Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Default I am over the moon!!!!

I am going on my first vacation in years...and I am sooo happy to be cruising to Alaska on 07/13/08. Any tips, suggestions, ideas what to do, see or eat or drink??????
Should I go to the Red Dog Saloon? Is there lobster on board? What is a must not miss?
Please help this newbie. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
Admiral

What ship? What ports?

They usually have small lobster tails one night - surf & turf or just surf if you want it. No whole lobster. Lots of salmon after all you are in Alaska.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Beginner

OOpsie....Oosterdam....the ports are: Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria and then back to Seattle. Thank you for responding.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Salmon Bake in Juneau, the gardens in Victoria, Otter watching in Sitka, Totem Pole Park in Ketchikan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoluv
OOpsie....Oosterdam....the ports are: Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria and then back to Seattle. Thank you for responding.
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
Beginner

Thank you so much. I will look into your suggestions...I am overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I am going with family and we rescheduled already once due to serious health issues and we just heard today that it is on for sure. I am just dorking out over this.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default What to do in Alaska

You will have a ball - I went to Alaska last year on the Noordam.
My 65 year old mum and I saved our pennies and did the helicopter and dog sled ride across a glacier.
It was not cheap - but thats something you can NEVER do in Australia!!!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Mendenhall Glacier and Salmon Bake in Juneau and then drop in at the famous Red Dog Saloon for a draft.

We've done Alaska 3 times and loved every minute of if.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: What to do in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules in Sydney
You will have a ball - I went to Alaska last year on the Noordam.
My 65 year old mum and I saved our pennies and did the helicopter and dog sled ride across a glacier.
It was not cheap - but thats something you can NEVER do in Australia!!!
My SIL did that dog sled ride as well and she thought it was the highlight of her trip. When we go I plan on including that one.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Beginner

What ship? My family is cruising HA on the 12th- inside glacier passage- we are over the moon too- and looking for excusion advise too
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Misty fjords in Ketchikan,,,absolutly Buchart Gardens in Victoria. Somehow walk on a glacier (helicopter tour) or do a dog sled or both.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the advice everyone...I really appreciate it. We are going to be on the Oosterdam....I said the 13th but it's the 12th..my days are all a-scramble in my mind.
Does anyone know what I should not miss out doing on the ship itself?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Familiar Face

On the actual ship I really enjoyed the tour of the kitchen and day spa which was offered on day one of the trip if I recall.

Also on day one or 2 was a silver service high tea.
Although this was offered everyday - the very first day was 10 time better than every following day.

I also enjoyed the "big gala show" which was about 10pm on night #3
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Admiral

[quote="Jules in Sydney"]On the actual ship I really enjoyed the tour of the kitchen and day spa which was offered on day one of the trip if I recall.

Also on day one or 2 was a silver service high tea.
Although this was offered everyday - the very first day was 10 time better than every following day.

This is really not "high tea" - it's just afternoon tea. On longer cruises they do have what they call Royal Dutch High Tea" one afternoon in the dining room. There they have little sandwiches, biscuits, clotted cream, fancy little cakes, cookies, etc. Now the Brits will tell you that it's nothing like their High Tea.

I also enjoyed the "big gala show" which was about 10pm on night #3.

Do mean the Chocolate Extravaganza? This is the only thing I can think of that they hold at 10pm other than the nightly entertainment shows in the Vista Lounge. Sometimes it's held in the afternoon. When it's held at 10pm we never go as we have just finished dinner. One of these times, maybe we'll skip dessert and have it at the Chocolate buffet. It does look delicious.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Beginner

You will LOVE your cruise. On Hubbard Glacier don't forget to make your way all the way forward on deck 4 to the bow of the ship. It's the only day the bow will be open and you'll be SO glad you did. Bundle up - it can be chilly with those winds off the glaciers but the experience is so worth it! Usually there are waiters coming around with hot cider and pea soup as well!

Have FUN!
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I am over the moon!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoluv
I am going on my first vacation in years...and I am sooo happy to be cruising to Alaska on 07/13/08. Any tips, suggestions, ideas what to do, see or eat or drink??????
Should I go to the Red Dog Saloon? Is there lobster on board? What is a must not miss?
Please help this newbie. Thank you so much.
lobster, yes: go to the REd Dog Saloon? Yes. have a great time: yes.

I don't know what to advise you to do, but I will say, normally doing your own tours will be cheaper, but watch the time.

I think you will love HAL, the cabins are great, the ships clean and they do know how to cruise Alaska.

Have a great time.

Nita
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Beginner

I wish you all were going with us...what a blasty blast we would have. So we went down to the pier tonight and saw where we would be leaving from.....one step closer!!! I live near the Seattle area. And then a quick cheap stop at Dick's for burgers. Weather beautiful tonight for a drive. I can't wait!!!

Thank you all for reading my message and responding with your great ideas and kind words.
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

If you can fit it in, definitely do the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Helicopter if you can afford it!!

Still, the best part of the cruise to Alaska is the cruise itself and the spectacular scenery from the ship Make full us e of that.
Bon Voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08