regards to bringing wine onboard.