Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Default Dress other than formal nights?

There has been a lot of discussion about what is acceptable on formal nights, but what dress is required on HAL for other evenings and other meals? Going to Alaska later this month and just wondering what to pack. Will nice jeans be ok for breakfast and lunch in the main dining room?
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Definitely! On our Alaska cruise in May, there were 2 formal nights and the rest were "casual", not elegantly casusal, or country club casual or whatever they call it in the Caribbean. I wore a nice pair of jeans a couple of nights and they were fine. DH did the same.

We never go to breakfast or lunch to the dining room - always eat in the Lido - so we wore our jeans to dinner in the dining room. There were a lot of people in jeans. Alaska is far more casual.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Beginner

What about formal nights? I have 13 and 19 year boys that will be wearing dress shirts and ties, but no jackets. Will this offend anyone or will they even be allowed in the dining room on formal nights? Almost embarassed to ask
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:09 PM
Admiral

I am sure there will be some people offended if they don't wear jackets and there will be others who don't care. However I fee the 19 year old is an adult and really should wear a jacket on formal nights. The 13 year old will be fine.

I know you probably don't want to put out the money for a jacket for the older boy but maybe you can pick one up for him at a Thrift shop or someplace where it won't cost you very much.

Older "boys" look so smart when they are dressed up and so do the young ones. I've often seen them dressed in tuxes and they look so cute.

I don't know if you are aware but you can rent formal outfits for them through HAL. There will be a form included with your docs. My friend has done this any time she takes her young nephews with her.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Thank you- its been a few years since we cruised HA and the dress shirts and ties were fine and no one said a thing, but i heard that the ship was getting stricter and refusing to allow entry on fomal nights for folks without jackets.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Yes, and your boys would have been a few years younger and wouldn't have needed a jacket.

Once your older son leaves the dining room, he can take his jacket off, which I am sure he will very quickly.

Have a great time!

Don't be embarrased to ask any question. That's what we are all here for - to help you if we can.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Yeas jeans will be O.K. for breakfast and lunch, but I would not wear jeans in the dining room to dinner, slacks and a nice ports shirt will do.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Beginner

We're leaving on the Zuiderdam next week, and I've gone through the same clothing crisis for my husband and 13 y.o. son. Since we are doing an extra couple of days in Rome and then flying to Venice, we are limited to the one bag/20 kilo luggage rule for a domestic flight on Alitalia. Makes choosing clothing much more difficult, especially those heavy suitcoats. 13 is a weird age - kids can be such different sizes! My son happens to be on the larger end at 6' 2"; his best buddy is about a foot shorter and 70 pounds lighter! In this case, while his friend might be fine without a suit jacket, my son is the size of an adult and would not. Age is only one indicator, I guess.

We rented formalwear for them and they are each taking one sport coat, which they will wear on the plane from Rome to Venice. (solves THAT luggage weight issue!)

Have a wonderful cruise,

Cathy