Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Familiar Face

Default Booked on Oosterdam Mediterranean Empires cruise 2009

Would like some feed back on the excursions from the ports of call. Too early yet to sign up or even see what is offered, so thought I would see if anyone who has been on it would like to reply. It is the Venice roundtrip cruise, ports of call are Split, Croatia, Athens Greece, Istanbul Turkey, Mykonos, Greece, Ephesua, Turkey, Santorini, Greece and Datakolon Greece. Any recommendations on hotel near the port in Venice or excursions in and around the city as we will spend a few days there before boarding the ship Thank you for any information you can give. We just returned from our 1st cruise to Alaska and loved every minute!! and received lots of good information from this website..so thanks for that too.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

This is a great itinerary, and a great ship to take it on.

Ephesus, Santorini and Katakolon are all interesting ports. In Venice, for convenience, I suggest staying near the railroad station and get to know the Vaporetto.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you for your reply. Are there any interesting tours in those ports that we should sign up for?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Familiar Face

What a coincedence - I did Alaska last year on The Noordam and am doing the Med Empire in July 2009 as well.

What date are you sailing?

I've been to Venice before, so I'd suggest spending 2 or 3 days there doing a self tour, a gondola ride, explore the Rialto Bridge, Murano for the stunning glass, San Marco Square for the architecture. It is so easy to get lost there, so I'd recoemmend staying close to Saint Marks Sqaure as that is the easiest place to find in Venice.

Santorini has the most stunning sunsets and I am hoping to make it down to Oia this time. (I stayed close to Fira town last time). Mykonos is a crazy island - mainly under 30's party there - check out "Little Venice" in Mykonos Town where they have great restaurants and a view of the windmills. Platyos Yialos has a great swimming beach and crystal clear water. Paradise and Super Paradies are the "nudie" beaches! All these beaches are on the southern end of the island

The rest will be new to me too!!!
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Beginner

We are also on this itinerary in June 2009. Have not been to any of the cities on the list except Venice. You'll love Venice, which is truly like no other city in the world (canals, and all that). Having said that, it's expensive and takes plenty of time to get around. I'd second the earlier poster...stay not too far from St. Mark's Square, just for convenience, but plan to do lots of walking. No need to get a formal tour of the city...just get a map (DO get a mpa!) and start walking. The one place I wouldn't miss is St. Mark's Church, which is a nice blend of West meets East, and an appropriate way to start this cruise.